PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still have Cinelli Spinacis?

stien
05-16-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm trying to solve the whole "clip ons to my Cervelo aero drop bars" conundrum and had a thought. Maybe Spinacis have a narrow enough clamp to fit on the bar next to the stem.

Stock image: http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/5/120315-largest_CerveloS5test12.jpg

Does anyone have some Spinacis laying around that they can measure the width of the handlebar clamp?

oldpotatoe
05-16-2016, 08:28 AM
I'm trying to solve the whole "clip ons to my Cervelo aero drop bars" conundrum and had a thought. Maybe Spinacis have a narrow enough clamp to fit on the bar next to the stem.

Stock image: http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/5/120315-largest_CerveloS5test12.jpg

Does anyone have some Spinacis laying around that they can measure the width of the handlebar clamp?

Regardless, they were for 26mm handlebar..that's 31.8, yes?

stien
05-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Regardless, they were for 26mm handlebar..that's 31.8, yes?

Gah. That's a problem.

Edit: But I did see that someone made some new clamps for it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_cycle_works/13894251695

Definitely looks too wide though.

mhespenheide
05-16-2016, 09:43 AM
I have a pair of ITM spinaci knock-offs. The clamp is ~1cm wide (for each side), but -- as OP points out -- is for 26.0mm bars.

I also have a pair of Deda "Clip Black" clamp-on aero bars that might come closer; they look like this: http://www.geartrade.com/item/470834/deda-elementi-clip-black-areobars-carbon-fiber but even at ~7-8mm, I worry that the clamp might be too wide for you.

stien
05-16-2016, 10:05 AM
I have a pair of ITM spinaci knock-offs. The clamp is ~1cm wide (for each side), but -- as OP points out -- is for 26.0mm bars.

I also have a pair of Deda "Clip Black" clamp-on aero bars that might come closer; they look like this: http://www.geartrade.com/item/470834/deda-elementi-clip-black-areobars-carbon-fiber but even at ~7-8mm, I worry that the clamp might be too wide for you.

If you could measure the Dedas I would be grateful. Even if I had to move my drop bar off center it might just fit.

shovelhd
05-16-2016, 11:27 AM
If you could measure the Dedas I would be grateful. Even if I had to move my drop bar off center it might just fit.

I have a set of oversize Cane Creek Speed Bars that I can measure for you. Looking at the pics, it's a tight fit. Let me know.

berserk87
05-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Stien - I think that you are gonna be left with too little room in that gap between the bar and stem. Do you have any measurements on the space there? Or the clamp with for the Spinachis?

stien
05-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Shovel, berserk, it looks like 1cm on either side. I'm fine with moving the bar off center to accommodate the Deda clamp. It should fit.

mhespenheide
05-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Alex,

My estimate from memory was, unfortunately, off. With a cheap set of calipers, the clamp is ~1.28cm.

I did buy that set off GearTrade, because I wanted some kind of Spnaci-like option for aerobars that wouldn't get in the way of the tops for normal road riding.

Are there any stems out there with a narrower clamp area?

shovelhd
05-16-2016, 09:35 PM
The Cane Creeks have an oval clamp that's 1cm at the narrow point and 2.5cm at the wide point. If I were you I'd start training in the IAB or the hood tops.

stien
05-17-2016, 06:11 AM
Well I have access to a milling machine so I may try to make my own set of stubby aero bars. We'll see how it goes/if I'm motivated enough to make my own clamps.

stien
05-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Also my LBS owner mentioned I might "create" a Scott drop-in by using extensions on the drops of the bar. Iunno, maybe, could work.

carpediemracing
05-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Unless you have insane amounts of reach I don't think the bar ends on the drops will work. I tried various iterations. I recently found this picture of one of my bikes. Note the Drop Ins and the purple (Control Tech) mtb bar ends on them. Problem is that my legs would hit the Drop Ins and the mtb bar ends were too close reach-wise so my elbows had to flare out past my knees. It was about as unaero as possible. It would have been better to ride the tops and keep my elbows tucked in.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13007238_10154153002418824_408686815763823854_n.jp g?oh=c86b1c13316b7f516be28c47dc8afb13&oe=57A4B6FE

stien
05-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Unless you have insane amounts of reach I don't think the bar ends on the drops will work. I tried various iterations. I recently found this picture of one of my bikes. Note the Drop Ins and the purple (Control Tech) mtb bar ends on them. Problem is that my legs would hit the Drop Ins and the mtb bar ends were too close reach-wise so my elbows had to flare out past my knees. It was about as unaero as possible. It would have been better to ride the tops and keep my elbows tucked in.

Thanks for the pic, pretty neat idea though. We've talked a bit about how I have the wrong size bike, need way more reach and less stack too. I've debated having Joe Wells build me something. Maybe I just need to turn my current Cervelo into a TT bike.

Or maybe I'll get a TT cockpit for this event. Iunno. Seems like a lot of $$ for one TT a year.

carpediemracing
05-17-2016, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the pic, pretty neat idea though. We've talked a bit about how I have the wrong size bike, need way more reach and less stack too. I've debated having Joe Wells build me something. Maybe I just need to turn my current Cervelo into a TT bike.

Or maybe I'll get a TT cockpit for this event. Iunno. Seems like a lot of $$ for one TT a year.

You should have a frame built.

I got my first frame from him thinking it'd be a "rough draft" and after honing the size over a couple frames (because adaptation etc) I'd get a "nice" bike. For me that'd be some carbon aero thing because that's me.

Then I got on the first Tsunami, which was oodles longer than my SystemSix, and I realized that fit really was everything. Aero shmero, at least at my size. Big wheels and I'm good. Just need to be trim(er) and have okay fitting clothing.

I'm on my 6th year on the current reach/lengths (had him build 2 frames) and just started experimenting with 2 cm more reach.

If you're doing just one TT... it might be worth it to simply change bars, retape, and hone your position. Heck you could get a Look Ergo stem, some TT base bars (or even old fashioned bull horns so you can use your regular levers), and do a jury-rigged TT set up on your road bike. You could do it on a cheap TT bike even, you just want fast wheels and a frame that allows you to get into a good position.

Fivethumbs
05-17-2016, 11:22 PM

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13007238_10154153002418824_408686815763823854_n.jp g?oh=c86b1c13316b7f516be28c47dc8afb13&oe=57A4B6FE

I don't know why but I really dig this photo.