PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to do with a De Rosa Primato

geordanh
05-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a mid nineties Primato frame (no flat crown fork unfortunately) that needs new paint and new decals. It's in my least favourite scheme and the paint is pretty worse for wear generally, however the price is low enough to justify spending money on a repaint.

The rational side of me says that I should buy the original decals and get it repainted in all red or another original paint scheme to preserve some of the value in the bike. However, I happen to love some of the neo primato paint schemes I've seen online, and so the vain side of me wants to go that route just to have something sweet looking. I'm sure that this would hurt resale value down the line if I ever decided to sell however.

What would you guys do? Is repainting a Primato as a Neo Primato, or some variation, just dumb?

beeatnik
05-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Primato as the repaint wont be adding (or preserving, rather) any value.

bicycletricycle
05-18-2016, 12:55 PM
I would re paint it the way you would like it the most, I don't think the value difference will realistically be big enough to justify less happiness.

Anarchist
05-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Paint it as you wish. Put the DeRosa decals on it an ride the dickens out of it.

Fivethumbs
05-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Maybe you should get it and ride it first. If its a keeper then paint it however you wish. Once it's repainted in any scheme, the collector value is lost. But what if you bought it and paid to have it painted only to not like it? You might not get back what you invested.

geordanh
05-18-2016, 03:31 PM
This is all great advice guys, thanks. If I go for it I'll post a pic when I'm done. I'm thinking I'll put a painted to match 1 inch Columbus minimal fork on it (if I can find rake and length numbers for the original) as it seems very unlikely I could find a nice flat crown fork for a reasonable price.

OtayBW
05-18-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm of 2 minds: i) paint it however you like it, and ii) this thing merits preservation/restoration, or at least keeping it's inherent integrity intact. If you had the flat crown fork, I would definitely lean toward keeping it a Primato.

geordanh
05-18-2016, 03:42 PM
I'm of 2 minds: i) paint it however you like it, and ii) this thing merits preservation/restoration, or at least keeping it's inherent integrity intact. If you had the flat crown fork, I would definitely lean toward keeping it a Primato.

Yeah if I had that fork it would be a no brainer to keep it in an original scheme I think. Price and needing to source a fork has me considering more creative options.

oldpotatoe
05-19-2016, 06:27 AM
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a mid nineties Primato frame (no flat crown fork unfortunately) that needs new paint and new decals. It's in my least favourite scheme and the paint is pretty worse for wear generally, however the price is low enough to justify spending money on a repaint.

The rational side of me says that I should buy the original decals and get it repainted in all red or another original paint scheme to preserve some of the value in the bike. However, I happen to love some of the neo primato paint schemes I've seen online, and so the vain side of me wants to go that route just to have something sweet looking. I'm sure that this would hurt resale value down the line if I ever decided to sell however.

What would you guys do? Is repainting a Primato as a Neo Primato, or some variation, just dumb?

Get period decals, respray 'Ferrari Red'..go ride. Don't forget the rose behind the seat tube. Find a proper fork too.

RonW87
05-19-2016, 02:14 PM
I redid mine (Professional, not Primato):