PDA

View Full Version : Adding a pump peg to a Vitus 979

drewellison
05-13-2016, 03:52 PM
So I pickup up this Vitus 979 (with complete Shimano 600 tricolor gruppo) yesterday. It has two H20 bottle mounts but no pump peg on the back of the head tube. I like to carry a frame fit pump. Here are the options for pump carriage I've been able to come up with.

1. Use a mini pump with water-bottle-mount bracket.
2. Mount a frame fit pump along the NDS seat stay.
3. CO2 cartridges - won't go there. There's just something unnatural about that.
4. Carry a mini pump in my jersey. Nah.
5. Put a zip tie around the head tube so the nubbins can be used as a peg. Functional but not too elegant.

But my preferred method at the moment is ...

6. JB Weld a 3/16" ball bearing (ground flat on one side) to the back of the head tube. This may look just fine as the head tube is silver.

Am I missing any options? Thoughts?

ergott
05-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Velcro strap to hold pump in place.

Tony T
05-13-2016, 04:01 PM
1. Use a mini pump with water-bottle-mount bracket.
Am I missing any options? Thoughts?

Don't think you're missing any options.
I would go with 1.

Lezyne Road Drive Hand Pump, Silver, Small (http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Road-Drive-Silver-Small/dp/B00IZ5UTRQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GkwYnOt-L._SL1200_.jpg

bicycletricycle
05-13-2016, 04:08 PM
A frame pump ca be used without a peg, just requires a strap of some kind, usually a Velcro looking thing from hand or inertia or something.

The JB weld would probably work, do you use a seat bag of some kind? Mini pumps can fit in those

donevwil
05-13-2016, 04:12 PM
If it fits (tire clearance, proper pump length with a good spring, etc) I prefer #2. Out of sight out of mind, haven't had an issue in over 20 years.

oddsaabs
05-13-2016, 05:10 PM
I've used a zip tie around the head tube before. The head of the zip tie works as a pump peg. Not particularly elegant but works just fine.

pdmtong
05-13-2016, 05:18 PM
option 7: frame pump on NDS seat stay

HenryA
05-13-2016, 05:22 PM
I like the JB weld idea, but I'd probably make a part that had a little pedestal or foot contoured to the tube. Sorta like a nice looking braze-on water bottle mount. Polished stainless steel or maybe aluminum.

R3awak3n
05-13-2016, 06:31 PM
yeah, no pump peg necessary. I actually prefer not to have a pump peg

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12905114_801935956606662_1341455932_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTIzNDk5MDgxOTg2OTU2NTc1Ng%3D%3D.2

the pump peg on my weigle is a bit too low and sometimes the pump wants to get out of it and go btw the pump peg and the tt.

I tossed all my mini pumps in the trash. Garbageeeee. There is nothing like a frame pump. So what it weights a little more but not only fits nicely on your bike frame, looks bad ass AND it actually works and gets your tire properly inflated without pumping until you want to punch yourself.

GParkes
05-13-2016, 06:46 PM
If you really want a peg, don't mess with the bearing. Go to Nova Cycle Supply website and order a couple. I used to braze a ball bearing on when building a frame with a peg so I never bought them, ergo none in my braze on drawers. If I had one I'd drop in mail to you. If you buy one you don't have to mess with grinding or filing a side down.

ultraman6970
05-13-2016, 06:56 PM
U cant use one of this ones, as we used to do back in the day??

http://www.foxgalleria.com/bici/vitus/01.jpg

fuzzalow
05-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Run a frame fit pump along the NDS seatstay if you have room for it. Vitus brings the seatstays together at the seat cluster behind the seatube, kinda fastback style, right? If so, running a pump this way won't work 'cos you will not have the angle down the seatstay to clear the rear tire. A straight edge will confirm how much room is available.

I've always run Zefals down the NDS seatstay.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DIppTv7lTGg/VE-QY2XbBeI/AAAAAAAAAt8/FjH-xwemkrUwmgxkHhsSGe6O16rI9BP3ACHM/s1024-no/zefal-seatstay.jpg

bart998
05-13-2016, 07:11 PM
It's aluminum... super easy. Just drill a small hole and put in a self-tapping screw.... or a threaded stud and a chrome cap-nut would look nice.

ultraman6970
05-13-2016, 07:40 PM
Honestly I dont know if that would work, 979 aluminum is not like modern aluminum, IMO you are risking a nice crack. Frames a nice and super smooth rides but the reason are smooth is not because the tubes a stupidly stiff.

