PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on travel to Italy w Bikes

TomNY
05-18-2016, 09:35 AM
I will going to Italy [first time] in June for 10 days, starting Rome for 3 nights, then Florence - Tuscany 3-4 days, Venice 1-2 days, back to Rome then EWR.

I'm looking at bike rentals which are 40 Euro per day, and possibly limit where we [2] might ride. I have a thought to buy Bike Bags, bring our bikes w us. I have done that to Colorado, Cali, Utah. But Italy may have some obstacles I cannot foresee such as transport to hotel, eventual car rental in Florence, area etc.

We are searching AirBNB, found some great looking places to stay.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome.
BR

RowanB
05-18-2016, 10:09 AM
I spent 10 days on the Amalfi Coast in April and had no trouble renting decent bikes for a couple of days riding. As you say, it was around 40 Euro a day and I felt this was worth it to avoid the hassle of trying to transport my own bike. We didn't hire a car, so moving bikes by taxi, train and bus would have been annoying. If it had been an exclusively biking holiday I would have considered taking my own bike. One of the hire businesses even delivered and collected the bike from our B&B.

RonW87
05-18-2016, 10:57 AM
A few thoughts:

1. Cars are smaller there. If you rent a care that's big enough to hold your bike, it might be quite expensive.

2. While the trains are great, there seems to be a complete lack of escalators or elevators in the train stations. You end up schlepping your luggage up and down stairs.

3. Factor in the extra expense of your bike as checked luggage.

4. Factor in the risk of the airline losing or damaging your luggage/bike.

5. A coupled bike or Ritchey Breakaway might solve some of the above issues.

FWIW, I've been going to Italy and France to ride for a week or two at a time for a few years now. I rent a bike unless I will be based in one place for the whole holiday.

Ron

bocarider
05-18-2016, 11:25 AM
My wife and I travel a lot with our bikes. You may want to consider shipping your bike over (or bringing it on the plane with you, which we do all the time).

I just saw this service advertised on one of the travel mags websites that I follow on FB:

https://www.sendmybag.com/

I have not used it, but you may want to check it out. Riding your own bike on vacation is just the best.

christian
05-18-2016, 11:54 AM
If I were going for a cycling vacation, I would book the same hotel in Rome on the first night and last night, and negotiate with them to store my bike boxes/bags.

If I were going for a vacation to Italy where I would cycle a few days, I'd rent bikes.

numbskull
05-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Rome would seem to me to be a poor place to access good cycling in the countryside. You could do it but would need to negotiate significant sprawl, traffic, and complex road systems to reach it. A better choice would be to take a 1 day guided bike tour of the city itself (which is available).

Florence is smaller but still requires negotiating @10km of busy riding on each end to get out of the city and into some nice surrounding areas. I took a bike to Florence and laid out a number of good looking routes but didn't feel it worth the trouble once I got there. This shop's offerings might be worth looking into if you felt differently http://www.florencebybike.it/en/ . Keep in mind that both Rome and Florence are wonderful cities to explore on foot and there is so much to do that several days without a bike can be a blessing.

You will certainly want a bike while in Tuscany. Finding a shop to rent you two decent road bikes might not be as simple as you'd think, however, depending on where in Tuscany you end up staying. You'd also be tied to the shop's operating hours.....which in small town Italy are a bit spotty. Keep in mind that the best riding is going to be several hours in the early morning each day. On the most scenic roads you will be looking at about 1000 ft of elevation gain for every 10 miles covered so longer rides can take a toll.

I've taken my bike to Italy twice now in the last year. I didn't ride while in major cities. I used a PikaPak bike bag. It has worked well. Costs about 100-150 dollars/euros each way. The bike in the bag will fit in the rear of a Fiat 500 with the seats down. If I was taking two bikes I'd bring a rack, however.

TomNY
05-18-2016, 03:36 PM
These are all good suggestions. I heard Rome is a walking city so OK, Florence also busy, but possible to rent for tours. Perhaps the fall back.

