PDA

View Full Version : OT / advice on BMW X5

ntb1001
05-17-2016, 03:16 PM
I'm looking for some opinions on BMW X5.
I am thinking of buying a used 2 year old diesel X5 xdrive 35d. I'm not interested in new..too expensive.
I like the way they drive, but I don't have any knowledge or experiance with them...any thoughts on this vehicle? ?

Gummee
05-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Its not called Bring More Wallet for nothing.

Great vehicles till ya gotta fix em. ...as I'm finding out with my new-to-me 04 X3

Got a sunroof leak from hades

M

grawk
05-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Typical recommendation is don't own a bmw without a warranty. That said, that engine is rock solid.

ergott
05-18-2016, 09:03 AM
I love BMWs, but wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. They have a horrible reliability record and expensive to repair. Benz in the same boat these days.

Blown Reek
05-18-2016, 09:06 AM
04 X3

What do you expect from a 12 year old "luxury" vehicle?

To the OP: make sure that you get the BMW CPO, or at least the warranty through Carmax and then sell it when the warranty is almost over. Problem solved.

eddief
05-18-2016, 09:09 AM
Not so much fun as a BMW, but seems like a good, practical choice:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-toyota-rav4-hybrid-first-drive-review

The price increment for the hybrid powertrain is only $700. That means $29,270 for the XLE and $34,510 for the Limited. Astute RAV4 shoppers might notice that baked into the XLE price is an increase of another $1000 or so from the nonhybrid 2015 model, but at least some of that is offset by a higher level of standard equipment for the refreshed version. For example, Toyota’s Entune Audio Plus infotainment system with a high-res LCD screen and Connected Navigation now is standard on the XLE, along with a power liftgate, halogen projector-beam headlights, and proximity access and ignition.

SeanScott
05-18-2016, 09:33 AM
I have a X5 e53 with a manual transmission. I drives very much like a truck not very luxurious but has never given me any problems. I have learned how to do many maintenance jobs from owning a few BMWs.

My friend owns a X5 xdrive 35d
It is so much different than my X5. It is a joy to drive. So much torque. We took it up to Mammoth and it did great. 100mph feels like nothing to this suv.
The interior is beautiful and comfortable however in typical BMW fashion pretty stiff and keeps the driver involved.
The steering is very heavy and is one of the complaints I hear from his wife.
He does get fantastic gas milage considering the weight and power. It also looks mean and wide with it's 315 rear tires.
The only strange thing is he has to take it in once and a while and get a BMW diesel exhaust fluid added.
Overall a pretty awesome SUV

Gsinill
05-18-2016, 09:34 AM
I'm looking for some opinions on BMW X5.
I am thinking of buying a used 2 year old diesel X5 xdrive 35d. I'm not interested in new..too expensive.
I like the way they drive, but I don't have any knowledge or experiance with them...any thoughts on this vehicle? ?

I own a '12 X5d which I bought new.

Nothing negative to say about it other than idiosyncrasies with some of the interior features, nothing major though.

I am a huge Diesel fan to the point that if I were still living in Europe I would never buy anything but a Diesel.
This said, I am a little disappointed with the engine in the X5d.
IMHO it is border lining underpowered and BMW would have been much better off using the 4.0L engine over the the 3.0.
Not for performance reasons but because I heard that the bigger engine available in Europe has a better mpg and runs quieter and smoother.

So far we averaged around 20mpg with a 40:60 highway - city mix.

Good car.

SeanScott
05-18-2016, 09:36 AM
It's funny, my 3.0 with a manual also gets 20mpg mix

I own a '12 X5d which I bought new.

Nothing negative to say about it other than idiosyncrasies with some of the interior features, nothing major though.

I am a huge Diesel fan to the point that if I were still living in Europe I would never buy anything but a Diesel.
This said, I am a little disappointed with the engine in the X5d.
IMHO it is border lining underpowered and BMW would have been much better off using the 4.0L engine over the the 3.0.
Not for performance reasons but because I heard that the bigger engine available in Europe has a better mpg and runs quieter and smoother.

So far we averaged around 20mpg with a 40:60 highway - city mix.

Good car.

jimcav
05-18-2016, 09:50 AM
better mpg and more capable off road, also cheaper.
we had a non-diesel grand cherokee '98 and it is still going with no major issues--sunroof no longer opens (but doesn't leak) went to my folks and then to my nephew.
in preparation for retirement I decided to get my wife a car while i can still get military discount and of course while i still have a job to take advantage of below 2% loan rates. My only requirement was 4x4 and diesel, so we drove SUV and trucks, the jeep was the best deal hands down. there are some new diesels they were really discounting (9-10k below MSRP, which was probably 2k under invoice--anyway thousands less than the "true car" great price and buying service price we used)
Everyone i know with a BMW (and that is mostly 3 and series sedans) loves how they drive and hates how much they cost (gas, repairs)

sfscott
05-18-2016, 01:37 PM
I am on my second X5 35d.

