PDA

View Full Version : Merckx experts, curious about some mx leader details

bicycletricycle
05-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Like many people here, I have been casually interested in getting an mx leader. I think I am specifically interested in one of the late model re makes with the threadless fork. These seem to have been made in both molteni and Motorola paint.

Now for the questions

1. What kind of tire clearance do these anniversary mx leaders have?

2. Were any mx leader frames made with century geometry?

3. Is the mostly max tubing used in mx leaders basically the same over the years or did it evolve?

4. Anyone have a 62cm ish leader for sale?

Thanks for the help

lhuerta
05-15-2016, 11:19 PM
Don't expect much beyond an actual 25c, but it is not the width you need to worry about it is the profile height. Much depends on how high/low the rear brake bridge was brazed on to the frame and where the fork crown was drilled for brake center bolt. These are not consistent and likely depends on who was working the drill press or doing the brazing the day a frame was built, and how many Duvels they drank the night before

2. Were any mx leader frames made with century geometry?All production MXLeaders were Century geo, however, there are many former pro and amateur team bikes circulating, mostly on eBay (most often those with a # hanger) that are often custom geometry.[/B]

3. Is the mostly max tubing used in mx leaders basically the same over the years or did it evolve?
The MXL tubing didn't evolve but I have seen some frames out there with a re-oriented top tube (oval end vertical at head tube junction).

There are plenty of websites out there with volumes more info on these frames....
See: http://www.veloaficionado.com/blog/columbus-mini-max-tubing-a-helpful-guide

campy man
05-16-2016, 12:04 AM

Currently riding a Anniversary MX Leader with Vittoria Pave CG 27mm tires. Tires are a bit tight passing through the Campy calipers but easily fit inside the frame.

Fivethumbs
05-16-2016, 12:14 AM
I bought a 62cm Motorola MX Leader reissue in 2005. I did not like the threadless stem and the fact that it had no chrome. Someone back then said that the reissues were not made the same as the originals and that they did not ride the same. I had nothing to compare it to so I don't know how accurate that is but sold it hoping to one day find a 63cm original.

cat6
05-16-2016, 01:27 AM
I have a 62cm MXL and I ride it w/26c Grand Bois on Open Pros. It's the thinnest tire/rim combo I ride or have ridden on any bike in a long while and it's been kind of fun. Turns out that the 2mm didn't kill me when my tires touched dirt.

28c could work, maybe, depending on this or that, but I would not count on it when making the decision to buy the bike.

If you have any planned visits to your old stomping grounds let me know you can borrow my MXL for your stay, or just use it for a ride.

oldpotatoe
05-16-2016, 06:13 AM
I bought a 62cm Motorola MX Leader reissue in 2005. I did not like the threadless stem and the fact that it had no chrome. Someone back then said that the reissues were not made the same as the originals and that they did not ride the same. I had nothing to compare it to so I don't know how accurate that is but sold it hoping to one day find a 63cm original.

I have owned both and they ride the same, the re-issue and the older ones. Like brilliantly!!

I had the fork threaded locally and chrome, altho nice looking, isn't that great for a bike frame.

ultraman6970
05-16-2016, 07:02 AM
IMO for 1 inch steel you have to use threaded fork or the bike looks is affected.

Joxster
05-16-2016, 08:58 AM
Like many people here, I have been casually interested in getting an mx leader. I think I am specifically interested in one of the late model re makes with the threadless fork. These seem to have been made in both molteni and Motorola paint.

Now for the questions

2. Were any mx leader frames made with century geometry?

4. Anyone have a 62cm ish leader for sale?

Thanks for the help

I'm thinking of selling mine with Campag Record groupset, but it's a 47cm (about 52cm in real money)

fignon's barber
05-16-2016, 09:05 AM
I'm thinking of selling mine with Campag Record groupset, but it's a 47cm (about 52cm in real money)

That's a picture of a scandium Team SC.

merckx
05-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Appropriately, the MXL and the Team SC were the two best machines to exit the Belgian workshop. I had both frames and they were fabulous machines.

Joxster
05-16-2016, 09:32 AM
That's a picture of a scandium Team SC.

They did the leader in that Lotto/Domo Frittes paint job, which I've got in the garage :D:D

bicycletricycle
05-16-2016, 09:38 AM
looking around some more it looks like the re issues were only available in motorola.

thanks for all the info everybody.

Like many of us, my tires have been getting bigger over the years. Even those 26s are looking narrow to my eyes.

the prices on these have been getting up there.

Maybe a custom MAX frame instead.

hmmmmm

merckx
05-16-2016, 09:54 AM
My MXL was able to accomodate 27c Vittoria Cross tires. Remember the Master Cross and Tigre? I was able to shoehorn them in for D2R2 with no issues. Also, the re-issue MXL was available in Moltini paint too. Good luck in your search.

lhuerta
05-16-2016, 10:00 AM
looking around some more it looks like the re issues were only available in motorola.

Nope....the reissues came in Motorola, 7-eleven and Molteni colorways, and I have seen other non-team colorways as well. The distinguishing factors on the re-issues, compared to earlier production, were no chrome and threadless steer tube.

jmoore
05-16-2016, 10:04 AM
I've got a 60cm MXL from 1996 that is available. No MXL fork though. It's got a Della Santa fork.

ColonelJLloyd
05-16-2016, 10:24 AM
I've got a 60cm MXL from 1996 that is available. No MXL fork though. It's got a Della Santa fork.

Would love to see pics.

jmoore
05-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Would love to see pics.

Old for sale thread here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=113650&highlight=1996+Leader

parallelfish
05-16-2016, 03:28 PM
My MXL is a 58 cm Motorola reissue. Campy dual pivot front brake, and single pivot rear. Conti 4000s 25c tires on Mavic MA2 rims. Tons of clearance.

Brakes, not the frame or fork are the limiting factor here. The rear single pivot brake spring protrudes toward the tire. A different brake would provide even more clearance.

Don't have any larger tires on hand, so can't say how much larger I could fit.

jtbadge
12-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Anyone try to fit a set of 27c Challenge Paris-Roubaix (or the older Parigi-Roubaix)? I have extra space around my 25c Vittoria Open Paves and have been itching to try a bigger tire.