PDA

View Full Version : Tubular glue: how much drying time is too much?

Gsinill
05-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Started a set of wheels with Panaracer rim cement but ran out of it after 2 layers on the rims and 1 on the tires.
Thought I had 3 but only had 2 tubes left.
Stuff is not available at any of my LBS, so I had to order and won't get it before mid next week.

Is it an issue to have them dry for 4 days before I can apply the final layer?

Neil
05-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Nope

oldpotatoe
05-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Started a set of wheels with Panaracer rim cement but ran out of it after 2 layers on the rims and 1 on the tires.
Thought I had 3 but only had 2 tubes left.
Stuff is not available at any of my LBS, so I had to order and won't get it before mid next week.

Is it an issue to have them dry for 4 days before I can apply the final layer?

No issue

After ya get the glue
-one on tire, followed immediately by a second(thin coats), when not sticky to touch(about 15 minutes)
-another on rim, mount, wee bit of air, center, roll on ground, let dry-go ride.

ultraman6970
05-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Im not familiar with the glue the op is using but usually when you put an extra coat the old glue reactivates.

quattro
05-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Recently got a new set of tubular wheels so I'll be in the same boat soon.
What brand of glue is best for the job?

Thanks,
quattro

Dead Man
05-21-2016, 05:05 PM

Mastik One

where you been?

quattro
05-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Mastik One

where you been?

Been 44 years since I last rode tubulars, all on clinchers, that's where I've been

oldpotatoe
05-22-2016, 05:15 AM
Recently got a new set of tubular wheels so I'll be in the same boat soon.

Thanks,
quattro

I like Panaracer, clear, doesn't get thick in the opened can, a little goes a long way.
Use in well ventilated place or you will 'take a trip without leaving the farm'..also Vittoria..Conti overpriced..no need for 'carbon wheel' glue-.

TimAZ
05-22-2016, 08:46 AM
My favorite glue is Vittoria Mastik 1. I buy it in cans and funnel it in to a 99 cent clear old school style ketchup bottle. I can lay a smooth bead of glue down half way around a rim or tire and then use a acid brush (which I cut the first couple mills of the brush with scissors to make the brush stiffer and less wide) to smooth the glue. Very few glue stringers and way faster.

pjmsj21
05-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Sorry for jumping on, but am glueing up my second set of wheels today. How much do you inflate the tires that are ready to mount?

oldpotatoe
05-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Sorry for jumping on, but am glueing up my second set of wheels today. How much do you inflate the tires that are ready to mount?

No air when you mount, valve in hole, pinch tire, push down on both sides, pinch, pull over rim. Bit of air to center, roll on ground with pressure, bit more air, let dry. Lotsa air when not 'set' and tire will rotate to 90 degrees.

Dead Man
05-22-2016, 01:17 PM
No air when you mount, valve in hole, pinch tire, push down on both sides, pinch, pull over rim. Bit of air to center, roll on ground with pressure, bit more air, let dry. Lotsa air when not 'set' and tire will rotate to 90 degrees.

No air to mount? I fill to probably .5 bar.. just enough to firmly hold shape, but still squishy...

From the valve, I stretch the tire out and stick it to the rim up both sides till I get about halfway, flip it over and hook the wheel with my toe, and continue stretching/placing the tire till I get to the "top", then pull the last bit over.... no post-mount centering required, as I center it as I mount it

Gsinill
05-22-2016, 01:31 PM
I like Panaracer...

Me too, just so friggin' hard to get.
Looks like Wheel&Sprocket in Appleton WI is literally the only place that has the 100ml can (they sell through Amazon and eBay).

oldpotatoe
05-22-2016, 02:01 PM
Me too, just so friggin' hard to get.
Looks like Wheel&Sprocket in Appleton WI is literally the only place that has the 100ml can (they sell through Amazon on eBay).

Vecchio's