I LOVE them and have never had any problems. The recent refresh made some nice improvements.

Buy CPO with the extended warranty and enjoy. Ignore the haters.

christian
05-18-2016, 04:31 PM
When it comes to BMW X5s, I quote Jay Z's Show You How. :)

taylor_walker
05-18-2016, 05:06 PM
I am in agreement with sfscott -- good car, buy it CPO. I, too, have had two X5Ds, both CPO, and they have been good cars, though I will add the following observations from my experience:

1) Great motor, esp. for long, open road trips and/or towing trailers
2) Best handling SUV IMO
3) The X5D is heavy and lurches in town (hilly San Francisco driving)
4) The diesel motor costs a premium over the gasoline six cylinder model, and the "payback" or recapture is pretty long (vs the gas powered six).
5) In my areas of driving (CA, ID, MT) Diesel fuel prices ran way above premium gasoline during the most recent oil "crisis", crushing any potential MPG $ savings
6) My 1st X5D had a buggy engine warning light but no fit and finish issues; my 2nd X5D has had no engine issues, but numerous fit and finish issues.

Best,

tw

witcombusa
05-18-2016, 07:17 PM
I work with a guy who's wife has a 3 year old non diesel X5. That thing has had more trips on a flatbed than ANY vehicle I've ever heard of. Almost all the problems are with the massive amount of electronics. Be sure and keep a bike in the back! :banana:

rnhood
05-18-2016, 07:46 PM
My riding buddy has one, and with a stick. He doesn't like it and has had lots of trouble. BMW is also going to discontinue it.

Verdict: Pass on it.

taylor_walker
05-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Not sure what model you are suggesting will be discontinued (?). As mentioned below, "trucks" are some of BMW's best sellers in the US:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bmw-group-us-reports-december-and-2015-sales-300199606.html

Best,

tw

Gummee
05-18-2016, 08:18 PM
It's funny, my 3.0 with a manual also gets 20mpg mix
computer sez I'm getting 24.5 mpg or so in my first half tank

My car doesn't really need anything mechanical yet, but the panoramic sunroof's gonna need some lovin.

M

LegendRider
05-18-2016, 08:22 PM
The wife of one of my cycling buddies has one. He complains incessantly of how often it's in the shop...

protorio
05-19-2016, 09:17 AM
Solid motor. Get to know a good mechanic for the rest of the car.

earlfoss
05-19-2016, 06:04 PM
If you can do your own work, it's no big deal buying an out of warranty BMW.

I get my parts from Rockauto and the way these cars are out together, most of the DIY work is not difficult at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another used BMW. My 2003 325xi wagon is still going strong at 177,000 miles.

p nut
05-19-2016, 06:18 PM
better mpg and more capable off road, also cheaper.
we had a non-diesel grand cherokee '98 and it is still going with no major issues--sunroof no longer opens (but doesn't leak) went to my folks and then to my nephew...

I had a '98 Grand Cherokee with the 5.9L engine. That thing was a beast. Never broke down and we romped all over in that thing. A buddy of mine had a '96 that also took a lot of beating and never had issues. I don't know about the ones today, but loved those old Jeeps.

buldogge
05-19-2016, 06:58 PM
100% agree.

These are solid cars, with relatively rational builds/engineering...I would always rather be working on a BMW than a Japanese car, and most definitely over a VW/Porsche/Audi!

Also, there is a very active online community of BMW fanatics, and most issues are common and pretty well hashed out, already.

-Mark in St. Louis

If you can do your own work, it's no big deal buying an out of warranty BMW.

I get my parts from Rockauto and the way these cars are out together, most of the DIY work is not difficult at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another used BMW. My 2003 325xi wagon is still going strong at 177,000 miles.

summilux
05-19-2016, 07:14 PM
These are solid cars, with relatively rational builds/engineering...I would always rather be working on a BMW than a Japanese car, and most definitely over a VW/Porsche/Audi!

Also, there is a very active online community of BMW fanatics, and most issues are common and pretty well hashed out, already.

I have an '07 328i with 130K miles on. Bought it CPO and kept it after warranty expired. BMWs are fun to drive. Even the X5 is fun, much more fun than such a big heavy car has any right to be.

In terms of reliability, BMWs are just so so. BMW water pumps, starter motors and suspension parts are wear items and if they haven't been replaced on your car, they will need to be at some point. You will absolutely hate your car if you think that the only thing you have to do is change the oil. If you budget ~$2/year on repair out of warranty you will be OK. Find a good independent garage that specializes in BMWs.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another BMW. I'm looking to get 200K miles on mine

buldogge
05-19-2016, 07:32 PM
I assume you mean $2k/year...not for me.

I do my own work...I search out cheapest prices on parts...I have a "relationship" with an independent dealer, if I really need GT1 or Autologic access.