If the dude needs a peg I would glue it.

GParkes
05-14-2016, 06:53 AM
http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/PUMP-PEGS/

Here ya go

EricEstlund
05-14-2016, 06:59 AM
KISS- just use the strap that comes with most frame pumps. I like pegs as an option when building the bike, but no need to retro fit or (gasp) glue on a ball.

drewellison
05-15-2016, 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. Since I have one or two pumps I swap between multiple bikes, I like using a peg and not a strap. Yeah, I know a strap would take an extra 5 seconds, but a peg is so easy and I've never had any issues with losing a pump, so I'm going to stick with the peg idea.

I do have a couple of mini pumps on my modern bikes which cannot accommodate a frame pump. I know from experience that frame pumps work much better.

The winning idea is getting a peg from Nova and JB Welding it on. :beer:

Thanks!
Drew

peanutgallery
05-15-2016, 07:34 AM
Old hands would wind a zip tie around the head tube and cut it off to go rassin'. The clasp provides a nice little perch for the old zefels

Aang
05-15-2016, 08:07 AM

GParkes
05-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. Since I have one or two pumps I swap between multiple bikes, I like using a peg and not a strap. Yeah, I know a strap would take an extra 5 seconds, but a peg is so easy and I've never had any issues with losing a pump, so I'm going to stick with the peg idea.

I do have a couple of mini pumps on my modern bikes which cannot accommodate a frame pump. I know from experience that frame pumps work much better.

The winning idea is getting a peg from Nova and JB Welding it on. :beer:

Thanks!
Drew

That's the first thing I've one in a while Drew!! Order a few of the pegs just in case. As they are bare metal, puts some touch up paint or nail polish on ith to keep from corroding.

chiasticon
05-15-2016, 07:22 PM
what size bike? smaller bikes you can easily get away with no pump peg. taller bikes, not so much. I honestly don't even use a strap with mine because the bikes I use it with are small enough and the fit tight enough that it doesn't move. also, some pumps have a stronger spring than others. I've taken my cx bike on gravel roads and single track multiple times and never had the pump budge. but again...depends on pump and bike fit.

T-Crush
05-16-2016, 10:27 AM
I also run a strap (Jandd makes one with velcro and an integrated foam pad) ever since a buddy had his pump slip out of the rear triangle and trash his rear Ksyrium.

quauhnahuac
05-16-2016, 10:48 AM
I don't use a peg with my silca pump and have not had any issues, but if you want a peg you should get the peg linked above (not a ball bearing) and jb weld. You can remove it later if it doesn't work out for you.

velcro straps take a little longer to remove I guess, but the biggest drawback is that they make bikes look really ghetto, which is the same drawback you get with adding a zip tie around your head tube or one of those strap on pump pegs that goes around the top tube. if you're going to use a top tube frame pump, do it right and don't use velcro.

drewellison
05-16-2016, 01:32 PM
what size bike? smaller bikes you can easily get away with no pump peg. taller bikes, not so much. I honestly don't even use a strap with mine because the bikes I use it with are small enough and the fit tight enough that it doesn't move. also, some pumps have a stronger spring than others. I've taken my cx bike on gravel roads and single track multiple times and never had the pump budge. but again...depends on pump and bike fit.

It's a 59cm, so I'll need something to hold the pump behind the head tube.

cnighbor1
05-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Just try mounting the pump clip Campagnolo made on the top tube facing down might work
I have the same but it is a pimp peg fitting not a umbrella head you could have it if needed
Being a aluminum frame with no paint you could drill head tube and screw in a self tapping SS screw with a head diameter that would fit hole in end of the pump

cnighbor1
05-16-2016, 03:00 PM

they work use them

Satellite
05-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Run a frame fit pump along the NDS seatstay if you have room for it. Vitus brings the seatstays together at the seat cluster behind the seatube, kinda fastback style, right? If so, running a pump this way won't work 'cos you will not have the angle down the seatstay to clear the rear tire. A straight edge will confirm how much room is available.

I've always run Zefals down the NDS seatstay.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DIppTv7lTGg/VE-QY2XbBeI/AAAAAAAAAt8/FjH-xwemkrUwmgxkHhsSGe6O16rI9BP3ACHM/s1024-no/zefal-seatstay.jpg

Fuzzalow,

What Zefals pump is that on the C40/C50? I have been toying with running my pump the same way on the C50.

I have been using this method I absolutely love the Road Morph (the only way it could be better is on the NDS Chainstay):