PDA

View Full Version : Ridin' in the Rain

Too Tall
06-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Who's with me?

It is summertime and we have to go to an unveiling later in the morning. I wake up, it is pouring down buckets...a warm summer rain :) Woo ah wooooo.

What's wrong with me? I know the bike will be filthy...I don't care I know that I'll get a flat...so what and dangit this is just great fun.

Anybody else dig riding in really foul weather?

Sandy
06-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Not me.

:) Spring Sprinkles Summer Showers Serotta Sandy :)

Kevan
06-25-2006, 08:58 AM
I just cleaned my bike.

Fat Robert
06-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm fine with rain

Ray
06-25-2006, 09:39 AM
We had all manner of flooding here last night. A bit of a letup this morning, but still pretty foul. Rode an hour in steady but not hard rain just to do a quick 15 mile loop down to the Brandywine Creek and look at the damage. The floods had receeded enough that everything I wanted to ride was passable, but pretty friggin' muddy. A short ride, but we're sposed to be back in Noah's neighborhood by this afternoon, so I figured an hour was better than nuthin.

-Ray

Larry8
06-25-2006, 09:50 AM
I ride my junker which was converted to one speed in the rain, while my Serotta stays clean and dry in the garage. I think of it like a boat........two hours of maintanance for every hour playing if you ride your good bike in the rain.

Fixed
06-25-2006, 09:54 AM
bro if i have a choice I'll do without rain .I don't like riding through 3 feet of water . but it's better than stay'n in . i.m.h.o.
cheers

victoryfactory
06-25-2006, 10:20 AM
It smells like..... Victory Factory.

The road bike is too dangerous in the rain, bad visability
flats, etc.

When it rains, I get out the MTB. You can jump a curb, escape from traffic,
It seems better suited to bad weather.

This morning, MTB in the rain. Big fun, baby. Got SOAKED!...

VF

dbrk
06-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Fenders.

dbr[ightasrain]k

Fixed
06-25-2006, 10:30 AM
bro het een grote dag is om uw fiets te berijden geniet van dag
cheers

dbrk
06-25-2006, 10:55 AM
This works well in the rain.

dbrk

Sandy
06-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Fenders.

dbr[ightasrain]k

Nope. Chauffeur. :)

:) Snobbish Serotta Sandy :)

keno
06-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Rollers and AC/DC. Nothin' fouler.

keno

ShockTreatment
06-25-2006, 11:22 AM
TT - Did a 2 1/2 hour ride this morning in the pouring rain, and loved every minute of it (except I need to get my riding buddy to install fenders). Didn't even need to clean my bike.

Elefantino
06-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Rode 38 miles in a steady rain the morning. Drove 45 minutes to get to the ride.

No, not too bright. But I wanted some miles and I liked the route. We were supposed to do 55, but cut it short because of the rain.

Going out to blow-dry the bike now.

yeehawfactor
06-25-2006, 11:47 AM
i feel like a harda$$ when i ride in the rain. even if it's only a gentle shower once the drops start falling from the helmet i'm any belgian in paris-roubaix.

manet
06-25-2006, 12:19 PM
http://home.arcor.de/abu/robert/story.htm

mikemets
06-25-2006, 12:27 PM
I just cleaned my bike.

Did 56 miles this morning, and I'd say 10 of it was in a heavy downpour, loved every minute of it. Warm rain, and once you're that wet, what the heck, just enjoy.

Had some sun at the end

sg8357
06-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Bridgestone on rain riding

"In the finest, oldest, most revered and sanctified tradition of the classic northern European road frame that those Dutch and Belgian farmers-turned-cyclists ride everyday from dawn to dusk (weather be hanged), over wet and dung covered cobbles with only a fist full of cobbler crust for sustenance during the typical 202km day."

Sounds like heaven to me, or at least Luxembourg.

Scott G.

terry
06-25-2006, 01:51 PM
with this mornings ride i just went over 1000 miles for the year...on my friggin rain bike! i love riding in the rain but this year its just getting ridiculous, i like the sun too.

Fixed
06-25-2006, 03:02 PM
bro it's raining here too
cheers

Too Tall
06-26-2006, 07:14 AM
LOVE hearing rain riding stories :)
As it turns out my rain ride was the calm before the storm.
That eve. we got a deluge that overwhelmed our creek...which rose about 6 feet and flooded the garage and basement.

Rover-Rich
06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
LOVE hearing rain riding stories :)
As it turns out my rain ride was the calm before the storm.
That eve. we got a deluge that overwhelmed our creek...which rose about 6 feet and flooded the garage and basement.

Yikes TT, get out the kayak and do some cross training :)

cs124
06-26-2006, 07:58 AM
i HATE starting out in the rain, but once i'm out it's fine... in fact some of my most memorable rides have been in the p!ssing rain

Climb01742
06-26-2006, 09:02 AM
http://home.arcor.de/abu/robert/story.htm

that is one of my favorite photos ever. says more than any 1000 words.

manet
06-26-2006, 09:10 AM
that is one of my favorite photos ever. says more than any 1000 words.

... and cars leave you alone when you look like that

Too Tall
06-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Good call R.R. I started learning to scull. Slow fish fear me.

72gmc
06-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Rollers and AC/DC. Nothin' fouler.

keno

Try Vee Vee by Archers of Loaf. Haven't had my rollers out in a while but something tells me it would be a good combo...

