PDA

View Full Version : MOAB - bike rentals

AngryScientist
05-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Alright team. The old threads are old. I've got a single day free in Utah next week. I feel like seeing MOAB is the right thing to do. I'm an absolute novice mountain biker. Rent a road bike, MTB, or go hiking?

sjbraun
05-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Moab is not novice mountain bike territory. Really nice road riding along the river and the ride into Arches National Park are fantastic.

DRietz
05-13-2016, 11:05 AM
Moab is not novice mountain bike territory. Really nice road riding along the river and the ride into Arches National Park are fantastic.

Agreed. If you rent a mountain bike, prepare to go on that hike that you mentioned. The stuff out there is so technical that if you're without somebody experienced to help you through sections, you'll end up walking a lot of them.

12snap
05-13-2016, 11:11 AM
The stuff out there is so technical that if you're without somebody experienced to help you through sections, you'll end up walking a lot of them.

This is not necessarily true. The Moab Brand trails and Klondike Bluffs areas, for example, have trails that most would not consider technical.

gdw
05-13-2016, 11:22 AM
+1 There are some pretty easy trails in the area for beginners...Klondick Bluff, Monitor and Merrimac, Hurrah Pass, Gemini Bridges, etc. Check out some of the guide books and ask the folks at the bike shop where you rent for advice.

echelon_john
05-13-2016, 11:24 AM
If you're a competent East Coast mountain biker, there are plenty of opportunities to have fun in Moab. Don't be intimidated.

Chile Pepper is a great source for rental bikes; pretty high end stuff available. They are also a pickup point for the shuttle if you want to do the Whole Enchilada, which I recommend highly. It's a "downhill" run of ~28 miles, but you'll still do plenty of work, and the sights are amazing. You get shuttled to the top from town, then ride down.

The Slickrock trail is also fun, but if you have a whole day, I would recommend the Whole Enchilada. Just take your time and have fun with it; bring plenty of water and a camera. ; )

Have fun!

Edit: If you're a true novice, then go slick rock...or just do part of the Whole Ench and catch a dirt road home. Should've read more closely!

gdw
05-13-2016, 11:29 AM
He's a novice. The Whole Enchilada and Slick Rock are not for beginners......unless you really dislike them.

AngryScientist
05-13-2016, 11:45 AM
this is great information, thanks guys!

Ralph
05-13-2016, 11:51 AM
He's a novice. The Whole Enchilada and Slick Rock are not for beginners......unless you really dislike them.

Agree....and take plenty of water. By mid summer......you can die in the heat without water.

I didn't ask question before I went the first time....drove in there on July 3......and it was 115 degrees. Big mistake.

Mistake # 2.....had always heard about the Slick Rock Trail.....figured I would go ride it.....(I'm not an experienced Mtn Biker). The trail mostly hops from one boulder to another. Looking it over....it scared the sh.. out of me. So I did the practice loop. Actually mostly walked it. And could not carry enough water to make it 2 miles, it was so hot.

Would just get a road bike from Chille Pepper (or similar), and do a road ride.

BTW....Last time I went....there was a terrific visitor center in middle of town....that had all the info you might need. Probably has a web site. And....don't press your jeans for night wear....you'll be over dressed.

http://www.discovermoab.com/visitorcenter.htm

Ralph
05-13-2016, 12:04 PM
http://www.discovermoab.com/moab_canyon.htm

Moab Pathway...for my next trip. New! Keeps you off the main highway. Takes you to safe riding in the National Parks. Can do a hundred miles or so if you wish....safely.

AngryScientist
05-13-2016, 12:06 PM
that looks like the ticket Ralph! i probably want to avoid breaking myself on a mtb!

staggerwing
05-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Were there two summers back and rented from Chili Pepper (great shop, very helpful). Picked them up in the afternoon, along with a clip-on bike carrier, and spent the evening doing some of the beginner stuff up at Dead Horse State Park, and the next day did a couple of the easier trails at the Moab Brand Trails area.

As a MTB noob, I enjoyed the Dead Horse State Park stuff a little better, but it was also cooler in the evening and the light was wonderful. Got quite hot by noon at the Moab Brand area, and we didn't have enough H2O. It is a downhill run back into town from Moab Brand and on a paved trail for a good portion.

