PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here cycle in Rutherford County, NC?

Ralph
05-13-2016, 11:59 AM
If you were going to buy a house in that county, and didn't have to concern yourself with proximity to work or schools......where would you live so you could ride relatively safely from your driveway?

Spent last weekend in a Holiday Inn Express in Forest City.....didn't figure that area was best area. Did see some cyclists around Rutherfordton and Lake Lure.

gmcampy
05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
If you were going to buy a house in that county, and didn't have to concern yourself with proximity to work or schools......where would you live so you could ride relatively safely from your driveway?

Spent last weekend in a Holiday Inn Express in Forest City.....didn't figure that area was best area. Did see some cyclists around Rutherfordton and Lake Lure.

Gaffney, SC ;)

rnhood
05-13-2016, 12:33 PM
There are some very nice rural areas in Rutherford County but, I think the best riding will be to the NW towards Lake Lure & beyond. If you don't mind living a little outside R. county, the areas around Tryon and especially Saluda offer out-of-your-driveway cycling, and some of the better routes in the entire state. Its a very friendly cycling area.

MrCannonCam
05-13-2016, 08:13 PM
The corridor from Lake Lure to Asheville and the surrounding Asheville/Brevard area is a very big cycling area. Agree with the post above as well though, Hincapie Gran Fondo goes through part of Tryon? or Saluda? It's all great riding country

Lovetoclimb
05-13-2016, 09:22 PM
In short, as far west as possible in WNC without going too far West....

If you can get into Buncombe county that is best, Madison county would be my 2nd vote, Transylvania 3rd. Of course I have only lived in and around the Asheville NC area for a few years now but I would never personally invest in property outside of those places. Then again the real estate bubble in Asheville is overdue for a burst so there is that....

As for Rutherford county, I have ridden a whole lot down by Lake Lure and up to Marion on connecting roads, as well as down near Mill Spring and Columbus NC. Lots of good riding but not terribly mountainous, more sharp and rolling hills. Though with that said 2 of the more remarkable road climbs and some pretty nasty enduro biking are on the Blue Ridge escarpment in the Saluda/Tryon NC area not far removed from the Western edge of Rutherford county.

Ralph
05-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Just giving some thought to moving to that area. Being closer to some family business interests. Not so much concerned with hills VS flat riding as I am with the safety and convenience of riding. Some roads there are just paved dirt roads, and barely wide enough for a car. Here I can ride as far as I want....right out of my driveway. However....cycling not everything. Housing dirt cheap around there.

I guess I'm spoiled by riding around central Florida. 14' wide paved trails going out to the country where I can ride on wide lightly traveled roads, etc. With a huge and growing cycling culture, supportive local government, and year around cycling weather. Don't think Rutherford County, NC, there yet. So appreciate all of your views.

rePhil
05-14-2016, 01:52 PM
I've been reading your posts for a while. I am surprised, maybe even shocked, that you are even thinking about moving.

Just giving some thought to moving to that area. Being closer to some family business interests. Not so much concerned with hills VS flat riding as I am with the safety and convenience of riding. Some roads there are just paved dirt roads, and barely wide enough for a car. Here I can ride as far as I want....right out of my driveway. However....cycling not everything. Housing dirt cheap around there.

I guess I'm spoiled by riding around central Florida. 14' wide paved trails going out to the country where I can ride on wide lightly traveled roads, etc. With a huge and growing cycling culture, supportive local government, and year around cycling weather. Don't think Rutherford County, NC, there yet. So appreciate all of your views.

Ralph
05-14-2016, 02:44 PM
I've been reading your posts for a while. I am surprised, maybe even shocked, that you are even thinking about moving.

Got a farm there with a solar plant on it (owned jointly with two brothers). Timber production, hay cutting, etc. Could use some looking after. Doing my best not to move. Love Florida. Not too impressed with living in Rutherford County, NC. Been everywhere in USA....some places in winter and summer. While there are some places in USA I like better for 2-3 months in summer.....there is no place I like better than Central Florida on a 12 month basis (can always leave in summer).

rePhil
05-14-2016, 03:07 PM
It sounds like you need to keep your place here just in case. Best wishes to you.

Got a farm there with a solar plant on it. Timber production, hay cutting, etc. Could use some looking after. Doing my best not to move. Love Florida. Not too impressed with living in Rutherford County, NC.