PDA

View Full Version : Freeway riding

onekgguy
06-24-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm from Minnesota where it is illegal to ride on the freeway. What are the laws in other parts of the country? I've seen cyclists on the freeway in other states and wondered if they were legal in doing so. Depending on where you're riding I can think of many areas where it would be reasonably safe...much safer than some of the two lane roads I ride where there's no shoulder.

Kevin

ti_boi
06-24-2006, 12:08 AM
...he rode the freeway in Breaking Away...that was in Indiana. But I think it is illegal there and everywhere else.....good scene tho.

Lanternrouge
06-24-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm from Minnesota where it is illegal to ride on the freeway. What are the laws in other parts of the country? I've seen cyclists on the freeway in other states and wondered if they were legal in doing so. Depending on where you're riding I can think of many areas where it would be reasonably safe...much safer than some of the two lane roads I ride where there's no shoulder.

Kevin

In California it is generally illegal, but there are some places where it is for relatively short stretches, mainly where there is no alternative route. I know of at least one place in Oregon where it is, or at least used to be, legal to ride on Interstate 5 for a stretch down Mount Ashland.

Orin
06-24-2006, 12:50 AM
It's legal to ride on the shoulder of a lot of rural freeways in WA. In fact, the Redmond Cycling Club sponsors a ride, "Cannonball" which runs from Seattle to Spokane, almost entirely on the shoulder of I-90.

Cannonball (http://www.redmondcyclingclub.org/Cannonball/index.html)

Orin.

vaxn8r
06-24-2006, 02:07 AM
The first part of STP used to be on the 5 Fwy which was closed to traffic. Cool!

In Oregon you can ride on the Interstate legally. But why anyone would is beyond me with a plethora of country roads. Feel safer on the fwy with semi's going by 4 feet away at 75mph? I don't think so.

In Breaking Away I do not think that was an Interstate. It loooked like a State Route, which is legal to ride on.

Ray
06-24-2006, 04:28 AM
There are a LOT of remote areas in the western US where it's legal to ride on the freeway shoulder. Has to do with availability of alternate routes, as Lanternrouge mentioned. It's just tough to get from point A to point B in a lot of places otherwise. That said, I've ridden on freeway twice and similar non-freeway highways a number of times and its strictly a matter of last resort for me. I'd much rather ride on a curvy tight little road where the cars are way too close to me but aren't going all that fast than to be within 10 feet of a bunch of semis blowing by at 75-80. Scares the beejeezus out of me.

-Ray

CalfeeFly
06-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Out west the rules for Interstate use by bicycles is different. Bicycles are allowed. The rule makers position is that since the Interstate is often the only way from A to B then non powered vehicles are ok. I believe in some instances they replaced what was the state route that covered the same ground.

I don't believe that is I-70 either in Breaking Away. I-70 isn't that nice of a road around there. Indiana state routes can have great expansive shoulders just like that road. My son goes to school near where they filmed the movie and I rode a very similar road for about 100 miles one day. (I started out on a 30 mile ride before leaving for home.) Once you acclimate to the sound of trucks going by it is really nice riding. You have your own lane; free of glass and other debris; great surface; and as safe as you will get anywhere. There is about a foot or two, rumble strips and then about 8 or 9 feet of lane ride. When the locals told me it was the road to ride I thought they were nuts. Then I tried it and loved it. :bike: I'll take it over a back road where you never know when a pick-up truck will crest a hill behind you never expecting to see a bike and not having the reaction time and or room to miss you.

mike p
06-24-2006, 09:55 AM
The question is why the hell would anybody want to ride on a freeway.

Mike

PaulE
06-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I ever saw cyclists on a freeway was a group of 5 or 6 in Colorado, when I was in a car being driven from Vail to the Eagle County airport. This was an interstate highway, maybe I-70, I don't know, but a divided, 4 lane, limited access highway. It was late Feb, early March, the roads were clear, and they were all on the shoulder which was wide and paved. And it was going up a mountain when we passed them, as I recall. Around here in NY/NJ, it is illegal and would not be safe even if it was.

wanderingwheel
06-24-2006, 10:22 AM
I've ridden on freeways many times in California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico. Actually, I don't think it's that bad. The shoulders are generally very wide and if they are free of debris and improperly placed rumble strips, you are a good distance from the traffic. Most freeways that I have ridden on have a rumble strip near the white line which seperates you from the rest of the traffic.

In the west, including California, it is generally legal to ride (and walk) on the freeways except in urban areas. I believe close to half of all California freeway miles are open to bicycles, and about 80-90% in the rest of the west.

djg
06-24-2006, 01:57 PM
...he rode the freeway in Breaking Away...that was in Indiana. But I think it is illegal there and everywhere else.....good scene tho.

I got pulled over for that. Years ago, I lived on the south side of Chicago. In those days, my most frequent training partner was a buddy of mine named Kevin. Good rider, good guy, occasionally oblivious to where we were going (like we needed to cut through the old Cabrini Green housing project, on road bikes, in bike clothes, and ... um, it's us, in the '80s).

Sometimes we'd ride down into Indiana. Kevin spots a new stretch of interstate closed to cars--champagne asphault--and down the ramp he goes. I followed, with my usual "here we go again." We flew for a little while, just the two of us. Then came company and the flashing light treatment. As of the mid '80s, according to the trooper, there were defninitely stretches of highway down there that were closed to bikes.

Avispa
06-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Tailwinds told me that it is now legal to ride in the freeways in Colorado. Last Summer and Winter, I saw a few cyclists, including Euro Pros, riding on I-70.

pbbob
06-24-2006, 02:42 PM
got ticketed once for riding a couple mile section on a freeway when I knew I could go another route.
that was dumb, beating the rap in court [no fines, no court costs] was pretty cool.

onekgguy
06-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Mike, I ride some roads (http://www.kevinandtammy.net/Ride%20Photos/20_north_of_Cotton_and_bonking.jpg) in MN which aren't technically freeways but they're posted at 65 mph with a rumble strip and approximately an 8 foot shoulder...pretty much the same as a freeway. It's not bad biking actually. You do have to know what you're doing in and around on/off ramps.

Kevin

toaster
06-24-2006, 08:06 PM
I did some looking into California vehicle code and couldn't find where it's prohibited. I think that it's legal unless otherwise posted and you'll see signs that specifically prohibit pedestrian, bicycle, and motorized bicycle on some highways or freeways.

However, the definition of freeway is different than what some people might think according to California Vehicle Code:

"Freeway" is a highway in respect to which the owners of abutting lands have no right or easement of access to or from their abutting lands or in respect to which such owners have only limited or restricted right or easement of access.

Around here, we ride U.S. 101 in some spots and then there are signs telling bicyclists to exit freeway at certain points. So, freeways aren't about speed limits, they're about right of easement which is different from a highway where you'll see road intersections and entrances to private property.

fstrthnu
06-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Dave Z did it in France or Switzerland...I cant remember.... Whatever. He got arrested. I laughed My *** off.

Fstrthnu

Saxon
06-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I know it's illegal to ride on Highway 50 in CA near El Dorado Hills, cause the Highway Patrolman that gave me a ticket asked me "What are you doing on my freeway, son?". I opened my road map that showed a cut-through where one didn't exist, but he didn't care. It was either take the freeway or get stuck out in the boondocks in the dark. Bombing down an epic freeway hill near Bass Lake road was an experience but (as mentioned above) those Semi trucks really throw you around :)

obtuse
06-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Dave Z did it in France or Switzerland...I cant remember.... Whatever. He got arrested. I laughed My *** off.

Fstrthnu

yeah- but its probably safer than swearing in italian to an off duty dedham cop.

obtuse

JasonH
06-25-2006, 12:17 AM
The road in Breaking Away was definitely not I-70, that hits Indy, but doesn't go near B-town. It was more likely SR37.

I don't know the laws, but I would hope that the roads which we're not allowed on are posted. All of the Interstate on-ramps here explicitly state non-motorized traffic, farm equipment etc. are forbidden.

Avispa
06-25-2006, 01:00 AM

Unfortunatelly, It's the ONLY place with decent huge shoulders, where cars hardly even go into! Not like regular roads.... I'd hate to ride on the shoulders of an LA freeway, however, I think I would get shot when I pass all the cars stuck in traffic! :D :D

ada@prorider.or
06-25-2006, 06:11 AM
i saw during crossing USA lots of people riding interstate´s
i alsways wonder ot thhat was allowed.

lots see on route 66

and on interstates
from arizona utah texas new mexico colorada
majova dessert

probely becuase there where no other roads to ride on

in europa its absolutely forbidden to ride on the highway b with a bike

you must be able to ride and allowed to ride 80 km /h
otherwise you get a big ticket

Tailwinds
06-25-2006, 07:24 AM
It is legal to ride on most stretches of interstate in CO. You HAVE to ride on I-70 to get to Loveland Pass from the east. I was scared beforehand the first time I did it, but I had no problems once actually on it... super-wide shoulder and rumble strips between the cars and us, too. Not my favorite road to ride on, no :no: -- but what's really fun is coming back where you can maintain 45-60 mph if you want to... makes the speed differential between you and the cars decrease significantly. :D

Birddog
06-25-2006, 02:49 PM
You HAVE to ride on I-70 to get to Loveland Pass from the east.

One time a few years back while doing the TBP the traffic on I70 was almost stopped. The 2,000 or so cyclists were passing the cars and trucks. It was really kinda funny. A lot of the people had their windows down and were cheering all the riders. That really helped some because that is one bleak, ugly stretch of road as you grind your way to Loveland.

Birddog

mike p
06-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Unfortunatelly, It's the ONLY place with decent huge shoulders, where cars hardly even go into! Not like regular roads.... I'd hate to ride on the shoulders of an LA freeway, however, I think I would get shot when I pass all the cars stuck in traffic! :D :D

I guess I don't know how lucky I've got it in upstate NY. Plenty of great back roads with hardly any cars at all. We can ride for hours at a time and maybee see a half doz cars. Plus the countryside is out of this world.

Mike

H.Frank Beshear
06-25-2006, 04:03 PM
To get into Dubuque from Wisconsin on TOMRV we get to ride on the interstate across the mississippi river. That can be fun it's a real nice downhill.