PDA

View Full Version : Bikes From The Greatest Cyclist Ever...

Gsinill
05-18-2016, 09:41 AM
...now available at Performance Bicycle.

Hmm, just got this in an email.

http://s32.postimg.org/8kctw632d/EMat_PB.png

oldpotatoe
05-18-2016, 10:00 AM
...now available at Performance Bicycle.

Hmm, just got this in an email.

http://s32.postimg.org/8kctw632d/EMat_PB.png

Wow but not really from Eddy, not even from his company any longer. His name certainly.

Blown Reek
05-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Wasn't Mercxk at Nashbar on closeout a few years ago, and then they "found their way" since then? Either way, it's not like they have they flagship 525. Yet.

PaulE
05-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Wow but not really from Eddy, not even from his company any longer. His name certainly.

Maybe Axel didn't want to take it over and a buyout made more sense. At his age I think it made sense for Eddy to sell. The new owners are figuring out how to get the best return on their investment and dipping their toe into Performance may be their alternative to internet direct to consumer models that the big box bike brands are trying?

Here in the NYC metro area, Performance Bike is now a sponsor on NPR radio. Not sure if they are doing that here in anticipation of opening stores in the area, The closest physical stores are in Philadelphia and Allentown, PA.

Lewis Moon
05-18-2016, 10:54 AM
People dis Performance, but here in the PHX AZ area, it's probably the best stocked shop around, with REALLY nice sales staff and great prices. I used to be a small, independent shop snob, but after too many run ins with brain dead staff who couldn't be bothered to acknowledge my existence (and who thought Campagnolo was some sort of toxic butt fungus), I've done a 180.
Good for them for carrying Merckx. Performance caters to the full spectrum of cyclists. Having a few Eddys in the store will give the brand a lot of exposure.

Saint Vitus
05-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Horner worked at a local one here and one of the staff is a former racer that rode the TdF (first name Bernard, last name not Hinault lol). It helps that a friend is manger, but the staff is generally friendly and knowledgeable. As far as shopping at local BnM stores, I bounce around depending on needs and my current geographic coordinates.

Gsinill
05-18-2016, 11:44 AM
People dis Performance...

Not dissing them at all, I go there regularly.
Same here, IMHO their staff's knowledge, skill and attitude is no different from what I experience at most of the smaller LBS in my area.

Just found it interesting that whoever owns the EM brand now, wants to see it there.
Probably a really good move by Performance as others stated.

Polyglot
05-18-2016, 11:48 AM
Horner worked at a local one here and one of the staff is a former racer that rode the TdF (first name Bernard, last name not Hinault lol). It helps that a friend is manger, but the staff is generally friendly and knowledgeable. As far as shopping at local BnM stores, I bounce around depending on needs and my current geographic coordinates.

Bernard Croyet perhaps? If so, he is the real deal. He used to have a shop in Bourg en Bresse in France that I visited a few times back in the 80's. I later heard that he had moved to California. Back in the day he developed a number of cool items such as some of the very first cycling specific sunglasses and the some of the first synthetic toe clips. He had some absolutely fantastic stories...

guido
05-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Campagnolo is some sort of toxic butt fungus

:fight:

ultraman6970
05-18-2016, 12:50 PM
I think it is a mere thing of time to see those prices goes down.

This is not the 1st time they bring high end. After all they arent an online store and as happened before doubt we will see any of those EM in a store. You have to account too that their base clientele probably dont know the big C neither know who EM is.

RFC
05-18-2016, 01:20 PM
People dis Performance, but here in the PHX AZ area, it's probably the best stocked shop around, with REALLY nice sales staff and great prices. I used to be a small, independent shop snob, but after too many run ins with brain dead staff who couldn't be bothered to acknowledge my existence (and who thought Campagnolo was some sort of toxic butt fungus), I've done a 180.
Good for them for carrying Merckx. Performance caters to the full spectrum of cyclists. Having a few Eddys in the store will give the brand a lot of exposure.

Couldn't agree more. I use the Scottsdale store. Rusty, the manager, walks up to me and greets me by name. The mechanics are actually nice and the staff love to chat bikes and rides, both road and off road.

bikingshearer
05-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Campagnolo is some sort of toxic butt fungus

:fight:

Well, it is true that, once you catch the Campy bug, you never can get rid of it. But calling it "toxic" may be pushing it juuuuuust a bit. :D

Cicli
05-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Hopefully that MXL I just bought will still be cool. Even with Campy.:banana:

KJMUNC
05-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Hopefully that MXL I just bought will still be cool. Even with Campy.:banana:

There's a huge diff between pre/post buyout Merckx.....the pre-buyout, classic steel bikes, Team SC, Ti, etc., will always have cache. Even the late Eddy-owned years weren't great....the AXM-line of bikes never sold well, probably because you could buy a car for cheaper than some of their frames.

54ny77
05-18-2016, 02:22 PM
didn't serotta sell a rebranded frame thru them some years back?