PDA

View Full Version : Ok, gotta ask...gimme your opinions on Geritol

Kingfisher
05-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Buddy of mine, 63 says he just started taking it and his energy level, libido, etc. has definitely improved. So, I figure at 61 it can't hurt??

I admit I don't have the energy I used to, but just attributed it to being 60 + years.

I'm about to run to CVS tonite to buy some.

bikingshearer
05-17-2016, 05:35 PM
I didn't know that stuff was still on the market.

As a 58 year old with more than a passing interest, let us know how your experiment works out.

Kingfisher
05-17-2016, 05:40 PM
I asked the kid at the grocery store/pharmacy if they carried it and he looked at me like I was from another planet...asked what is it used for and how do you spell it....LOL, needless to say Wegmans pharmacy does not carry it.

91Bear
05-17-2016, 05:41 PM
It's just an iron and B-vitamin supplement.

"My wife....I think I'll keep her."

bthornt
05-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Available at Amazon.com

DarkStar
05-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Back around 1980 I was employed at a small pharmaceutical company called JB Williams, they manufactured Geritol, snake oil really, just some vitamins and a healthy amount of alcohol. JB Williams was bought out by one of the major conglomerates around ‘83 for the product line and shortly thereafter I was looking for a new job.

Louis
05-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Back around 1980 I was employed at a small pharmaceutical company called JB Williams, they manufactured Geritol

And Aqua Velva...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hblXYrP2y8o/hqdefault.jpg

DarkStar
05-17-2016, 07:36 PM
And Aqua Velva...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hblXYrP2y8o/hqdefault.jpg
Yes, and a bunch other products.

zmudshark
05-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Are there performance enhancements? Is it detectable if the answer is 'yes'?

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Peter P.
05-17-2016, 07:42 PM
I first heard of Geritol while watching the Lawrence Welk Show as a kid.
Ah, the memories...

Seramount
05-18-2016, 09:11 AM
yeah, I remember ads for Geritol...

also Brylcreem, Hamm's beer, 'doctors' recommending cigarette brands for their patients who smoke, hard liquor commercials, seeing the USA in your Chevrolet...

the good ol' days...

saab2000
05-18-2016, 09:42 AM

also Brylcreem, Hamm's beer, 'doctors' recommending cigarette brands for their patients who smoke, hard liquor commercials, seeing the USA in your Chevrolet...

the good ol' days...

And now we see ads by big pharma for quasi made-up conditions and for addictive substances, etc.....:crap:

soulspinner
05-18-2016, 09:57 AM
and now we see ads by big pharma for quasi made-up conditions and for addictive substances, etc.....:crap:

+1

gasman
05-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Geritol is just liquid with vitamins and a small amount of iron. I think your friend has succumbed to the placebo effect unless he has iron deficiency anemia.
Iron supplements in men on a daily basis is not a good idea as it has been shown to have toxicity when taken on a long term basis. It's basically snake oil.
BTW I'm 62.

pjm
05-18-2016, 01:05 PM
It worked for Betty!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RrL_8D5jpDk

bikingshearer
05-18-2016, 01:29 PM

also Brylcreem,

"a little db'll do ya . . ."

Hamm's beer,

"From the land of sky blue waters . . ."

'doctors' recommending cigarette brands for their patients who smoke,

"Four out of five doctors prefer camels . . ." (Mad Magazine followed that with "the other one would rather date a girl.")

hard liquor commercials,

Heck, those are still on.

seeing the USA in your Chevrolet...

and "Plymouth is out to win you over this year" and "Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?"

the good ol' days...

And the amount of completely useless random sh*t I remember from them scares me. I can remember the "Dr. Ross dog food" jingle (c.1964) from start to finish, but can I remember what I just walked into a room to do? :confused:

OtayBW
05-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Did not work for Ted Mack....

Kingfisher
05-18-2016, 03:41 PM
OP here, so I guess this stuff is just like all the other quack remedies out there, more sales and marketing than fact. But, the mental effect might have something to do with my friend feeling better.??

I'm out tonite with my wife...might stop in to CVS drugstore and just get some for the hell of it.....nothing to lose except my $$.

Seramount
05-18-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm out tonite with my wife...might stop in to CVS drugstore and just get some for the hell of it.....nothing to lose except my $$.

google 'does Geritol work'...

apparently, there are people who think it helps in becoming pregnant...

so, like don't share any with the wifey unless you're wanting to get in the family way and stuff...

tuscanyswe
05-18-2016, 04:01 PM
I dont know anything about Geritol but if it idd contains b12? it can be a rather nice energy boost if your levels are low. Could be he (your friend) just had a low level and is functioning a lot better with a "normal" level.

trentschler
05-18-2016, 05:02 PM
I first heard of Geritol while watching the Lawrence Welk Show as a kid.
Ah, the memories...

Ted Mack and The Original Amateur Hour - came on just before Ed Sullivan.

verbs4us
05-18-2016, 06:03 PM
OK, I'll take the bait. Sort of. As a 30-year vegetarian and 20-year vegan, my schedule sometimes doesn't allow me to eat the right things. On a vegan diet there are three things to be mindful of: calcium, B12 and iron. B12 is easy--just pop a pill. Calcium about the same, if you miss your leafy greens. the challenge with vegetable based (non-heme) iron is that it is less well absorbed than animal based (heme) iron. Abundant iron in, say, spinach, but other substances in spinach block iron absorption and the form is less well absorbed to begin with. When I can, I cook in iron pots (quadruple the absorbable iron in spaghetti by boiling it in an iron pot; increase it further my serving it with an acid food--like tomato sauce). So I can't always do this. At age 59, I have noticed an endurance boost by taking an iron pill (Femiron, for example) before a ride. The catch is, it can tie up your gut as well, ruining any benefit. There are newer generations of iron pills that as less prone to GI upset, so that might require some trial and error. if you eat steak, or fish or shell fish or liver, this might be irrelevant since you're already getting lots of heme iron.

Frankwurst
05-18-2016, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't take it without your physican's approval....side affects might be stomach cramps, dizziness, headaches, loss of memory, blurred vision, IBS, thoughts of suicide, depression, hypertension, aching joints, backspasms and memory loss. I take it all the time.:beer::rolleyes:

ldamelio
05-18-2016, 07:57 PM
And now we see ads by big pharma for quasi made-up conditions and for addictive substances, etc.....:crap:

Saab for the win. You're being generous with the 'quasi'. Most of the behavioral drugs being peddled on TV are for imaginary diseases cooked up by the APA in cahoots with big pharma making up the DSM V (latest psychiatric diagnostic guidelines). Before anyone jumps on me as a conspiracy theorist 1) I'm not minimizing true mental illness and 2) big pharma relies on inappropriate prescribing by overworked and uninformed primary care docs who hand out psychoactive drugs like candy for everyday stresses and behavioral variations.There's a whole generation of young boys being medicated into submission with overdiagnosed ADD and ADHD. And *** are restless leg syndrome and dry eye syndrome?

I'm a physician and am appalled by the proliferation of what I refer to as 'TV diseases'. Just as bad if not worse than cigarettes and liquor in TV advertising.

bikingshearer
05-19-2016, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't take it without your physican's approval....side affects might be stomach cramps, dizziness, headaches, loss of memory, blurred vision, IBS, thoughts of suicide, depression, hypertension, aching joints, backspasms and memory loss. I take it all the time.:beer::rolleyes:

As long as the side effects don't include "anal leakage."

soulspinner
05-20-2016, 05:22 AM
As long as the side effects don't include "anal leakage."

:eek: