PDA

View Full Version : Tube Question

wdlewis
06-25-2006, 08:41 AM
I have recently had 2 tubes go bad and both problems were around the stem. One developed a hole where the stem is attached to the tube and the other stem just won't hold any pressure.

I inflate to 120 pounds per the tire's instruction.

Should I bleed off pressure after riding?

David Kirk
06-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Is it possible that your pump fits too tightly to the stem and it's getting damaged when you pull the pump head from the stem?

Dave

obtuse
06-25-2006, 09:44 AM
I have recently had 2 tubes go bad and both problems were around the stem. One developed a hole where the stem is attached to the tube and the other stem just won't hold any pressure.

I inflate to 120 pounds per the tire's instruction.

Should I bleed off pressure after riding?

were they bontrager race x lite tubes? there is a really bad batch of them out there. bring'em back to the shop and have them replaced with michelin tubes or contis. bontrager knows about the problem and doesn't have any tubes available right now because they are fixing the problem.

obtuse

wdlewis
06-25-2006, 02:06 PM
The tubes are Kenda.

The pump head is VERY tight so that might be the problem.

Thanks.

531Aussie
06-25-2006, 11:30 PM
i wrap gaffa tape around the base of the stem, and this has stopped me tearing tubes at the valve, even at 160psi, or when ripping my sticky Silca nozzle off. :)

the only minor downside is that the valve sometimes get slightly stuck in the rim hole, so I've just gotta push it out with a tyre lever