'92 325is (SCCA ITS race car)
'00 MCoupe
'06 530xiT
'13 X3 28xdrive

Changing waterpumps/rad/hoses/belts/tensioners every 80k or so is just common sense (different kettle of fish with the newer models, though) and not terribly expensive...say $300-500 (+$200 for the newer electric pumps).

Again, my 2c.

-Mark

I have an '07 328i with 130K miles on. Bought it CPO and kept it after warranty expired. BMWs are fun to drive. Even the X5 is fun, much more fun than such a big heavy car has any right to be.

In terms of reliability, BMWs are just so so. BMW water pumps, starter motors and suspension parts are wear items and if they haven't been replaced on your car, they will need to be at some point. You will absolutely hate your car if you think that the only thing you have to do is change the oil. If you budget ~$2/year on repair out of warranty you will be OK. Find a good independent garage that specializes in BMWs.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another BMW. I'm looking to get 200K miles on mine

Ken Robb
05-19-2016, 09:11 PM
I assume you mean $2k/year...not for me.

I do my own work...I search out cheapest prices on parts...I have a "relationship" with an independent dealer, if I really need GT1 or Autologic access.

'92 325is (SCCA ITS race car)
'00 MCoupe
'06 530xiT
'13 X3 28xdrive

Changing waterpumps/rad/hoses/belts/tensioners every 80k or so is just common sense (different kettle of fish with the newer models, though) and not terribly expensive...say $300-500 (+$200 for the newer electric pumps).

Again, my 2c.

-Mark
Do you have all of those cars now?

buldogge
05-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Yes.

Want to buy a BMW SCCA ITS race car?

-Mark

Do you have all of those cars now?

Ken Robb
05-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Yes.

Want to buy a BMW SCCA ITS race car?

-Mark

Nope---but a whole bunch of my old pals who were/are driving instructors for BMWCCA schools run in their Club racing program. I decided long ago that I was unwilling to devote the $$, time, commitment to have a reasonable race campaign.

If you belong to BMWCCA you probably know race cars sell pretty well in the Roundel classifieds.

AngryScientist
05-19-2016, 09:22 PM
100% agree.

-Mark in St. Louis

I concur. I do all my own work on my BMW, and knock on wood, all the bimmers I've had have been reasonably reliable. Water pumps, starters, sensors, etc. None of those things have been out of the question of a driveway mechanic with decent toolbox and some mechanical knowledge.

buldogge
05-19-2016, 09:35 PM
This isn't a pretty boy BMWCCA Club Racing car...it's been around the block, toe-to-toe with Spec Miatas (aka ITA Miatas)...over and over...and has the battle scars to prove it! :banana:

ITS and BMWCCA Club racing rules/builds don't cross over well, either.

Besides...that takes real effort.... :help:

-Mark

Nope---but a whole bunch of my old pals who were/are driving instructors for BMWCCA schools run in their Club racing program. I decided long ago that I was unwilling to devote the $$, time, commitment to have a reasonable race campaign.

If you belong to BMWCCA you probably know race cars sell pretty well in the Roundel classifieds.

malcolm
05-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Got nothing to add and never an X5but have had my share of BMWs mostly Ms, several M3s, an M5 and a 540i 6speed. Never really had an issue with any of them. They are expensive to maintain. If you are out of warranty I would find a good mechanic that specializes in them and skip the dealer.

I'm always amazed in these threads how many people know someone that had one that was nothing but problems yet they have never personally had one. Folks love to hate. Same with Porsche, my wife has owned a half dozen or more over 20 years and yes maintenance is expensive and parts are expensive and if they break they are expensive to repair but everyone has been bullet proof, brakes, tires and routine maintenance. Hey maybe we are just lucky. I spoke at length with one of the instructors at the porsche driving school and he said the cars just never break. Use up a lot of brakes but no failures.

Euro cars are not toyotas/hondas. They are more expensive to maintain and more expensive to repair. I think everyone knows that. If they were the crap they are portrayed to be no one would own them. After having said that I would be hesitant to own one out of warranty just due to the cost of a catastrophic failure, ie transmission etc.

If you want the car buy it. Do your research at reliable sites. Opinions on the things randomly on the web is worth exactly what you paid, mine included.

Rant over thanks for listening

peanutgallery
05-20-2016, 09:34 AM
When I got married my Dad gave me 2 pieces of advice:

1. Never take out the trash in the bathroom
2. There's nothing more expensive than cheap German cars

I have adhered to number 1 as it seemed like a very sound concept, I have broken number 2 several times and ....he was right

As far as an IT class SCCA racer, its hard to beat a Miata or a gen 2 RX7 racing. Lots of bang for the buck. Spec Miata class is usually pretty large and super competitive. I'm pretty sure all the Mazda guys make a point of purposefully running into the Bimmer guys to hopefully bankrupt them as the BMWs that folks pull together are generally pretty fast