PDA

View Full Version : Poll: should I shave?

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm psychotic. I have a commemmorative pink Pantani kit that I won't wear simply because I refuse to shave.

I don't race, I'm part gorilla, and I've got a few loose screws...( antisocial disorder complex, defiant disorder, codependency, maybe a touch of alcoholism, which I attribute to my Italian/German/Irish/Native American ancestry :-)

Part of me says keep neanderthalling my merry way, and part says I should join the herd and complete my fredness.

What say you?

dan682
05-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Yes, but be warned, once you try it you will never go back!

Vinci
05-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Do you feel that the general public will view your hairy legs as being the stand-out issue when you're wearing a pink spandex kit?

Steve in SLO
05-20-2016, 09:17 AM
If you're not sure, maybe you should just shave one leg. That way you can see which one you like better.

berserk87
05-20-2016, 09:19 AM
Shaving makes it easier to bandage road rash if you crash.

According to Specialized, having hairless legs makes one faster.

If you ever decide to go out in drag, hairless legs makes you look better in a set of pumps.

Outside of that, I got nothing on the benefits of shaving.

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 09:22 AM
If you're not sure, maybe you should just shave one leg. That way you can see which one you like better.
What about stripes or polka dots? Maybe I can save the polka dots for July :-)

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Do you feel that the general public will view your hairy legs as being the stand-out issue when you're wearing a pink spandex kit?

It just destves it, I think.

OtayBW
05-20-2016, 09:24 AM
I probably qualify in 2 of your 4 categories:

Psychotic? No (neurotic...Yes).
Antisocial complex? Yes.
Defiant complex? Yes.
Codependency? Noope.
Alchololic tendency? Uh uh.

I shave with a straight razor (sometimes the legs); however, I only recommend this for people meeting 3 or less of your categories!

OtayBW
05-20-2016, 09:26 AM
According to Specialized, having hairless legs makes one faster.Which one? :banana:

Black Dog
05-20-2016, 09:28 AM
You never specified what part(s) of your body you are thinking about shaving. :eek:

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 09:29 AM

i don't race, and try not to crash any more than I have to

According to Specialized, having hairless legs makes one faster.

when you say "according to specialized" I automatically put my fingers in my ears and say "lalala"

If you ever decide to go out in drag, hairless legs makes you look better in a set of pumps.

and I can use whatever bathroom I want!

Outside of that, I got nothing on the benefits of shaving.

and this is why I have not gone there yet. That and not knowing when to stop.:eek:

Vinci
05-20-2016, 09:36 AM
It just destves it, I think.
Go with whatever works for you, IMO.

A buddy of mine at work and I both commute in full kits with racks/lights/etc. I shave and he doesn't. I'm sure we both look equally ridiculous to anyone passing by. :)

If you like the kit, wear it. Marco isn't going to rise from the grave to berate you and he's the only one with a valid claim on how you wear his kit.

purpurite
05-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Shave your head, face or legs?

Head: yes, for the full Pantani look.

Face: yes, hipsters are stupid. :p

Legs: no, total high-maintenance waste of time if you aren't racing.

Dead Man
05-20-2016, 09:50 AM
Yea... For clarity... Are we talking legs? Head? If the Pantani look is what you seek; you'll need to shave head and legs and sculpt a proper goatee for thyself.

As to should you do it at all.... Dunno. If you've never, then do it! New life experience

oldpotatoe
05-20-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm psychotic. I have a commemmorative pink Pantani kit that I won't wear simply because I refuse to shave.

I don't race, I'm part gorilla, and I've got a few loose screws...( antisocial disorder complex, defiant disorder, codependency, maybe a touch of alcoholism, which I attribute to my Italian/German/Irish/Native American ancestry :-)

Part of me says keep neanderthalling my merry way, and part says I should join the herd and complete my fredness.

What say you?

Shave and get a keen tattoo..

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 10:04 AM
Shave and get a keen tattoo..

Any ideas?

https://leedlife.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/24.jpg

Mark McM
05-20-2016, 10:04 AM

Easier is not always better. In the case of skin wounds, studies show that shaved skin is more prone to infection.

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Yea... For clarity... Are we talking legs? Head? If the Pantani look is what you seek; you'll need to shave head and legs and sculpt a proper goatee for thyself.

As to should you do it at all.... Dunno. If you've never, then do it! New life experience

No head shaving, please, and I'm out on cocaine, too.

bobswire
05-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Any ideas?

I saw that tattoo when he first got it but it was originally drop bars. :rolleyes:

Big Dan
05-20-2016, 10:14 AM
Shave.

Dead Man
05-20-2016, 10:16 AM
Where's the poll in this poll?

bobswire
05-20-2016, 10:19 AM
Be yourself.

Dead Man
05-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Be yourself.