I also made the noob mistake, at least for Moab, of having them put SPD pedals on. Flats would have made more sense as there were a couple of points where I was unable to make a full commitment, and had to pull some unclip gymnastics as the bike quickly slowed to zero velocity. Suggest full gloves too.

djg21
05-13-2016, 12:39 PM

I'd say rent an MTB and go to the Slickrock Trail. It's much like riding on the road with a lot more up and down. It's not overly-technical. Just take your time and enjoy yourself. There is no shame in walking if you find yourself in a situation in which you aren't comfortable. The Slick Rock trail is what made Moab a mountain bike Mecca. (There is a lot of great riding on and off-road though).

wombatspeed
05-13-2016, 12:56 PM
We are in Moab/Fruita every year for a week in March. As a mountain biker I always bring mountain bikes. Just LOTS of great riding.

In the last few years they built a lot of new singletrack. Those make Moab a much nicer destination for MTB novices than it used to be. Scenically, Dead Horse Point is fantastic. As are is the new Horsethief trail system (at the top of the Mag7 trail). Both are good (and the latter is great) for camping, too. Also, easy to do side trips to Canyonlands NP post riding...

For an overview of the Moab MTB trail systems: http://www.guestguidepublications.com/moab-maps/moab-bike-maps/

Having said that, if you are feeling a bit shy about your MTB riding, get a road bike and do the 'Lasal Mountain loop'. 62miles of amazing riding (and very different if you haven't ridden much in SW desert country). Google the loop. You will want to do it!!!

zmudshark
05-13-2016, 01:08 PM
If you decide to ride road, along with the river route and Arches, I'd suggest taking the new path out to Hwy 313, and ride toward Canyonlands or Dead Horse Park. I parked at the beginning of the 313 a few years ago(before the path was built) and rode towards Canyonlands until the snow started, in mid-May :eek:

As mentioned, whatever you decide to do, bring lots of water. Even though the weather looks comfortable, you dehydrate quickly.

buddybikes
05-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Remember there were some outfits that would drop you off then just have to do 1 way back to town.

gdw
05-13-2016, 01:28 PM
+1 on the water. Take a full 100 oz Camelbak with you whether you're riding the road or trails. We've rescued more than a few people over the years who thought 2 water bottles were adequate.

PS - Poison Spider has an excellent free brochure with info on the popular local road rides.

rccardr
05-13-2016, 01:35 PM
+1 on Poison Spider. I'm a total MTB noob and they provided me with a good Trek rental bike and a day of 1-on-1 instruction with an experienced teacher in the practice loop before I did the 3 day White Rim ride with some much more experienced riders.

May is not outrageously hot compared to full summer, but a Camelbak is definitely needed.

dustyrider
05-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Having said that, if you are feeling a bit shy about your MTB riding, get a road bike and do the 'Lasal Mountain loop'. 62miles of amazing riding (and very different if you haven't ridden much in SW desert country). Google the loop. You will want to do it!!!

If I wanted, I could go to Moab today...and I'd ride the La Sal Loop. We're hitting 80 today! The elevation would be nice.You could also look into some larger volume tires(stoner bike) and shorten the ride up a just bit by hitting Sand Flats road. Then you would still have time to charge Dead Horse. You can even park at the base of 313 to save the legs just a bit... Arches is a much better hiking destination in my opinion. In the off season it's wonderful on bikes. Still just scratching the surface if you stay on the roads.

When it comes to MTBing there are all kinds of levels to ride. Even the super gnar has higher levels of gnar. It's really just the unforgiving terrain that makes things seem so difficult. At least that's what my MTB blood has convinced me of. Check Trail Forks (http://www.trailforks.com/) for off road. Talk honestly to someone at Poison Spider about your abilities and they'll set you up!

AngryScientist
05-13-2016, 02:17 PM
this is awesome. just found out about this last minute trip today and i've already got a bunch of ideas. just wish i had some more time on my hands. dont we all though i guess.

you're all great pals for all of the help.

malcolm
05-13-2016, 03:10 PM
Angry, I took my son to Moab a couple years ago and he isn't a cyclist at all nor a hiker.

