PDA

View Full Version : Rim tape: Never even thought about it until...

makoti
05-16-2016, 01:35 PM
I got a flat this weekend. The tape had failed & the tube was cut on either the spoke hole or the spoke itself. It was a blue, Stan's type rim tape, only done with one pass. I was using a latex tube, 100psi in the rear wheel. The tube showed marks from where almost all the other spoke holes were.
Questions: Would two passes on the tape have prevented this? Do latex tubes have issues with this kind of thing, meaning do they deform more, so put more pressure on the spoke area? How long should this type of rim tape last? These wheels are 3yrs old. I'll be pulling the other wheel apart to check that one out.
Oh, and then the valve core came out on the spare while I was trying to get the pump off the tube. Fun times.

AngryScientist
05-16-2016, 01:45 PM
i have always heard to use two layers of the blue tape for tubed applications. i have been using such for a while, and no problems.

makoti
05-16-2016, 02:10 PM
i have always heard to use two layers of the blue tape for tubed applications. i have been using such for a while, and no problems.

That's what I thought I'd heard, but these came from the builder like this.

ergott
05-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Two layers for road pressures. Someone's being cheap using only one.

jwess1234
05-16-2016, 02:16 PM
I don't know about Stan's blue tape in particular, but I think a lot as to do with application. For instance, I had a well-known Boston shop improperly reapply the old cloth tape which then caused catastrophic failure of a tube for me on a the next ride.

Whenever putting a new tube/tire on now I always check tape alignment, coverage, and if there is any sign of wearing thin.

benb
05-16-2016, 02:25 PM
I had bad luck with the cheap plastic strips on my first MTB. That was a $500 Giant if it makes any difference.

I got about 4 flats in the first month I was trying to ride. They were from the plastic strip. Once I replaced the strip with cloth tape I never got any more of those flats.

Next bike was a Trek Road bike about $1500. That bike and every bike/wheelset I've bought since then was properly taped and I've never had the problem again.

I am kind of superstitiously inclined towards the cloth velox tape ever since that first incident.

cp43
05-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Two layers for road pressures. Someone's being cheap using only one.

Is the blue tape different than the yellow? Does the yellow require two layers?

I built wheels for my wife's bike with Stan's yellow rim tape. It was the first (and only) time I've used it, so I went with one layer. Should I go back and re-do the tape?

She's running with tubes, 26x1.5" tires, she's light, so something like 40-50 psi, I think.

Thanks,

Chris

ColonelJLloyd
05-16-2016, 02:35 PM
Is the blue tape different than the yellow? Does the yellow require two layers?

I believe it is, yes. I've used one pass of Stan's (yellow) on lots of road wheels with no issues (~80psi) with either latex or standard tubes. I recently built some wheels up with blue tape (both Pacenti and Velocity) and the tape certainly feels thinner. I went with two passes as recommended by folks here.

cp43
05-16-2016, 02:38 PM
I believe it is, yes. I've used one pass of Stan's (yellow) on lots of road wheels with no issues (~80psi) with either latex or standard tubes. I recently built some wheels up with blue tape (both Pacenti and Velocity) and the tape certainly feels thinner. I went with two passes as recommended by folks here.

Good to know, thanks.

Chris

makoti
05-16-2016, 03:08 PM
I am kind of superstitiously inclined towards the cloth velox tape ever since that first incident.

I always used Velox, but with these rims, I'd never get the tire on if I used it.

makoti
05-16-2016, 03:10 PM

Eric,

Can you weigh in on this? The current tape is blue, but the tape I bought to replace it with is the yellow. Still two passes?

ergott
05-16-2016, 03:28 PM
I've used Stan's Pacenti, Tesa, Velocity, and Orange Seal. The orange was the thinnest, enough that I pulled it off and never used it. Felt like garbage to me. Pacenti is the next thinnest. I have sent a lot of wheels out with it and all with two layers. It's cheap insurance even when one pass for low pressure tires could work. I had a roll of Velocity a while back, but honestly forgot what the stuff was like and I might have an early run so my comments won't be very useful.

The Stan's and Tesa are very close in thickness (both yellow, but not exactly the same). Even with this tape I always use two layers. Yes, I've seen punctures in one layer on a road wheel after many miles. I've never punctured a two layer setup and even have my first set of SL23s running with the original tape (first rims built up anywhere for that matter).

I say two layers no matter what. It's not the most expensive stuff you will use on a bike and you have some added protection. Who want's to be stranded on the side of the road for something silly like that?

PS - If you already have one layer, just clean it good and add the second layer with some overlap. If the original layer is in decent shape you don't need to pull it off first.

makoti
05-16-2016, 03:42 PM
I've used Stan's Pacenti, Tesa, Velocity, and Orange Seal. The orange was the thinnest, enough that I pulled it off and never used it. Felt like garbage to me. Pacenti is the next thinnest. I have sent a lot of wheels out with it and all with two layers. It's cheap insurance even when one pass for low pressure tires could work. I had a roll of Velocity a while back, but honestly forgot what the stuff was like and I might have an early run so my comments won't be very useful.

The Stan's and Tesa are very close in thickness (both yellow, but not exactly the same). Even with this tape I always use two layers. Yes, I've seen punctures in one layer on a road wheel after many miles. I've never punctured a two layer setup and even have my first set of SL23s running with the original tape (first rims built up anywhere for that matter).

I say two layers no matter what. It's not the most expensive stuff you will use on a bike and you have some added protection. Who want's to be stranded on the side of the road for something silly like that?

PS - If you already have one layer, just clean it good and add the second layer with some overlap. If the original layer is in decent shape you don't need to pull it off first.

Thanks! One more question...these are Pacenti SL23's. Getting tires on can be interesting sometimes. Does the extra layer seem to make it any harder? Just want to know what to expect.

sparky33
05-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Thanks! One more question...these are Pacenti SL23's. Getting tires on can be interesting sometimes. Does the extra layer seem to make it any harder? Just want to know what to expect.

1 layer doesn't make it easier in my experience, so it might as well be 2 layers for reasons already discussed.

keevon
05-16-2016, 04:12 PM
On a related note - one layer of black Gorilla tape doesn't hold up to road pressure over time. Anything over 100psi causes it to wear through at the spoke holes eventually.

Ralph
05-16-2016, 04:14 PM
I've always used 2 layers of Johnson's 1/2" bandage tape on rims that require a rim strip. Works great, and cheap. Is what a local wheel builder recommended.

Never had a flat with Ritchie rim strips either. Have had flats with other thinner rim strips...Continental, etc.

oldpotatoe
05-16-2016, 04:24 PM
I got a flat this weekend. The tape had failed & the tube was cut on either the spoke hole or the spoke itself. It was a blue, Stan's type rim tape, only done with one pass. I was using a latex tube, 100psi in the rear wheel. The tube showed marks from where almost all the other spoke holes were.
Questions: Would two passes on the tape have prevented this? Do latex tubes have issues with this kind of thing, meaning do they deform more, so put more pressure on the spoke area? How long should this type of rim tape last? These wheels are 3yrs old. I'll be pulling the other wheel apart to check that one out.
Oh, and then the valve core came out on the spare while I was trying to get the pump off the tube. Fun times.

Yes, using tubeless tape with a tube, gotta use 2 passes...as I'm sure the above posts I haven't read will say.....:beer: