PDA

View Full Version : OK, fine, so you won't pay $450 for a pump...

chiasticon
05-17-2016, 11:50 AM
what about $235?

https://silca.cc/products/superpista

thirdgenbird
05-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Anyone want a mint specialized pro?

EDS
05-17-2016, 12:03 PM
I could get behind that once my 15 year old Topeak Joe Blow pump dies.

AngryScientist
05-17-2016, 12:03 PM
yes, now we're getting somewhere. very cool.

MaraudingWalrus
05-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Yes. As soon as my current pump fails I will order one of these in a heartbeat.

pavel
05-17-2016, 12:23 PM
bought a new super pista for under 100 just a couple of years ago.

ColonelJLloyd
05-17-2016, 12:24 PM
I don't need two pumps. But, I don't need two bikes either. I will have one of these.

gdw
05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Nope. My old Silca is still going strong and there are lots of other options if it dies that are less expensive and work great.

MattTuck
05-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Yes.

http://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/files/files/images/2015/2/11/140208_2723341_Pumping_Up_with_Hans__amp__Franz_an vver_1.jpg

HenryA
05-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Home run, bases loaded.

AngryScientist
05-17-2016, 01:51 PM
silca is very smart.

they introduced the $450 pump to the market and softened us all up a little. a few years later and a $225 pump seems like a real bargain. they've got us! brilliant!

R3awak3n
05-17-2016, 02:08 PM
$235 is still super expensive for a pump but it does look nice. I mean its twice as much as a nice Lezyne but the Lezynes have a crappy chuck and these don't

I would be interested in one but I just got a Hirame for my Lezyne and could not be happier.

Lanternrouge
05-17-2016, 02:13 PM
silca is very smart.

they introduced the $450 pump to the market and softened us all up a little. a few years later and a $225 pump seems like a real bargain. they've got us! brilliant!

It is kind of like bling for your workspace/garage and in comparison to a lot of the comparable things that end up on your bike or body. It looks really nice and it's easy to rationalize the price when you amortize the cost over how long you will likely have it. I could see myself possibly getting this one even though I couldn't rationale the $450. It's really just the cost of a couple of the really nice tires if we want to think about it that way.

Bradford
05-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Nope.

There are just so many cycling products targeting people who are angry with their money. The one I have pumps up my tires and was about $40. No need for anything more.

gdw
05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Working vintage Super Pistas usual sell for around for $50 on Ebay. They're easy to maintain and will last a lifetime.

pdmtong
05-17-2016, 02:59 PM
silca is very smart. they introduced the $450 pump to the market and softened us all up a little. a few years later and a $225 pump seems like a real bargain. they've got us! brilliant!

yup...this.
Feels like a deal. you get 9x% of the $450 at half the price.

My blackburn air tower 5 will not die. That thing is awesome - dual stage for high volume / low pressure mtb and low volume / high pressure road tires.

My lezyne works ok - no issues like others have reported but the smaller barrel moves less air per stroke so takes longer.

I do like the Silca feel...I guess I will buy one when I can use a coupon on it 3 years from now.

chiasticon
05-17-2016, 03:06 PM
yeah if only these had come out a month ago, Competitive Cyclist would have and we could get 21% off right now (during the Giro).

Louis
05-17-2016, 03:08 PM
what about $235?

Heck no.

William
05-17-2016, 03:11 PM
I don't really care how others spend their dough, but my vintage all metal Topeak Air Hammer still works just fine thank you very much. :)

William

benb
05-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Nope.

There are just so many cycling products targeting people who are angry with their money. The one I have pumps up my tires and was about $40. No need for anything more.

How long do those last compared to the Silca? I don't have a Silca. My father has one that's gotta be 30 years old and still works fine.

I've probably had 6 pumps in the last 17 years. I have 3 right now, at least 3 got trashed after wearing out. I have one in the house that is with the trainers. That one is perfect, it gets the lightest use. I have one I keep in my car. The plastic head is starting to wear out, it doesn't work very well on smooth presto valves anymore. Then I have a 3rd that no longer really works on Presta at all, I just use that one for the car to try and preserve the other ones that are still working better. Those 3 certainly added up to a cost more than this Silca and way more than what a Silca cost 17 years ago.

