PDA

View Full Version : Slippery Saddle

jberenyi
05-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Would love some ideas on how to increase the coefficient of friction on my Aliante saddle. This new one is not like the older one. They changed material and its very slippery. Any ideas out there how to combat this issue? I wish 3M sold a Post It Note spray. That would be awesome.

macaroon
05-15-2016, 12:54 PM
cover it in coca cola.

Peter P.
05-15-2016, 01:03 PM
Perhaps with riding time the surface will lose its new slippery sheen. In that case all you need is patience.

Otherwise I'd suggest some 400 grit sandpaper. I doubt you'd ruin the look of the saddle with 400 grit. If that doesn't work, progress to increasingly coarser grades of sandpaper until the problem is solved.

charliedid
05-15-2016, 01:05 PM
Ride it.

CPP
05-15-2016, 01:05 PM
I don't know if you are open to another saddle but the Prologo CPC saddle is awesome. The CPC version comes in flat, semi round and round forms. Might be worth checking them out.

Birddog
05-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Personally, I like a saddle that is a little bit slippery, but that's me. Try a little Zen, "be one with the saddle".

PacNW2Ford
05-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Fi'zi:k makes or used to make extra grip saddle covers. Try Googling.

false_Aest
05-15-2016, 04:58 PM
I might try a little bit of felt or suede and some double stick tape.

tigoat
05-15-2016, 05:33 PM
Are you certain that the saddle is slippery and not your pants? I have had "aero" tights/bibs that felt slippery at first but then once my sweat started flowing the slippery and sliding feeling was gone. Don't clean your saddle with those spray-on cleaning products, just use soapy water instead. Also, I would use rubbing alcohol to remove any oily stuff off it first.

jmoore
05-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Random orbital sander and some 120grit will knock the shine off and give it some light tack. Aside from aesthetics, you aren't going to hurt those covers by sanding them.

Climb01742
05-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Have you tried the saddle with different bibs? Like different saddles, bib material can be more or less slippery too. I find Rapha bibs to be sorta 'sticky' while Castelli bib material is slippery. I'm with Birddog: I like slippery saddles and bibs; I like to move freely. But even on a slippery saddle, a tackier bib can help keep you planted. Maybe worth a shot?

Lewis Moon
05-16-2016, 10:36 AM
A couple of questions: Is this a TT bike? Is your saddle level?

This is probably not your situation, but I see a LOT of folks with the saddle tilted precariously nose down. They do this with the mistaken notion that it's the way to relieve saddle discomfort. Better to get a proper fit and a different saddle.

Also, too: Slick shorts are a thing, and what do you use to clean your saddle?

jberenyi
05-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Its not a TT bike. My new Giro shorts could be the problem. I used to use Castelli but their sizes and Pearl Izumi sizes changed a lot recently and I could not find a size to fit me. I'm 6' and weight 168lbs but nothing fit me like the Giro's. I do know this, the new Fizik Aliante saddle has a different type of covering than my older one. Even to the touch it is more slippery and my saddle is perfectly level when using a level...zero bubble that is. My fitting is perfect and has not changed in years. I may ditch the new saddle and put it on a less used bike...I don't know. Sometimes I wish certain things would just stay the way they are. Hell maybe I'll use hairspray on it or quickly wipe it with Acetone. I know many people who have de-glossed vinyl using this method.

Slow Eddie
05-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Look around on Amazon for some commercial pre-taping products from the athletic training world - Cramer Tuf Skin and the like. They're not permanent, don't stain or irritate skin, and might have just enough tackiness to last through a ride. Whatever residue is left over after I tape patients (I'm a PT) easily cleans up with soap and water.

jberenyi
05-17-2016, 07:49 AM
I have another idea. I'll take the saddle to work and grit blast it at low psi. Should work just fine.

tumbler
05-17-2016, 08:30 AM
Do like the pros and use grip tape. This works best if you also enjoy pain and don't have to buy your own shorts.

benb
05-17-2016, 08:38 AM
My new Giro shorts could be the problem. I used to use Castelli but their sizes and Pearl Izumi sizes changed a lot recently and I could not find a size to fit me. I'm 6' and weight 168lbs but nothing fit me like the Giro's. I do know this, the new Fizik Aliante saddle has a different type of covering than my older one. Even to the touch it is more slippery and my saddle is perfectly level when using a level...zero bubble that is. My fitting is perfect and has not changed in years.

You're built very close to me in size and weight, I'm 6'1 about 170. I used to have good luck with the Castello's and PIs years ago too and agree they have slowly biased towards heavier riders or something. If you haven't tried them already I've found some models Assos to fit very well for folks who have more of the cyclist build. The straps are maybe a little tight but they otherwise fit perfect. I forget but even Assos has something with some name like "American Fit" and you don't want that you want the race fit or whatever it's called.

I rode an Aliante for a bit earlier this year and had no trouble with it slipping on my Assos shorts.. the saddle didn't work for me, it was too wide. It's too bad they don't put the suede strip down the middle like the Arione.