PDA

View Full Version : Trek Domane SLR

p nut
05-18-2016, 09:56 AM
This bike wasn't even on my radar when I was just casually browsing for a lighter duty dirt/gravel/stoner bike. A random blog mentioned this bike as a good candidate for a gravel bike which piqued my interest. Out of all other production bikes I looked at with at least 32mm tire clearance, this had the best geometry for my size, aside from Moots (Routt). I like a high stack and shorter reach. In 56cm (55.4cm ETT), it has a 175mm HT, 591mm stack and 377mm reach. Most other bikes (Spec, Gunnar, Niner, Etc) were more long and low, comparatively.
Specs say 32mm tire clearance, which could mean I may be able to stuff a 35mm in there? Haven't seen the bike personally, so don't know.

Just curious if anyone's has any feedback on these bikes. I'm assuming one of the Trek dealers has a demo I can take out. Dirt roads are now almost dried out so its a good time to test it out. By the way, only the disc version has clearance for 32's. Rim brakes (direct mount) only have clearance for 28mm.

benb
05-18-2016, 10:56 AM
I bought a regular Domane (5-series non-disc) a couple months ago. I love it. (I have a 56)

I don't know about the 6-series and SLR but the 5 and below have relatively beefy metal dropouts under the carbon and paint. I think any Domane with the hidden fender mounts has these. I only mention this cause I kind of feel like carbon dropouts are more delicate?

Overall though I don't really see this bike as a gravel bike. It's stable, handles great, and is fast, but it still kind of feels like a delicate carbon bike that I don't want to pound into the ground on gravel. Most of the gravel here is pretty rough, maybe some places it's better. I run 38s on my all city space horse and often feel like they still don't have enough grip on the gravel here.

Even the 2013-2016 Domane's have lots of tire clearance but I don't know about 32s. 30s definitely fit even without discs, I've mostly used 28s and they look tiny on the Domane. If Trek is saying 32 for the SLR they must have increased clearance for the disc version and/or reduced it on the rim brake version.

So yah, maybe fine if you can view it as a disposable race bike for gravel otherwise my inclination is something Ti or Steel.

The ISO speed tricks definitely work, although obviously I have no idea how the front end works on the SLR. I have found my bike to be creaky and stuff though, maybe it's the coupler. A disc bike with electric shifting might quiet some of this stuff. It's not the BB on my bike, the BB is fine.

Michael Maddox
05-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Despite my prior avoidance of the brand, I have purchased my first Trek, and it's a Project One Domane SLR with rim brakes.

Tire clearance may be a BIT more than just 28s, but I'm only running 28s as I have another gravel-specific bike or two (thanks again, Bill, for the Routt 45!).
The bike does have fender mounts, but again, it doesn't fit the bill for a gravel-bike, in my book; it's more of a rough-road and all-around race bike. I wouldn't be afraid to run it on gravel, but considering the sandy crap we have around here, I like MUCH wider tires and disc brakes. I'd stick to Ti for a serious gravel bike, in all honesty. You'll get all the benefits without any compromise.

I haven't yet played with the "vertical-compliance" adjustments, but the steer-tube suspension is quite noticeable.

I'll be posting more photos and a full review on my blog, soon.

beeatnik
05-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Michael Maddox, I like your satanic style.

Seeing that bika makes me want to go to the Dark Side and get down with the maleficent twinz, Trek and Srams. Gonna check my piggy bank for 1,400,000 pennies.

benb
05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Wow Michael you must be one of the first owners of that bike, I don't think my LBS has even gotten a single one yet.

I did just figure out one more source of noise on mine today on my lunch ride, it does keep getting quieter little by little. My bike was set up with the chain catcher adjusted super close to the chain ring.. it was actually rubbing the chain ever so slightly and driving me nuts. It sounded like the front derailleur cage was rubbing but that was adjusted with tons of clearance, enough the chain dropped today and that was what made me finally notice it was the chain catcher.

I have 26s on my bike right now I'll have to take a picture if/when I put the 28s back on. The 28s I have are Conti 4 seasons, there is lots of clearance on my bike with those, and I have the rim brake version, although I do not have wide rims.

Catdr
05-18-2016, 02:34 PM
The 28s I have are Conti 4 seasons,
My experience is that these usually run small. Try a GP4000 or Schwalbe One and see if it fits.

p nut
05-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Looking forward to the review.

bfd
05-18-2016, 05:37 PM
My buddy just bought a Terk Domane with etap (SLR?) last week. Whoa! That bike is super clean and light! If I had the $$$$ and/or got the discount he got, I would be all over one. Arguably one of the best production bikes on the market!

Btw, it comes with 700x28 tires and he said the ride was really comfortable.
It also looked like there was room for 30mm and maybe 32mm wide tires!
Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck.