PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ipod info for the ignorant

scrooge
06-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm thinking stepping into the year 2004 and buying an ipod (although I don't have a cell phone yet...), only I don't really know what to buy. I was thinking about buying a refurbished one online, maybe a 40g with clickwheel (I assume that means no color display). There seem to be quite a few ipod users around here, so any tips, comments, or recommendations?

Also-- a use question: can I sort my music into play lists (like a classical list, jazz list, hip hop etc), artist etc, or is it just in a big pile? Like I said, I know nothing. Help please!

Kevan
06-24-2006, 09:36 AM
iPods are a bit intimidating and their management does require some forethought. As a device the iPod's a pretty easy gadget to use. Yes, you can create your own playlists whether they are classified as: classical, jazz,and rock; they can also be: Mozart, Davis and Beatles. Playlists are entirely up to your whim.

The iPod is inexorably connected with your pc. What you need to establish is a place for your library of music. Depending how extensive it is you have to be prepared to house your music not only on your iPod, but on your pc as well. Well, to the extent you want to keep it for managing. So you need to determine how you’re going to manage the file space needed. This might not be an issue or you might want to buy and external hard drive to solely manage all your music. It’s up to you.

Also, how do you plan to use the iPod? Only using the earbuds? Want it for the car.. the home stereo? Depending how you want this device to be used you might be dropping more coin for cables and devises to make it that more enjoyable.

Lastly, recharging your iPod… Different models have different means and the better models offer/provide alternative means. I would recommend a outlet version as well as the USB. There’s one for the car too.

PaulE
06-24-2006, 09:47 AM
is a teenager to do all that for you, (although it doesn't look that hard to do)!

Kevan
06-24-2006, 09:55 AM
is a teenager to do all that for you, (although it doesn't look that hard to do)!

straight!

(I would have been lost without them.)

Funny, number 1 son, just this moment, steps from the bathroom after his shower, proclaiming, "Boy, did I need that!"

I responded, "We all did."

92degrees
06-24-2006, 09:59 AM
if you plan to ride with one you want a nano ATMO. the others are too "big."

nanos are sublime.

Blastinbob
06-24-2006, 10:13 AM
if you plan to ride with one you want a nano ATMO. the others are too "big."

nanos are sublime.
Agree! I have a Nano and a shuffle, while both work fine for riding I prefer the Nano on a armband for easy use of the controls.......and one Sony earbud.

mike p
06-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Agree! I have a Nano and a shuffle, while both work fine for riding I prefer the Nano on a armband for easy use of the controls.......and one Sony earbud.

I prefer the fullsize I-pod in back pocket. I have the nano and mabey it's just my large hands but I have a harder time using controls on nano.

Mike

SoCalSteve
06-24-2006, 10:26 AM
I agree (and I have big hands). Great for riding!

Also, if there is an Apple retail store near you, go there. They are very helpful and not on commission. Or, Best Buy, etc...

Good luck!

Steve

92degrees
06-24-2006, 10:37 AM
iSkin with an Xtreme Mac band. and cheap around the ear earbuds. and lots of tunes.

SponsorsWanted
06-24-2006, 10:57 AM
I worried too much about having my Nano on my arm, I didn't want to wreck and land on it, I bought an iPod 20 gig hard case(aluminum I think) and lined it with micro-fiber cloths for padding. I don't mess with the controls while I'm riding, I just design an on-the-go playlist based on the amount of time I'll be riding and the intensity of the ride. By the way, Creedence Clearwater Revival is the most excellent easy-day music ever, I think Fogerty was thinking about a long base ride when he was singing Susie-Q...

yeehawfactor
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
you guys should wait a few more months. right now ipods of 30gigs and higher run off of a harddrive. the rumor is that they are moving to flash memory, meaning no more spinning parts inside. this in turn means longer product life as well as much longer battery life. thus you can either buy a new generation one of save some money on one of the older ones....

scrooge
06-24-2006, 12:03 PM
So other than the possible upcoming change to flash memory, are there major differences between generations of ipods? I think the one I'm looking at may be a 4th generation (40 gig with click wheel?) but I'm not sure. Will it still be able to do the same thing, only be a little bigger?

As for the nano option--I only want to have to talk my wife into this once, so I want to get the most versetile one possible. I was thinking I could just carry the full size in my jersey pocket (I use a frame pump--a little bulk isn't a problem for me) when I use it on my long rides (on deserted country roads, not in the city, of course...).

Grant McLean
06-24-2006, 01:48 PM
So other than the possible upcoming change to flash memory, are there major differences between generations of ipods? I think the one I'm looking at may be a 4th generation (40 gig with click wheel?) but I'm not sure. Will it still be able to do the same thing, only be a little bigger?

the 40gig is a little fatter than the current 30gig, because it has 2x20 gig
hard drives inside. The current 30 gig is flatter, lighter, has better battery life,
has the bigger colour screen, and also plays video.
The current model also supports song lyrics, so you can sing along....

get the new one.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html

g

Ti Designs
06-24-2006, 02:15 PM
More questions...

I'm still stuck back in the 90's, listening to CDs. I do own a Mac Mini with Itunes, so it's just a short step to getting an Ipod. I use Itunes 'cause it's easy to get music, but it has it's down sides. When learning songs on piano with a CD I can expand the dynamic range of the signal and loop short segments. MP3 compression starts showing it's limitations when expanded and I still haven't figured out how to loop a small segment.

The other question is about the sound source. Ear buds fall short of expectations - yeh it's music but... Don't get me wrong, it's a million times better than those musical phones, but they still fall way short. I feel just a bit silly with a little tiny Ipod for a source for a rack mounted headphone amp. Any good portable soulutions?

scrooge
06-24-2006, 02:36 PM
the 40gig is a little fatter than the current 30gig, because it has 2x20 gig
hard drives inside. The current 30 gig is flatter, lighter, has better battery life,
has the bigger colour screen, and also plays video.
The current model also supports song lyrics, so you can sing along....

get the new one.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html

g
Yeah--but too much money for my budget. I'm thinking I'll do well to talk my wife into the $200 for the older one. There's no way she'll allow 300.

And really, what's the point of the video? (though the lyrics might be cool).

SoCalSteve
06-24-2006, 02:50 PM
you guys should wait a few more months. right now ipods of 30gigs and higher run off of a harddrive. the rumor is that they are moving to flash memory, meaning no more spinning parts inside. this in turn means longer product life as well as much longer battery life. thus you can either buy a new generation one of save some money on one of the older ones....

The Nano already runs on Flash Drive. And, I cant imagine you needing more than 4 gigs of music on any ride. That's about 3 days worth.

Steve

m_moses
06-25-2006, 02:57 AM
I bought a 60 gb video ipod . . . it's big but I didn't want to run out of memory. You could certainly put it in your jersey pocket to use while riding but I think it's too big for that . . . I usually have too much stuff back there already.

I also bought a set of Skullcandy earbuds to replace the Apple OEM phones because I wanted something that did a little better job of filtering ambient sound from my ears such as on a noisy bus . . . I would NOT recommend these while cycling as it would make it difficult to hear things you really need to hear.

Don't forget about podcasts . . . I work in Africa on 28-day rotations and really like that I can keep up with current events by downloading NPR podcasts. And that's just the tip of the iceberg . . . there is so much cool stuff available via podcast. (There's also a lot of junk too.)

Mick

scrooge
06-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Don't forget about podcasts . . . I work in Africa on 28-day rotations and really like that I can keep up with current events by downloading NPR podcasts. And that's just the tip of the iceberg . . . there is so much cool stuff available via podcast. (There's also a lot of junk too.)

Mick
NPR to go is part of the plan. I assume you can podcast on the nano?

yeehawfactor
06-25-2006, 08:19 AM
More questions...

I'm still stuck back in the 90's, listening to CDs. I do own a Mac Mini with Itunes, so it's just a short step to getting an Ipod. I use Itunes 'cause it's easy to get music, but it has it's down sides. When learning songs on piano with a CD I can expand the dynamic range of the signal and loop short segments. MP3 compression starts showing it's limitations when expanded and I still haven't figured out how to loop a small segment.

The other question is about the sound source. Ear buds fall short of expectations - yeh it's music but... Don't get me wrong, it's a million times better than those musical phones, but they still fall way short. I feel just a bit silly with a little tiny Ipod for a source for a rack mounted headphone amp. Any good portable soulutions?
at what bitrate do you rip? go here: edit>preferences>advanced>importing tab>setting>custom. 192kbps is considered the minimum for many people, but you can go up to 320kbps i believe. as far as looping a segment, you could always right click on the song, go to info, and select the starting and stopping time of the track. when you're done just set it back. i'm sure you could find some sort of program that would be better than this though.

also the bose ear buds are rad. $40, but rad. they also come with 3 different sized shims for different ears. atmo the only time white is un-pro is when it comes to ipod headphones.

SoCalSteve
06-25-2006, 09:07 AM
NPR to go is part of the plan. I assume you can podcast on the nano?

Yup