I looked into renting in Florence, however I have an apartment rent a few days later in Volterra. It will be two bikes rented or carried, so comment on rack is good one. Thanks.

AngryScientist
05-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Unless this is a dedicated cycling trip and you're traveling exclusively with other cyclists, rent a bike. Bringing your own adds complexity, stress and schlepping logistics. When traveling, especially internationally- lighter and faster always wins out for me.

donevwil
05-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Ron's list is spot on in my experience getting both my and my wife's full-size, non-S&S bikes to the start of a Cinghiale tour. My input below.

1. Cars are smaller there. If you rent a care that's big enough to hold your bike, it might be quite expensive.

Three times (twice in Italy, once in Switzerland) we had to order a special taxi (minivan) which necessitated a significant wait at the train stations.

2. While the trains are great, there seems to be a complete lack of escalators or elevators in the train stations. You end up schlepping your luggage up and down stairs.

We traveled by train and I loaded both bike cases and our heavy luggage at both ends of the trip. I ended up with a double hernia, no joke. In addition we upgraded to 1st class to ensure room for the bike cases and am happy we did. We would have had to exit one leg (or leave our bikes behind) if we'd ticketed 2nd class due to standing room only rush hour. 1st class was virtually. Be aware that in the larger cities there are people who hang out on the platforms and grab luggage, carry it on the train and then demand money. I initially said no, only to realize it was a small price to avoid him creating a scene.

3. Factor in the extra expense of your bike as checked luggage.

Hell yes !

4. Factor in the risk of the airline losing or damaging your luggage/bike.

Two of the 20 people on our tour had bikes lost or delayed by the airline. One sat out, not riding the first two days (can you imagine?) and the second rented a bike. Good thing he did because when his bike arrived it was damaged too severely to ride or repair on site.

5. A coupled bike or Ritchey Breakaway might solve some of the above issues.

After returning home I invested in coupled bikes for both of us. No travel cost savings any more according to most, but the lifting, carrying, hoisting makes it worth it to me.

FWIW, I've been going to Italy and France to ride for a week or two at a time for a few years now. I rent a bike unless I will be based in one place for the whole holiday.

I agree one should rent unless they have plenty of experience traveling with a bike or require custom geo as both my wife and I do. Plus, most rentals I saw in Italy were better than any bike I own.

EDIT: In addition, at the time (2013) Andy Hampsten recommended we not ship bikes. Apparently many are held at customs to verify that the recipient is not actually a resident trying to skirt Customs. That can lead to a few days of delays and maintaining contact with the Customs officials while following the Tour has proven difficult in the past.

Mr. Pink
05-18-2016, 11:03 PM
It would be nice if the people saying that it's easier to rent a bike would please tell us where to rent these bikes, and what the product was like. I've been doing a lot of research on this matter, and have found it difficult to find decent rentals in many places. A friend once stayed in Florence for his wife's 50th, and found a few bikes there, but wouldn't even think of attempting to ride out and back to that city - they took the train to a few starting points, which worked out OK. Riding in either Rome and Florence, especially Rome, would be suicidal.
But, trying to find a rental out in the country would be extremely difficult. Hell, finding a shop in a lot of places would be a chore.
This is why the package your is so popular, especially Trek Travel. The bike would be your last worry. Of course, forget about contributing to your retirement fund that year in exchange for convenience. The bike hotel is the most affordable option, and they have very nice bikes on site for clients. I doubt that they rent to others.

Good luck with this trip. Volterra is some of the most amazing countryside I saw in Italy. Not flat, though, by a long shot. Try to get back to us if you find some good rentals.

Btw, bikes are not allowed in Venice.

Duende
05-19-2016, 02:50 AM
Get a bike bag and take your bike. You can ride in Rome, and there's ancient roads to take most directions outside of the city.

Also, carrying bikes on the trains is a no brainier. Seriously, I've done it.

christian
05-19-2016, 06:10 AM
It would be nice if the people saying that it's easier to rent a bike would please tell us where to rent these bikes, and what the product was like.Here, let me Google that for you...