If you are not opposed to motorized vehicles there are several places that have guided atv tours we rented polaris rzrs and did a guided tour. They will also rent them guide free and give you maps. You can drive the rzrs on the road in moab so getting to the trails is easy. It was a blast.

Arches and several other parks are nearby and lots of short hikes are avail as well. As previously mentioned heat can be a factor so prepare adequately.

You'll love Moab. I can't wait to go back. Moab brewery has good food and some decent beers. Plenty Colorado imports can be had as well.

morrisericd
05-13-2016, 04:48 PM
I was just there last weekend. I did the Moab Gran Fondo on Saturday and the Whole Enchilada (well- most of it, there was a lot of snow) Sunday. Do not do the Whole Enchilada unless you are an experienced mountain biker. Check out the course for the Gran Fondo on their website. It's about 60 miles and winds you through the La Sal Mountains. Lot's of climbing (I think it was 5,500 VF) but the views are incredible. The pavement wasn't the best up top but still worth the trip. If you do mountain bike go to Poison Spider and ask them where to go. Slickrock is an experience and right in town. Hamasa Back to Captain Ahab is really fun - Ahab is kind of scary but there are other ways down and it's close to town. Klondike and the Mag 7 trails are good but 20-30 minutes outside of town. If it were me I'd probably do the Gran Fondo.

Have fun. Visit the rock shop at the end of town for great family gifts.

Eat a steak at Jeffery's Steak House.

Eat breakfast at the Eklecticafé

Bostic
05-13-2016, 04:53 PM
I can't wait to go back either after my wife and I visited during July in 2014. I'm hoping to bring a tandem next time for the climb up to Arches as well as over to Dead Horse. Such beautiful scenery.

Ken Robb
05-13-2016, 05:18 PM
If you have just one day to ride will you be near enough to Moab to get there and back to wherever you need to be?

Fuzzy2964
05-13-2016, 08:18 PM
I rode the Moab Gran Fondo on Saturday also - I’ll second riding that route if you want to stick with roads instead of trails. It was beautiful!

VT Skier
05-14-2016, 06:52 AM
I was just there with my wife, who is a beginning mountain biker. You can easily rode Moab Brands, Klondike and other areas without fear. I saw very young children out with their parents. Other great areas for beginners include Dead Horse Point S.P. (scenic), Navajo Rocks, and Klonzo.

We rented from Chili Pepper (702 S Main St; (435) 259-4688), but Poison Spider is also a good shop. I loved Moab Classic Bike (69 Center St), where I met Pierre Chastain, the custom builder behind Blaze Bicycles. He sells an amazing bike bell, and the shop is plot in half with a coffee shop.

We hired MMTBI (Moab Mountain Bike Instruction) for my wife, who was much more comfortable, and happier, on the trails thanks to a great young (female) instructor.

If you're a B&B guy, and I know most aren't, we stayed at a great place south east of town in a nice, quiet neighborhood. Nice rooms (we were in the Turtle Room), terrific organic breakfasts and great coffee. Info below.

If you're not into B&B, there are plenty of chain motels/hotels.

If you have a car, I'd recommend driving up (or down) 128, which has spectacular views. Take a big hydration pack. I have never been as hot as I was there, and I lived in Nevada for years.

George Weil
Red Moon Lodge
2950 Old City Park
Moab, Utah 84532
512-565-7612
georgeredmoon@gmail.com

p nut
05-14-2016, 07:37 AM
There is great road riding there, but personally, as a cyclist, I couldn't visit Moab without experiencing mountain biking. As others have said, there are trails that are beginner friendly. I've seen novices/teenagers/Boy Scouts on slick rock and amasa back on totally clapped out walmart bikes. They were having fun and so will you. Maybe opt for flat pedals instead though.

It's going to be hot next weekend. High 80's I think. We are thinking of heading down as well, but doing porcupine rim.

If you've never been to Arches, it's so close, you should take a few moments to hike the delicate arch. 3 miles round trip that my 6 yr old daughter could do, so it'd be a quick trip.

