PDA

View Full Version : two cool things i saw on Sunday

etu
05-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Riding on La Canada Road by Woodside, CA this Sunday with my 7 year old son and his friend and parents.
First was a helmetless rider with a moustache approaching from the other side with an unmistakable class. As he got closer I recognized it was none other than Tom Ritchey! Very neat to see one of our local legends.
Second was to see my son on his Islabike just killing it on the uphills. I can't say enough about how great these bikes - light, agile and just fun. It was easy to see how much fun he was having. He was even getting low and aero on the downhills to keep up with his dad.
On the other hand, his friend was on a typical heavy mtn style kids bike with shocks. He was lumbering, weaving and eventually having a meltdown at the end. The contrast was just striking. I know kids are a lot easier to please on many levels, but I am sold on getting him another well designed kid-specific bike when he outgrows his current rig.

cachagua
05-19-2016, 12:53 AM
I took a quick look at Islabike's site -- what a great idea, making bikes for kids that AREN'T kid's bikes! So many good reasons to do this, it's hard to know where to start.

And randomly bumping into Tom Ritchey makes it a fantastic day anyhow.

oldpotatoe
05-19-2016, 06:20 AM
Riding on La Canada Road by Woodside, CA this Sunday with my 7 year old son and his friend and parents.
First was a helmetless rider with a moustache approaching from the other side with an unmistakable class. As he got closer I recognized it was none other than Tom Ritchey! Very neat to see one of our local legends.
Second was to see my son on his Islabike just killing it on the uphills. I can't say enough about how great these bikes - light, agile and just fun. It was easy to see how much fun he was having. He was even getting low and aero on the downhills to keep up with his dad.
On the other hand, his friend was on a typical heavy mtn style kids bike with shocks. He was lumbering, weaving and eventually having a meltdown at the end. The contrast was just striking. I know kids are a lot easier to please on many levels, but I am sold on getting him another well designed kid-specific bike when he outgrows his current rig.

Horrors!!! Doesn't he know he's an example to all cycling public!!! I am never going to buy anything 'Richey' ever again, ever, never, nyet, nein, no...:D

Sorry...got carried away.

William
05-19-2016, 06:38 AM
Horrors!!! Doesn't he know he's an example to all cycling public!!! I am never going to buy anything 'Richey' ever again, ever, never, nyet, nein, no...:D

Sorry...got carried away.

Dude, that mustache can take a lot of impact!!

:D:D
William