Too Tall, my favorite rain riding memory: 2 years ago. A dark dank cold nasty Saturday. Husky men's team in the NCAA tournament second round. Every reason to stay inside, drink Black Butte, and watch the tube. Instead, I taped the earpiece of an old Walkman into one ear (leaving the other open for "safety") and went out for 3 hours in the slop. Those few who were out that day saw a filthy fool pumping his arms and riding that much faster because his team was winning.

Kirk Pacenti
06-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I love the rain, fendered or not. I actually excel in cold / wet conditions. All of my personal best have been in wet, rainy conditions.

Conversely, anything over 85* F and humid, and I really come un-glued! Just don't like if for some reason.... ???

goonster
06-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Yesterday I did a good five hours on the gravel/paved trail, from home, on the aluminum drop-barred MTB. Good fun and I was pretty much the only one out there. I got a good slathering of grit, but neoprene booties kept the feet dry.

I don't mind rain as long as it's not too cold, and the best garment is a $10 rain cape with the sleeves cut off at the elbows.

StephenCL
06-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I did 2 1/2 hours in the rain this afternoon. Roads are covered with leaves and branches from the storms over the last few days. Actually rode the MxLeader today....makes me feel like a spring classic.

Usually ride my ti in the rain with vittoria all weathers, great tubbie for the rain. My favorite is 55 degrees and rain. Knickers, arm warmers and a rain cape.....that is what cycling is all about.

Thanks for asking the question. It is great to get my mind off this whole LA and doping stuff....

Stephen

Tom
06-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Ah, tomorrow it's going to be pouring in the morning. I'm going to have a ball.

Kevan
06-27-2006, 06:26 AM
I was planning on cycling to work this morning, but it was pouring outside. Dealing with wet clothes at the office is...well, an inconvenience. I shrug it off, jump into the car and drive a mile into perfectly dry pavement the rest of the way.

It better damn-well pour tonight on my drive home.

sspielman
06-28-2006, 07:26 AM
I will generally use a rainy day as a rest day...but that rule falls all apart when we are getting the first installment of 40 days and 40 nights...I don't mind riding in the rain when it is warm, so after two days off, I knew I had to do a decent ride last evening. I got the rain bike pumped up and headed out the steamy light rain. I noticed that both tires were pretty pathetic excuses for worn out tubulars, but my rule is that I don't replace tires on the rain bike until they are flat....because that happens soon enough. So, I got warmed up and had just started riding tempo when the first flat occurred...kindly enough on the front. For those who may be interested it was a very old Gommitalia Aurum....the sidewall latex was dry, and I felt pretty good about having gotten every penny's worth out of this tire. What this meant, though, was that I had used my only spare just 4 miles into the ride....I am very pleased to report that the spare tire was inflated very easily with a 20+ year old plastic Silca Impero pump. So off I was again with no spare.."Bruno LOVES danger"...Not to P off the intelligent design crowd or anything, but I know that we are evolved from aquatic species, because I was utilising gills to do my breathing. So another 35 miles went by through everything from drizzle to deluge....Then , just 4 miles from home, another flat. My choices were to call home for a ride and wait in the rain and filth up the car..or just ride home on the flat. The flat was on the rear, and it is much easier to ride with a flat on the rear than on the front. Actually, it rode pretty well except for the repeated bumping of the valve on each revolution...It was actually smoother than most cheap sewups...far better than a Vittoria Mondiale....So that is how the ride was completed...all in all something a little short of MP
Hey, thanks for reading...

All ATMO, IMHO, Bro

Tom
06-28-2006, 09:39 AM
It was a great day. 70 degrees, light to moderate rain, even a front flat out where I turn toward home didn't diminish from the pure pleasure. 33 miles and I wish I could have stayed out all day.

davids
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Good call R.R. I started learning to scull. Slow fish fear me.
Saturday and Sunday, it was raining in Boston. I was sculling in Maine. :banana: I think this summer commuting thing may work out...

Too Tall
06-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Sspielman, hilarious....I was eyeballing my fr. tyre on the rain ride a few days back...waiting for it to die...mega miles on a Conti Sprinter..bald...cracked and just plain sketchy...which it did :rolleyes:

Folks, the apocolypse begins in the NE. On the streets of DC I've seen reds and blues hugging, crying and walking to gather...two by two I tell yah in the most unnatural pairs. Golly, it's soggy and epic. SUKS!!!

Rode to work yesterday in the rain...had to climb over two huge down trees and dance thru several mud slides. On the way home heaven decided I needed deep cleansing. Have you ever been outside in the rain where it rained so hard that it hurt your eyes and had to stop...close your eyes and wait for a break? Yeah, it was like that. Cars were stopped and I could see better than them so I just rode along sipping rain water off my lip and laughing like an (deep cleansed) id-git.

Life is good.

Ray
06-28-2006, 12:17 PM
I rode in the rain a few days ago, but not for the last couple because it was getting, uhhh, INTENSE. Today's been kind of sunny so I decided to try. I couldn't get anywhere. All of the creek crossings were flooded. There was one place where cars could get through, barely, and it was backed up for miles. I ended up doing about a 15 mile loop, which is all I could do, and had to pass through about 8 inches at one point to complete the loop. A couple of news photographers were out and asked me to wait until they got their cameras ready before I crossed. So maybe I'll be on TV for 5 seconds in the Philly area tonight (channels 6 and/or 8).

The new Spectrum has been baptised and now is ready for anything!

-Ray