PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Stem vs Aluminium

LukeUK
06-24-2006, 02:02 AM
I getting rid of the 140 Deda Newton stem that came with my bike. It also has the Newton handlebar. I don't race crits, but crank on group rides and do centurys. My friend said that a carbon stem, and for that matter handlebar too will give me a smoother ride. But will it effect my stiffness when I do decide to sprint? Or is the trade off much better for fatigue and comfort with the carbon. Any thoughts?

Oh, I'm also concerned about safety, I don't want my carbon stem all of a suddden breaking on me, or is that me just being paranoid?

Thanks,

-L

scottie
06-24-2006, 03:25 AM
I once had a bontrager xxx stem for a single ride, the bolts threaded whilst riding and it came undone(it was installed by the LBS on my new ottrott when I got it) I went back, refused to ever ride it again, replaced it with a thomson stem which was much stiffer and more stable and will NEVER go back... cheaper and heaps better, and made in the USA!!!! Now, if only rocket 7 would make stems I'd think about carbon, otherwise you can't go wrong with a thomson!
Cheers, :beer:
Scottie.

Dave
06-24-2006, 09:37 AM
I've used aluminum and carbon bars and can't say I've noticed any difference. Carbon stems don't make much sense, since most weigh around 160 grams, the same as a cheap aluminum Ritchey Comp and they are unlikely to be as stiff. Add to that a cost of 2-4 times that of most aluminum stems.

I've just switched two bikes over to Easton EC-90 OS bars and I really like the bend, but if the same bend was available in an aluminum version it wouldn't weigh any more and would cost 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the carbon bars.

I'm using the new Ritchey 4-axis stem, that only weighs around 110 grams. It's very sleek for an OS stem and seems plenty stiff.

I got lucky shopping on E-bay. I found the 4-axis stem for $70 and the EC-90 bars for $135 ($229 MSRP).

Fat Robert
06-24-2006, 09:46 AM
I think your pal has bought a bunch of marketing bullcrap. a 10psi difference in your tires will make more of a ride difference than whether your stem is AL or carbon. your newton stem is fine.

swalburn
06-24-2006, 09:55 AM
I have Easton EC90 carbon bars and I like them alot. I had a nice set of specialized aluminum bars, and I can tell no difference between them at all. They were both great. I had a carbon post and stem that always seems to come loose or there was some sort of problem. I put on a thomson x2 stem and thomson masterpice post, and I will never go back. They are light and stiff and I can't tell a lick of difference in ride quality compared to my previous set up. I see the ritchey wcs 4 axis stem for 55 bucks on ebay all the time. I think I will always use an aluminum stem and post. It is cheaper and in my opinion works much better.

SponsorsWanted
06-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I have some riding buddies who swear by those Bontrager Buzzkill bar ends...I've never used them but these guys know what they're talkin about.

swoop
06-24-2006, 10:35 AM
your friend with the carbon stem advice is on crack. somebody has been reading too many bicycling magazine reviews.
forged aluminum is really perfect for stems. lower tire pressure is really good to smooth out the ride.
friends that say stuff like, 'carbon stems really smooth out the ride' are cute.
oval makes a nice stem. so does deda, thomson too (lots of good ones out there) ... just stick with forged. don't look to your stem for smoothing out the ride... it's like saying your handlebar tape makes you climb better.

:banana:

atmo

Fixed
06-24-2006, 11:46 AM
bro just stay away from mag stems they are m.p. i.m.h.o.

swoop
06-24-2006, 01:25 PM
bro just stay away from mag stems they are m.p. i.m.h.o.

word.

Fat Robert
06-24-2006, 02:41 PM
it's like saying your handlebar tape makes you climb better.

atmo

thanks for ruining my world, shrink guy.

now I gotta pay for therapy

zap
06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Doubt one would notice a change in ride quality just by changing the stem.

Having used a Newton stem, I can tell you that stem is a noodle. Really, it's a piece of junk and doubt it would last long. Well, mine did break.

I replaced that stem with a Time Monolink carbon stem which is quite a bit stiffer than the Newton and a smidge lighter.

I have no experience with other carbon stems and doubt I would try any of the other carbon composite designs currently on the market.

If the style of the Monolink stem doesn't work for your rig, check out the Thomson X2. It's on my mtb and it's another great stem.

pdxmech13
06-24-2006, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=scottie]I once had a bontrager xxx stem for a single ride, the bolts threaded whilst riding and it came undone.

You should blame the
people that put it on
not the stem.

bolts don't just come
loose because they are
bored

and I would trust that
stem over a cnc'd
death trap any day.

LukeUK
06-24-2006, 11:53 PM
I have a TCR Advanced so the carbon is quite smooth. I ride with both DA weels with my clinchers at 120 psi. What would psi would you ride for a for a smoother ride without giving up too much rolling resistance?

-L

Sandy
06-25-2006, 12:06 AM
I think your pal has bought a bunch of marketing bullcrap. a 10psi difference in your tires will make more of a ride difference than whether your stem is AL or carbon. your newton stem is fine.

So will wider tires.

Sandy

Fat Robert
06-25-2006, 07:41 AM
So will wider tires.

Sandy

so will a wider butt