PDA

View Full Version : Routing cable for Thomson Elite dropper post

DRZRM
05-17-2016, 10:03 PM
So got my awesome Thomson Elite dropper post for my Zanc 29er hardtail. It seems that everyone runs the cable housing complete from lever to seat head. I ordered home hydraulic housing clips and am patiently awaiting their arrival. That said, I'm running the bike 1x10 which leaves my FD cable stops just sitting empty. The seat is cable actuated, is there any reason not to cut the housing and run the cable exposed between the stops, you know, old school. I feels like a stupid question, why not run cables through a cable stop, but in all the pictures I'm looking at, it seems like nobody is doing it. Is there something I'm overlooking? I'm getting nothing on google, but maybe I'm searching wrong.

zank
05-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Totally fine. I recommend the Lindarets Remount to move that switch to a more natural position. Welcome to the wonderful world of dropper awesomeness!

12snap
05-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Generally, full housing runs are used to avoid getting dirt and grit inside the housing which would affect the cable pull. It will work fine to use your existing cable stop and expose the bare wire but you may find yourself doing more maintenance and making cable/housing changes more frequently down the road.

So got my awesome Thomson Elite dropper post for my Zanc 29er hardtail. It seems that everyone runs the cable housing complete from lever to seat head. I ordered home hydraulic housing clips and am patiently awaiting their arrival. That said, I'm running the bike 1x10 which leaves my FD cable stops just sitting empty. The seat is cable actuated, is there any reason not to cut the housing and run the cable exposed between the stops, you know, old school. I feels like a stupid question, why not run cables through a cable stop, but in all the pictures I'm looking at, it seems like nobody is doing it. Is there something I'm overlooking? I'm getting nothing on google, but maybe I'm searching wrong.