PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas for new stuff

johnniecakes
05-20-2016, 09:34 AM
So I have 2 ideas for new / better products and wonder why no one has created or marketed something similar.

1. A solar recharger on a cyclocomputer. On my Garmin 500 there is enough room to add a small solar cell similar to what is found on calculators. Bikes are usually ridden in daylight so a constant source of recharging energy is available. If these can be applied to $5 blister pack calculator the cost cannot be a factor.

2.Electricity can be generated by shaking the necessary components together to create electricity. I don’t understand it but it has been done. Since blinky lights seem to have caught on why not apply them to the back of cycling shoes and use the up and down motion to create the necessary power to drive the blinky?

OK back to work for now. It is kinda slow around here right now and my mind wandered off…..

Vinci
05-20-2016, 09:40 AM
So I have 2 ideas for new / better products and wonder why no one has created or marketed something similar.

1. A solar recharger on a cyclocomputer. On my Garmin 500 there is enough room to add a small solar cell similar to what is found on calculators. Bikes are usually ridden in daylight so a constant source of recharging energy is available. If these can be applied to $5 blister pack calculator the cost cannot be a factor.

2.Electricity can be generated by shaking the necessary components together to create electricity. I don’t understand it but it has been done. Since blinky lights seem to have caught on why not apply them to the back of cycling shoes and use the up and down motion to create the necessary power to drive the blinky?

OK back to work for now. It is kinda slow around here right now and my mind wandered off…..
1. Scale. Calculators use very little power. Those little PV cells aren't going to keep that Garmin running or probably put much of a dent in the runtime.

2. Electricity is generated in those shaking flashlights (first example to come to mind) by shaking a magnet through a coil. The magnet passing through the coil generates a charge. It's the same principle that a generator works on, though those use a rotor and crank to make the process more efficient to implement mechanically.

dvscycles
05-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Cat Eye made a solar assisted computer back in the 80's. Battery always went dead.

Black Dog
05-20-2016, 06:26 PM
Cat Eye made a solar assisted computer back in the 80's. Battery always went dead.

My friend had one. it was a P.O.S.

Plum Hill
05-20-2016, 07:06 PM

Not my experience. Nor my friend, who still has them and uses them.

bikinchris
05-20-2016, 07:13 PM

You can get a wind powered generator. It works day and night.

bikinchris
05-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Not my experience. Nor my friend, who still has them and uses them.

I have one of those in a box somewhere. Many did go dead around here. Searing sun too.

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Here's my idea, only in miniature. And I'd put it on the back or underside of the bike out of the way.

http://www.japantrendshop.com/img/thanko/bicycle-handlebar-portable-wind-powered-lamp-generator-turbine-1.jpg

jmoore
05-20-2016, 10:28 PM
Sounds like an opportunity for you to bring these products to market.

Some ask and people say why you can't. Others ask and say who is going to stop me.