PDA

View Full Version : Launching from the house - bulkhead or front door?

eippo1
05-20-2016, 12:54 PM
So we've got a new house and the bikes are in the basement and I have a couple options for leaving the house. I could go out the bulkhead, but that leaves me with no real way of locking the house behind me. Suppose I could throw a ulock on the door handles while I'm gone, but that's not ideal.

Otherwise, I could take the bike upstairs and out the front door, but then I have a narrow staircase with a funky hallway door situation making it super awkward and then have to deal with getting the bike out the door and my dog wanting to go with me.

I guess the 3rd option is to install a better basement door or maybe even change it to a walk out by turning the stairs, but that would be $$$.

What do you guys do with awkward launch pads?

benb
05-20-2016, 12:57 PM
I have a garage and my bikes live there most of the year, but there are situations in the late winter where I'm moving back and forth between trainer and outdoors and I'm in the same situation.

The Bulkhead is in the back yard. We have a privacy fence, so I can take the bike out the bulkhead, lean it against the house where it can't be seen, go lock up the bulkhead, and then I go out the normal door and get the bike. (And then go through the gate)

So maybe a fence would be helpful if you're not comfortable just leaving the bike outside while you lock up and exit the house.

I do occasionally carry the bikes through the first floor and then go down the indoor stair to the basement but I don't consider it a great idea.. easy to nick a wall or get grease on something. Particularly at that time of year the bikes are not real clean.

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 01:00 PM
I thought bulkheads were only on boats and aircraft?

I vote bike valet:o

I leave through the garage, and carry a small garage keychain remote.

Anarchist
05-20-2016, 01:12 PM
What is a Bulkhead???

EDS
05-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Don't they make bulkhead/bilco doors with dual sided exterior/interior locks these days?

Fatty
05-20-2016, 01:15 PM
What exactly is a bulk head ? And new house, spend the money now and set it up to your liking, after all you will most likely be there a while.

benb
05-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Are you guys asking what a Bulkhead is living in areas where they don't build basements?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bulkhead+door&safe=active&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpxIa3oenMAhXEyoMKHUcIDLQQ_AUICCgC&biw=1412&bih=845

alexstar
05-20-2016, 01:20 PM
My bikes are in the unconnected garage. My procedure: Get dressed, leave house, go to garage and get bike, ride from garage. I keep a house key and a garage key in my seat bag. Would be a lot easier if the garage was connected but c'est la vie.

OtayBW
05-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Are you guys asking what a Bulkhead is living in areas where they don't build basements?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bulkhead+door&safe=active&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpxIa3oenMAhXEyoMKHUcIDLQQ_AUICCgC&biw=1412&bih=845
Not all basements are fully subterranean. Many have walk out doors, garage doors, etc.

Nooch
05-20-2016, 01:27 PM
I just started looking around after reading this, as I've got a similar situation (and no garage) and came upon this: http://clamdoor.com/

Locking, flip up bulkhead... I can dig it..

eippo1
05-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Don't they make bulkhead/bilco doors with dual sided exterior/interior locks these days?

Hmm, they do make this lockset:
http://www.bilco.com/bilcointernational/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?product=3BD+LOCK&country=94&tab=docs

wonder if I can retrofit my existing doors

benb
05-20-2016, 01:52 PM
My bikes are in the unconnected garage. My procedure: Get dressed, leave house, go to garage and get bike, ride from garage. I keep a house key and a garage key in my seat bag. Would be a lot easier if the garage was connected but c'est la vie.

Coded garage door opener, leave the keys in the garage* and save 100g or whatever. Free weight savings because you can claim the garage door opener is not a bike part.:banana:

* do not do this for commuting when your U-lock key is on the keychain with your other keys.

purpurite
05-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Had no idea what a bulkhead was.

Path of least resistance always works for me.

bjf
05-20-2016, 02:02 PM
I like the locking bulkhead idea. I also like the clamdoor, but I have to wonder how secure the fiberglass would be if someone wanted to break in while you're away on vacation. I vote for a steel locking bulkhead door.

bobswire
05-20-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm on the third floor, two flights of stairs with a front entrance that has the old fashion type heavy spring/hydraulic type door closer. I consider it part of my workout,in fact on days I'm unable to get a ride in I do repeats up and down the stairs and vary the pace. I wouldn't change it for the world. I have the top flat all to myself with a nice deck,two bedrooms (one of which I converted to my workshop) and use the back porch to hang my bikes.

http://i65.tinypic.com/vqtfde.jpg

milkbaby
05-20-2016, 02:31 PM
If I wanted to spend the money and thought it would be the most convenient way, I'd make the bulkhead doors lockable from inside and outside with something like that lock mech you posted. If not wanting to spend money was more important, then I'd just haul the bike up the stairs and live with it.

Dead Man
05-20-2016, 02:50 PM
Where's the leave it unlocked option?

I live in a small town where I have never been the victim of a crime of any kind... so maybe our situations are grossly different. How's crime in your area?

I'm not sure I've ever locked my doors

shovelhd
05-20-2016, 03:12 PM
I go up the basement stairs, but if I was staying at my house I'd add that lockset.

benb
05-20-2016, 03:12 PM
I actually have a locked door at the bottom of the bulkhead you would have to get through to get into the house, we could leave the bulkhead unlocked.