Gippo bike is a bike shop in Colle di Val d'Elsa that sells Specialized, Cannondale, and Colnago and (based on the picture of their rental bike) rents Colnagos with Ultegra. http://www.gippobike.com/eng/richiesta_noleggio.asp Colle di Val d'Elsa is maybe 30 minutes from Volterra.

Landhill appears to be a bike rental place in Montaione. Their "top" road bike rental is a Specialized Venge and their "lower" road bike rental appears to be a Roubaix.
http://www.landhill.it/prices/ Montaione is probably 45 minutes drive from Volterra.

That took me about 30 seconds. First page of hits on "bicycle hire Volterra"

Mr. Pink
05-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Hey, thanks, really. I never did a specific search like that for Volterra. That's pretty awesome. Italy, here I come!

But, then again, ahem, it is Italy. You know, eh, Mr. Pink, we are so sorry, that bike you reserved is not here at the moment. Maybe tomorrow. Here, have a glass of wine. Relax.

jh_on_the_cape
05-19-2016, 09:54 AM
In Rome Top Bike Rental used to be below my inlaws and I have rented with them and they have city bikes and some proper road bikes. One year on my birthday I did a guided mtb/urban day and it was super fun. The guide was great (forgot his name) and showed me some fun stair gaps and such. I spend a month or more a year in Rome, my wife's home town. I think a bike tour is a great way to see the city if you are into urban riding.

http://www.topbikerental.com/nuovosito/eng/index.php

As others have said, I do not bring my bike unless it's a cycling vacation. Huge hassle. I might consider a folding bike which has some compromises.
Just bring helmet/shoes/pedals and clothes.

Please share pics of your trip!

christian
05-19-2016, 10:29 AM
But, then again, ahem, it is Italy. You know, eh, Mr. Pink, we are so sorry, that bike you reserved is not here at the moment. Maybe tomorrow. Here, have a glass of wine. Relax.Fair play, but these places typically cater to German and Dutch tourists, so they tend to have their acts in order.

TomNY
05-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Took in a bunch of thoughtful comments and developed a sketch. I will take a bike tour in Rome. Thanks for that link and suggestions.

Florence is a work in progress, but I will rent bikes there. Vespas in Volterra, and a Colnago too. Venice doesn't allow bikes on the water taxis.

Mr. Pink
05-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Definitely consider using the train to get out of Florence for some great riding. The train south to Siena has a few stops that would be nice starting points, but, I would go all the way to the Siena train station (about an hour), and do a loop out of there. Gorgeous country, and, if you're feeling spunky, do the climb up to Siena itself as part of a loop. Absolutely worth it. Beautiful little city. The trains are very well equipped for bikes (the local trains). I peeked into one on the platform in Florence, and half a car was basically a moving bike rack. Very cool.

That's what's so cool about Tuscany. Lots of hills, but, at the top of some of those climbs is a fifteenth century city to explore. But, trust me, the climbs are not for the weak. Not the mountains, but, you will accumulate vertical there.

martl
05-19-2016, 05:44 PM
That's what's so cool about Tuscany. Lots of hills, but, at the top of some of those climbs is a fifteenth century city to explore. But, trust me, the climbs are not for the weak. Not the mountains, but, you will accumulate vertical there.
yep, the # of vertical meters only tell half the story.

rrudoff
05-19-2016, 05:45 PM
It's actually pretty easy to ride out of Firenze centro, going south into Chianti. You can also go up to Fiesole and into the Mugello without much stress other than a goodly climb if you want to go North.. The trick is to take the smaller roads, often only a lane or so wide, rather than Via Senese when going south, or coming back into town, the traffic is much less.

You can also sometimes get a decent bike to rent at Chianti Bikes in Tavarnuzze, That is the first little town on Via Cassia after the Impruneta Autostrada roundabout-I will admit riding through that takes a bit of getting use to going south. It would not be much of a taxi ride to Tavernuzze and I am pretty sure the ATF bus also goes there. But as others have mentioned, the hours are limited and it helps to have some Italian to make sure things are set.