I am just curious what you need to do to maintain the Silcas over the long run. My father's still works cause he rides his bike 1/100th as much as I do.

pdmtong
05-17-2016, 03:28 PM
I got tired of my old silca because the rubber gasket that "holds" the head to the valve stem kept getting shredded by threaded stems. so I switched to smooth stems (michelin air comp, mavic, etc.) and also got a two way head and a higher volume pump (since have mtb's to deal with also)

is the current gasket rubber piece still a HIGH wear item with annual replacement expectation?
"Push on-push off Presta Chuck with SILCA's famous 242 Gasket"

bicycletricycle
05-17-2016, 03:31 PM
I got tired of my old silca because the rubber gasket that "holds" the head to the valve stem kept getting shredded by threaded stems. so I switched to smooth stems (michelin air comp, mavic, etc.) and also got a two way head and a higher volume pump (since have mtb's to deal with also)

is the current gasket rubber piece still a HIGH wear item with annual replacement expectation?
"Push on-push off Presta Chuck with SILCA's famous 242 Gasket"

I have had the same rubber gasket in mine for 15 years, i think some people push them on too far or something.

Bob Ross
05-17-2016, 03:32 PM
I could get behind that once my 15 year old Topeak Joe Blow pump dies.

Yours doesn't die every 6 months?!?! I must be doing something wrong...

FlashUNC
05-17-2016, 03:34 PM
This one going to move more air than a squirrel fart like the 1989 one they reference?

R3awak3n
05-17-2016, 03:57 PM
fyi, these are taiwan made instead of US made. Not that it matters but makes sense

Bradford
05-17-2016, 04:06 PM
How long do those last compared to the Silca? I don't have a Silca. My father has one that's gotta be 30 years old and still works fine.

I've probably had 6 pumps in the last 17 years. I have 3 right now, at least 3 got trashed after wearing out. I have one in the house that is with the trainers. That one is perfect, it gets the lightest use. I have one I keep in my car. The plastic head is starting to wear out, it doesn't work very well on smooth presto valves anymore. Then I have a 3rd that no longer really works on Presta at all, I just use that one for the car to try and preserve the other ones that are still working better. ...

I just bought one of these after my Toepeak head wore out (damn thing only lasted 20 years). Cost $14, works beautifully, and easy on and off. Presto, new pump.

You should replace your pump heads and all your pumps will be good as new.

fuzzalow
05-17-2016, 05:14 PM
I've probably had 6 pumps in the last 17 years.

I'm almost afraid to say it: I have had one pump in the last 40 or so years. Silca track pump. And as fitting as might be for a pump made in the mid 1970's, it is painted in Molteni Orange.

I got that pump when I was sometime about the first few years of high school. The pump exhibits a grudging nod to multinational modernity in having a Tanaka pump head replacing the Silca chuck. I'd like to buy a Silca Superpista but this one refuses to die.

unterhausen
05-17-2016, 08:16 PM
a few years later and a $225 pump seems like a real bargain. they've got us! brilliant!I have a Hite pump that I bought for most of $100 back in the '70s. Don't tell silca, but in today's dollars that's about $300. I really didn't regret it back then. The $30 floor pumps that are being sold nowadays are pretty good, but I'm going to think about this one

rounder
05-17-2016, 08:52 PM
My Silca pump has the two foot design and falls over a lot. Have replaced parts a few times, most recently with a Hirame head. That said, the pump works great and I love it.

EDS
05-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Yours doesn't die every 6 months?!?! I must be doing something wrong...

Nope. I have not done any maintenance on it yet.

bicycletricycle
05-17-2016, 10:07 PM
I have an older silca super pista with the wooden handle and brass head. The plastic parts on it have some cracks but it all still works well, never let's me down.

I had been thinking of getting a second pump for a different location, was looking at a lezyn, but I think I'd rather have this one.

The lezyne would probably be fine, even a crap Blackburn or something would probably work for a while,

But,

That new silca is a serious piece of kit, looks great, if it works as good as it looks, seems like a good deal to me.

steelbikerider
05-17-2016, 10:24 PM
D***, I just bought a NOS Silca Pista in 2014. It replaced my Silca from 1979 that still works but was starting to leak at the joint between the tube and base. If I'm riding or alive in 2049 I'll get one.

1happygirl
05-17-2016, 10:26 PM
(happy girl at 3 am looking around closet)

Now where did I put that Rapha pump I just bought?!!!!

:crap:

AllanVarcoe
05-17-2016, 10:32 PM
silca is very smart.

This!:banana:

For real on the Joe Blow! Mine lasted forever! I gave it to my neighbor when I felt like I wanted to try something new. Topeak something or other name was $50 cost and has been going strong for 3 years. I can't ever see myself wanting to spend that much on a pump.

Fatty
05-18-2016, 12:32 PM
fyi, these are taiwan made instead of US made. Not that it matters but makes sense

Oh that matters. To me anyway.

jlwdm
05-18-2016, 03:23 PM
I went to the website and liked the $500 pump. Bought the $20 orange t-shirt instead.

Jeff