Cicli
05-14-2016, 07:47 AM
I have ridden Arches and Canyonlands. Both road and MTB.
If you only have a day, rent a Jeep ir ATV and drive Canyonlands. Gemini off 191 and all the way ariund through Canyonlands. There are miles of awesome benchcut riads to drive and you will have a blast.
The riding is superb but if you only have a day, there will be alot you will miss. Even with a whole day in a Jeep you will only see a small piece. I was there a week last year with bikes and a Jeep and still felt I left without seeing everything. It was an epic trip.

chuckred
05-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Spend it in Arches np. Many,many incredible hikes. You won't regret it.

Cicli
05-14-2016, 08:26 AM
Spend it in Arches np. Many,many incredible hikes. You won't regret it.

I have to agree with this too. I spend three days in Arches alone.

pdonk
05-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Having only been there once and wanting to go back, I'd suggest that Magnificent Seven or a portion of the trails. They were my favourite trails on the trip.

Slickrock, the trail you must ride, but it is not as much fun as other trails.

Moab Brand was ok, but too much like slickrock for my liking.

We did most of the whole enchilada (from hazard down due to snow and mud at the top). Most of it was totally ridable by a beginner, just know your limits, take lots of tubes a good snack and water.

I'd also say, arches is worth it. We hiked there for 4 hrs one morning then rode in the afternoon.

One big DO NOT RIDE is Poison Spider Mesa. When you see a sign that asks if you have a plan you know you are in for a day of "fun".

velotel
05-14-2016, 04:01 PM
As someone who used to live there, and was to a great extent responsible for putting Moab on the mountain biking map of places to go via Mountain Bike Magazine which I founded and pretty much wrote for a number of years, in fact built the first issue around Moab, I'd have to say forget the riding bit if you're only there for a day. Especially if you're not a mountain biker. The road riding is good but there's lots of good road riding in the world; there are not lots of places like Arches and Canyonlands National Parks in the world. With one day to be there, I'd have to say go up into Arches, a magical place. First time I was there was in the spring of '68, easter weekend as a matter of fact. The place was empty. And I do mean empty! A friend and I camped in the campground which is around 30 miles inside the park. We were the only ones there. Plus, and this is really crazy, the park was closed by a gate at night because of vandalism from kids in Moab. So not only were we the only ones there, the rest of the world was locked out!

So there we were, alone in Arches, both new to the place, and higher than the moon on acid and grass and totally free to do what we wanted. Had a wonderful time. Tripping in the park with no one there, pretty crazy. Anyway I fell in love with the area, used to go there regularly, every spring, every fall. Years and years later bought a house and a big property there for a song, didn't even have to add a dance. That was a great place. My ex still has it.

So I know Moab to an extent though I know nothing of all the new riding that's been developed and that I have heard all about from my son who knows it intimately. But I still say, with one day to be there, forget the bike, go explore the park, hike, meditate, alter the mind, listen to the silence, cleanse the soul. Bikes are cool and I always loved riding there but, the magic of the canyon/desert is found alone, in the silence, just watching, listening, feeling.

Just my thoughts on a place I discovered long ago and never have forgotten.

nmrt
05-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Absolutely agree with velotel.

Canyonlands is magical. But unlike the mountains that I am accustomed to in Colorado, the desert is a different place altogether. Its silence is deafening and the heat unrelenting. It does not nurture you like the cool mountain breeze. Yet, I go back every year to cleanse myself under the only shadow cast by a rock while the sun sears your skin and your soul. And the desert...the desert just looks right back at you stoically, you who has thrust yourself upon it.

You have to go experience a hike in Canyonlands.

As someone who used to live there, and was to a great extent responsible for putting Moab on the mountain biking map of places to go via Mountain Bike Magazine which I founded and pretty much wrote for a number of years, in fact built the first issue around Moab, I'd have to say forget the riding bit if you're only there for a day. Especially if you're not a mountain biker. The road riding is good but there's lots of good road riding in the world; there are not lots of places like Arches and Canyonlands National Parks in the world. With one day to be there, I'd have to say go up into Arches, a magical place. First time I was there was in the spring of '68, easter weekend as a matter of fact. The place was empty. And I do mean empty! A friend and I camped in the campground which is around 30 miles inside the park. We were the only ones there. Plus, and this is really crazy, the park was closed by a gate at night because of vandalism from kids in Moab. So not only were we the only ones there, the rest of the world was locked out!