I will also vouch for the Pika bags, what is great is that once the bike is up they can squish out of the way and loaded or empty they will go in a much smaller car than a hard case. That being said, I just bough a used bike for 600 euro a few years ago and keep it there rather than bring a bike back and forth.

numbskull
05-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Enough about bikes. More important is where you eat.

If you have not been to Italy you are in for a treat. It is important, however, to understand that restaurants work differently over there. Eating is an evening's entertainment. Plan to spend 2-3 hours for a meal. Get a bottle of wine and order multiple courses. Try things and take your time, you'll be glad you did. Split an appetizer, then a pasta course, then each get a secondo (with which you will likely want to order some side dishes to share since the main course usually comes alone on the plate). Don't cheat yourself on dessert. It sounds like a lot of food, and it is, but they will pace how fast you get it and you will have time to digest, laugh, and enjoy each other as you eat. Obviously you won't eat like this every night but when you do head for a special restaurant make the most of it.

In Rome we had a very nice meal at a small place on a side street near Piazza Navone and the Pantheon called Il Duello and if you are in that area you might want to try it.

Mr. Pink
05-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Vivoli in Florence for gelato. Trust me. Near the Uffuzi, which also cannot be missed.

martl
05-19-2016, 07:13 PM
There also are restaurants, mostly smaller ones, which only have one dish of the day and no menu. They won't necessarily tell you what it is. You'll get antipasti, primo and secondo, a dessert, a cafe and, if you want, a grappa (i've had patrons who would just dump the full bottle on the table), for a typically modest lump sum.
A great way of exploring dishes you may never have ordered yourself, and almost always a pleasant surprise! Local trademark dish is the Bistecca alla Fiorentina, a grilled half of a cow's worth of T-bone (1kg+) delivered medium-rare with potatoes.

Also take time to stop at any small village bar for a cafe (Espresso) on your rides, or a glass of local wine. Or end your ride at one of those. All the locals do that, for a reason. Dead cheap, too, still today you'll pay around 1€ for a cup. Expect prices to be slightly higher (as in: 5x that) close to touristic hotspots like the Uffici (make that 10x in Venice at San Marco).
For riding, the city of Gaiole, famous for the l'Eroica, has a permanent route on le strade bianche.

Talking about tourisitc attractions, i recommend -apart from the obvious stuff everyone goes to anyway- the San Miniato church with its spectacular view of the city, and Filippino Lippis simply gorgeous paintings in the Brancacci.
If you have still time to kill after marvelling at Florence, Pisa's church and Siena, my favourite in that area is Lucca, an incredibly charming small town with a midieval flair unparalleled. You want to touch San Giminiano as well (can nicely be done on a ride), the Manhattan of the medieval. It's quite close to Volterra. If there's still time left, there is the Maremma area with its buffalo herds, and the marble mines of Carrara.

btw, i've seen car size discussed before. While most major rental companies have base models which really are tiny, the italians always had a knack of making cars seemingly bigger inside than outside. It may seem strange if you're accustomed to huge Dodge RAMs with bikes hanging over the rear bumper, but ts amazing what a Fiat Doblo can pack. Certainly big enough for two, two bikes and luggage.

jh_on_the_cape
05-20-2016, 05:24 AM
For restaurants get the slow food guide. It has a snail on the cover.
If someone outside the restaurant invites you in it's a tourist trap.
If you are staying in Rome in Rione Monti or Esquilino I can give some specific places. Gelateria Fassi. Pasticeria regoli. Both near Piazza Vittorio
http://www.amazon.com/Osterie-Locande-dItalia-Traditional-Places/dp/8884991145#

cnighbor1
05-20-2016, 12:36 PM
when on an organized trip to Italy France organizer simply included his 6 bike rack when shipping the bikes to Europe
Rhodes makes a folding bike rack that lays flat So simply take one with you if renting a car to transport two bikes