I think those locks that are accessible from both the inside and outside are rare because it'll be tough to protect the lock mechanism from the weather.

So you could just put a standard outside door at the bottom of the bulkhead stairs. That is lockable from inside/outside, so you walk out, lock the door, and then go up the bulkhead.

downtube
05-20-2016, 03:31 PM
I actually have a locked door at the bottom of the bulkhead you would have to get through to get into the house, we could leave the bulkhead unlocked.

I think those locks that are accessible from both the inside and outside are rare because it'll be tough to protect the lock mechanism from the weather.

So you could just put a standard outside door at the bottom of the bulkhead stairs. That is lockable from inside/outside, so you walk out, lock the door, and then go up the bulkhead.

Exactly what I was thinking

Anarchist
05-20-2016, 03:51 PM

Well, no.

I have a basement and a locking basement door at the bottom of the stairs.

Have never had a "bulkhead" leading to the basement door.

Don't you have a basement door as well? Doesn't it have a lock on it??

CaptStash
05-20-2016, 04:37 PM

That's not a basement. that's a friggin' cellar!

We have basement sin Seattle, but not many bulkhead exits. we are civilized. We have doors (that lock) and stairs.

OK so now tongue back out of cheek. fix the bulkhead doors so that they lock, or just do the U-bolt thing.

CaptStash....

Louis
05-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Simple: don't keep your daily driver in the basement.

flydhest
05-20-2016, 04:56 PM
What part of the country has bulkheads? Most places here in DC have basements yet I had no idea of the term. Have seen them, but not much round here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buldogge
05-20-2016, 04:57 PM
When I was a kid, in suburban Mass...We had a bulkhead AND a lockable "exterior" door at the bottom of the steps.

Of course, we thought...just like Dead Man...that we didn't need to lock our doors....

...I sure wish I still had my '78 Redlne MXII.

-Mark in St. Louis

(...now featuring walk-out basement door and perpendicular steps = PITA)

shovelhd
05-20-2016, 04:58 PM
They are quite popular in New England.

buldogge
05-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Dunno about other places, but it's definitely a New England thing...don't see them around here...lot of deep/awkward stairs into basements, here.

-Mark in St. Louis

What part of the country has bulkheads? Most places here in DC have basements yet I had no idea of the term. Have seen them, but not much round here.

Cicli
05-20-2016, 05:18 PM
I leave through the garage. Keypad entry works well. No keys.
Low to no crime area.

Ozz
05-20-2016, 06:01 PM
What is a Bulkhead???

Is that where they used to dump the coal for the furnace and deliver ice for the "ice box"? :rolleyes:

charliedid
05-20-2016, 07:39 PM
I'm totally confused by this thread. Can we get some pics or video of you "launching" from your house?

:-)

thirdgenbird
05-20-2016, 07:59 PM

I'm in Iowa where nearly every house has a basement (tornados) and they are not common here. It used to be a thing when people stored canned food in the cellar but those days are long gone. Many bullheads have been replaced by a more traditional door, filled in, or converted to a window.

It seems like a good way to exit with a bike, but I live in an area where houses are often unlocked and keys are left in ignitions.

eBAUMANN
05-21-2016, 11:19 AM
I've got a similar issue...ive just taken to leaving my often-ridden bikes in the dining room next to the front door...granted my entire house is in need of renovation and is in no way "presentable" at the moment...so this won't fly long term...

eippo1
05-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Well, no.

I have a basement and a locking basement door at the bottom of the stairs.

Have never had a "bulkhead" leading to the basement door.

Don't you have a basement door as well? Doesn't it have a lock on it??

We do have interior stairs but the bulkhead allows for separate access, which would be easy for the bike. In response to some, I could replace the door at the bottom of the bulkhead, but that would be a pain in the arse since it's an old poured concrete foundation. Probably the right thing to do to seal the basement of from the winter cold and summer humidity, however.

Dead Man
05-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Where do the stairs start? Can you just frame in and install a normal door under the wall, inside from the bulkhead?

Even if the stairs start inside the basement, if you buy the right kind of prehung door, you can cut those puppies down to fit any plate height

rustychisel
05-21-2016, 05:19 PM
I'm totally confused by this thread. Can we get some pics or video of you "launching" from your house?

:-)

+ 1

Can't believe the question needs asking, TBH. I envisage some kind of batman and batcave kind of setup. Perhaps you need a perimeter fence, dogs and armed guards.

Llewellyn
05-21-2016, 06:48 PM
We don't even have basements in this country.

flydhest
05-22-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm in Iowa where nearly every house has a basement (tornados) and they are not common here. It used to be a thing when people stored canned food in the cellar but those days are long gone. Many bullheads have been replaced by a more traditional door, filled in, or converted to a window.

It seems like a good way to exit with a bike, but I live in an area where houses are often unlocked and keys are left in ignitions.

Funny how you noted the basements for tornados but no bulkhead. I had a Wizard of Oz moment looking at it, that is how they get to the cellar when the cyclone comes at the beginning.

fogrider
05-22-2016, 09:37 PM
I guess the 3rd option is to install a better basement door or maybe even change it to a walk out by turning the stairs, but that would be $$$.

What do you guys do with awkward launch pads?

I don't understand why it would be expensive to install a lock. there are many kinds of locks that can be surface mounted on the inside. deadbolts are typically the pretty solid.