Sometimes being yourself means doing what everyone else is doing.

eippo1
05-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Funny thing is that the only time I really want to shave is in the colder weather when the lined tights tend to pull on my hair and make things uncomfortable.
Otherwise, I shave purely for the enjoyment of clogging the drain. There's nothing like a good, lukewarm shath (shower plus bath) swirling around your legs.

notsew
05-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Man, shaving my face is such a drag, I can't imagine involving my legs in the effort. ugh, makes me bummed just thinking about it.

chiasticon
05-20-2016, 11:24 AM
shave what?

face? no.

legs? sure.

head? I dunno...how bald are you? if you're not at all, that's just insulting. if very much, go for it. if in the middle...how bad is your comb-over?

makoti
05-20-2016, 11:26 AM
Yes. Just yes.

Tickdoc
05-20-2016, 11:34 AM
shave what?

face? no.

legs? sure.

head? I dunno...how bald are you? if you're not at all, that's just insulting. if very much, go for it. if in the middle...how bad is your comb-over?

Face? Bearded from oct to march most years.

Head? Full head of hair, although greying.

Legs? Remember robin Williams?

purpurite
05-20-2016, 11:48 AM

That answers the question in abudance. Dark, thick, excessive body hair... do you want to be shaving your legs 3 times a day? And what happens when you forget for a few days? Ugh. There is always that thought about where you stop on your legs, and how ridiculous you look with a skin vs fur line on your thighs. Just stop now while you're still ahead. Rock that pink kit like there's no tomorrow, dude.

Just the thought of the way it felt on jeans is enough to keep me from ever doing it again.

Frankwurst
05-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Take the money you'd save on razor blades and shave cream, spend it on good alcoholic beverages and purge the idea from your mind.:beer:

cachagua
05-20-2016, 12:26 PM
All these responses and nobody's yet suggested waxing, or laser?

Because if you're into it, being smooth is great, but stubble is a way, way worse than mere hair.

I'm seriously looking into something permanent for my face, just for that reason. Now after decades of practice I can shave myself microscopically smooth, but it only lasts a few hours... and then I'm back where I started.

Dead Man
05-20-2016, 12:59 PM
All these responses and nobody's yet suggested waxing, or laser?

Because if you're into it, being smooth is great, but stubble is a way, way worse than mere hair.

I'm seriously looking into something permanent for my face, just for that reason. Now after decades of practice I can shave myself microscopically smooth, but it only lasts a few hours... and then I'm back where I started.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=178508

EDS
05-20-2016, 01:17 PM
This is an almost identical thread to the riding without a bike computer thread - e.g., it provides a forum for everyone to express their own habits.

In the end, it all boils down to personal preference. The good news is that it is a cheap thing to experiment with and it is only temporary, so you have little to lose if you want to give it a try.

Red Tornado
05-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Where's the poll in this poll?

+1
Oh, and definitly shave.

soulspinner
05-20-2016, 01:24 PM

Ya, with bandana or without?

joosttx
05-20-2016, 01:40 PM

What say you?

Ill buy that pantani jersey off you if its a large.

ptourkin
05-20-2016, 01:47 PM
if you're not sure, maybe you should just shave one leg. That way you can see which one you like better.

+1

soulspinner
05-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Take the money you'd save on razor blades and shave cream, spend it on good alcoholic beverages and purge the idea from your mind.:beer:

:)

bicycletricycle
05-20-2016, 01:54 PM
don't shave, wear what you want.

oldpotatoe
05-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Any ideas?

'Keen"..not 'keen' above. :eek:

AJM100
05-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Ape hangers - yikes . . .

Shave - but you have to post before and after shots . . .

makoti
05-20-2016, 02:50 PM

"Yes, yes, we must think for ourselves!"
- "Life of Brian"

makoti
05-20-2016, 02:52 PM

Then you wax.

berserk87
05-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Which one? :banana:

Which Specialized, or which leg?

Louis
05-20-2016, 03:47 PM
I think we need a picture of the OP in the Pantani kit in all his hairy glory before we can help him decide if he should shave or not.

charliedid
05-20-2016, 07:44 PM
I think we need a picture of the OP in the Pantani kit in all his hairy glory before we can help him decide if he should shave or not.

Agreed, standing by.

Black Dog
05-20-2016, 10:22 PM

Large crowd - "We are all individuals"

Lone voice - "I'm not!"

Another Gem from The Life of Brian

jmoore
05-20-2016, 10:23 PM
The only correct answer is what does your wife/girlfriend think.

My wife used to hate me shaving my legs. Now she tells me to go shave if it's been more than a week.

Bordering on TMI, but two set of freshly shaved legs makes for good sexy time.

Seramount
05-21-2016, 08:33 AM
shave.

if you don't like the look or the maintenance, stop.

the hair will grow back.

not exactly a huge issue.