Mr. Pink
05-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Yes. I have decided that, when I go back, I will bring a small, foldable rear rack that holds two bikes, even if I don't bring my own and rent a bike. I can easily live with a Fiat 500 with that addition. Besides, if you are visiting old hill towns, the smaller the car, the better. I have been in some very tight situations in places like Montepulciano and Lucca, driving a very small car. I have no clue how a larger German car, which rich Italians seem to love, get around such places.

chunkylover53
05-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Del fagioli in Florence for steak. Call ahead. Also great papa pomodoro. In San Lorenzo market there is a renovated restaurant section - lots of good choices at a good price. Also check out Ara - great, cheap Sicilian eats (both in San lorenzo and just north - Google it). Forget about Rome for quick, nice rides. Always talk to local shops for rides ...

Vera J. Hogue
05-21-2016, 04:08 AM
You have a some plans before going to travel. This plans are -
Advance planning...

• When's the best time to go to Italy?

• Visa and entry requirements

• Getting to Italy

• What travel guides can I take?

Just before you go...

• What currency and how much should I take?

• What can I read to get in the mood?

While you're there...

• Embassies and consulates

• Transport

• Health and safety

19wisconsin64
05-21-2016, 06:50 AM
Unless this is a dedicated cycling trip and you're traveling exclusively with other cyclists, rent a bike. Bringing your own adds complexity, stress and schlepping logistics. When traveling, especially internationally- lighter and faster always wins out for me.

My wife and i have been to Italy a few times. We rented bikes and were amazed at the high-quality bikes - BH with electronic shifting.

One tip that helped a lot-make sure to have accurate measurements so your new rental will fit well. We were asked to measure center of seatpost to the center of the front of the stem, and lots of other measurements too. This made for an easy change over to the new bikes. That, and using our own saddles and pedals.

Enjoy your travels!

martl
05-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Yes. I have decided that, when I go back, I will bring a small, foldable rear rack that holds two bikes, even if I don't bring my own and rent a bike. I can easily live with a Fiat 500 with that addition. Besides, if you are visiting old hill towns, the smaller the car, the better. I have been in some very tight situations in places like Montepulciano and Lucca, driving a very small car. I have no clue how a larger German car, which rich Italians seem to love, get around such places.

They send their wives there in Cinquecentos. What can actually be very confusing is parking in cities. They got a colorcoding system in place - yellow boxes, white boxes, blue boxes, black/yellow curbs, sometimes you gotte park left side on even and right side on odd days (no joke).
If unsure, find a parking area ands pay.

btw, the italian police makes no prisoners for speeders and drunk driving. DUI may actually get your car confiscated for good, and fees for speeding are exorbitant.

93legendti
05-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Last time I went was 2001 with my wife. We used our Tri all 3 dual bike case. We left it at the Jet Hotel in Milano, where we spent the first and last nights. Since I went the folding BF Pocket Rocket route, the case has been unused in our garage. :crap::crap:

Mr. Pink
05-21-2016, 05:22 PM
They send their wives there in Cinquecentos. What can actually be very confusing is parking in cities. They got a colorcoding system in place - yellow boxes, white boxes, blue boxes, black/yellow curbs, sometimes you gotte park left side on even and right side on odd days (no joke).
If unsure, find a parking area ands pay.

I have never driven in a city, and have no desire to. Closest I came was Lucca, and that wasn't fun. Thank god for modern GPS. I rent at the airport, and head straight to the country.

TomNY
05-23-2016, 02:51 PM
I am grateful and impressed w sharing restaurants and non tourist places to see.

This trip is 35 years late to GF who had a backpack thru Europe planned. Then kids interrupted that idea. So I've challenged her to pack in a backpack for the week. No cars. Trains, bikes, scooters, etc. My dentist friend has been doing something like this for 30+ years. We'll take seats, pedals, helmets[?].

Night time guided bike tour of Rome, Bike tour Florence area vineyards. Vespa up to Volterra, maybe I will cycle, drop off scooters, then train to Venice. Back to Rome before morning flight to EWR.

Any suggestions for non tourist Venice?

jh_on_the_cape
05-23-2016, 08:02 PM
I am grateful and impressed w sharing restaurants and non tourist places to see.

This trip is 35 years late to GF who had a backpack thru Europe planned. Then kids interrupted that idea. So I've challenged her to pack in a backpack for the week. No cars. Trains, bikes, scooters, etc. My dentist friend has been doing something like this for 30+ years. We'll take seats, pedals, helmets[?].

Night time guided bike tour of Rome, Bike tour Florence area vineyards. Vespa up to Volterra, maybe I will cycle, drop off scooters, then train to Venice. Back to Rome before morning flight to EWR.

Do not read The Comfort of Strangers!
If you are walking around in Venice in the evening and you see a crowd of people spilling out of a bar, stop in and order an Aperol Spritz and join the crowd.

TomNY
05-24-2016, 09:24 PM
For restaurants get the slow food guide. It has a snail on the cover.
If someone outside the restaurant invites you in it's a tourist trap.
If you are staying in Rome in Rione Monti or Esquilino I can give some specific places. Gelateria Fassi. Pasticeria regoli. Both near Piazza Vittorio
http://www.amazon.com/Osterie-Locande-dItalia-Traditional-Places/dp/8884991145#

this is our address - Via Pietro Micca, 2 S1
Rome, Lazio 00185
Italy
any suggestions ?:beer:

jh_on_the_cape
05-24-2016, 09:53 PM
this is our address - Via Pietro Micca, 2 S1
Rome, Lazio 00185
Italy
any suggestions ?:beer:
You are in new Chinatown or close to it. Don't be put off by all the chinese.
Gelateria Fassi is very close so go daily. Pasticeria regoli a little further and they just opened a cafe. Millefolie. Around the corner is Panella which well regarded.
Agata e romeo is famous but $$$. Never ate there personally. Nearby is trattoria Monti. Quite good. For quick food get a suppli rice ball. Europa 2000 or really any pizzeria. Best pizza is not far at formula uno.
Cafe Santa Maria Maggiore is where we go.
If you are into paleo Christian stuff go to Santa prassede right there.
Basically my hood is a bit more towards Santa Maria maggiore so don't know much over that way besides fassi.

TomNY
05-24-2016, 09:55 PM
It's actually pretty easy to ride out of Firenze centro, going south into Chianti. You can also go up to Fiesole and into the Mugello without much stress other than a goodly climb if you want to go North.. The trick is to take the smaller roads, often only a lane or so wide, rather than Via Senese when going south, or coming back into town, the traffic is much less.

You can also sometimes get a decent bike to rent at Chianti Bikes in Tavarnuzze, That is the first little town on Via Cassia after the Impruneta Autostrada roundabout-I will admit riding through that takes a bit of getting use to going south. It would not be much of a taxi ride to Tavernuzze and I am pretty sure the ATF bus also goes there. But as others have mentioned, the hours are limited and it helps to have some Italian to make sure things are set.

I will also vouch for the Pika bags, what is great is that once the bike is up they can squish out of the way and loaded or empty they will go in a much smaller car than a hard case. That being said, I just bough a used bike for 600 euro a few years ago and keep it there rather than bring a bike back and forth.

Our address in Florence is:
https://www.airbnb.com/s/Via-Umberto-Maddalena-Firenze--Italy

Mr. Pink
05-25-2016, 12:16 AM

Padua.

No, seriously, if it's your first time to Venice, don't avoid all the tourist spots. But, DO NOT eat or drink near the Rialto Bridge. You've been warned. Some other spots can almost be depressing. There is not only a Hard Rock Cafe, but A Hard Rock store a few blocks away. Half of China is everywhere in front of you, snapping pictures at all the popular spots.
Do visit St. Marks and Doge's Palace, and marvel at what that place was centuries ago. If the flooding continues, St. marks doesn't have long for this world.

martl
05-25-2016, 02:05 AM
You are in new Chinatown or close to it. Don't be put off by all the chinese.

Be careful in those back alleys, and keep your Nunchakus handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmCvWBlb8_4

SCNR