So there we were, alone in Arches, both new to the place, and higher than the moon on acid and grass and totally free to do what we wanted. Had a wonderful time. Tripping in the park with no one there, pretty crazy. Anyway I fell in love with the area, used to go there regularly, every spring, every fall. Years and years later bought a house and a big property there for a song, didn't even have to add a dance. That was a great place. My ex still has it.

So I know Moab to an extent though I know nothing of all the new riding that's been developed and that I have heard all about from my son who knows it intimately. But I still say, with one day to be there, forget the bike, go explore the park, hike, meditate, alter the mind, listen to the silence, cleanse the soul. Bikes are cool and I always loved riding there but, the magic of the canyon/desert is found alone, in the silence, just watching, listening, feeling.

Just my thoughts on a place I discovered long ago and never have forgotten.

Cicli
05-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Agree with the last two statements.

You cant even put Arches into words and pictures do it no justice. You have to just stand there in awe.

victoryfactory
05-14-2016, 05:50 PM
The canyonlands and Moab area is my favorite place on earth. I go every year.
Usually off season when the crowds are gone.
I totally agree with those who said skip the bike on a one day first time
visit. drive the arches road. Do a couple of the short hikes like park ave. delicate arch or Devils
garden ( at dawn/ dusk if possible) to avoid the crowds. Drive the road out to
canyonlands and see dead horse point if you have time.
Get someplace for sunset.
eat at pasta Jay's if you want to gain 5 lbs. and kill people with your very breath the next day.
VF

xjoex
05-14-2016, 10:18 PM
You could absolutely 100% ride at some novice trails and have a blast!

http://www.discovermoab.com/biking.htm
Moab Brand (aka Bar M)
Klondike Bluffs

And just so you can realize the awesomeness that is Slick Rock, ride the slick rock warm up loop. Honestly the warm up loop is enough, the full slick rock is kind of boring.

Catch sunset at Arches NP.

Eat breakfast at Love Muffin.
Eat dinner at Fiesta Mexicana or Paradox Pizza . Pasta Jays is good too, like Victory Factory said you will taste garlic for days.

-Joe

AngryScientist
05-15-2016, 09:22 AM
such excellent advice here. i'm now leaning towards no bike at all, and just bringing a pair of hiking shoes. still finalizing plans though. thanks again all.

Bradford
05-15-2016, 09:36 AM
such excellent advice here. i'm now leaning towards no bike at all, and just bringing a pair of hiking shoes. still finalizing plans though. thanks again all.

That's the right move. I've been to Arches a couple of times, the last time was last fall when we camped in the park. It is a spectacular place and I'd rather be hiking in Arches than riding a bike.

If you can, do at least one hike that is off the beaten path. Like most national parks, you can spend a day in arches just driving to parking lots, walking a couple of hundred yards, and seeing spectacular stuff. Also, like most national parks, you can drive down a dirt road, park at a trail head, and head down a trail for a few hours. When did both at Arches, and I really enjoyed the hike. I'll try to find the name of the trail we really liked in case you have 2-3 hours to take a loop.

gdw
05-15-2016, 09:47 AM
A word of caution if you choose to hike... if there are bushes lining the trail make sure they aren't poison ivy.

AngryScientist
05-15-2016, 09:56 AM
A word of caution if you choose to hike... if there are bushes lining the trail make sure they aren't poison ivy.

good tip. leaves of three, let them be:)

p nut
05-15-2016, 02:25 PM
If you're doing arches, I would definitely not mind biking that road. Only driven it myself, but if I didn't have my fam with me, it would've been a great day of road biking. Pack some shoes (and a lock) in a pack and mix some hiking in. Entrance fees are 60% less for bikes as well.

Cicli
05-15-2016, 02:53 PM
If you're doing arches, I would definitely not mind biking that road. Only driven it myself, but if I didn't have my fam with me, it would've been a great day of road biking. Pack some shoes (and a lock) in a pack and mix some hiking in. Entrance fees are 60% less for bikes as well.

I have ridden in Arches as well. We usually drive in and ride. The climb in sucks if there is traffic. Tour busses and such and no real shoulder.

AngryScientist
05-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Sitting at a bar in EWR, drinking a scotch, killing time.

TomNY
05-25-2016, 09:03 AM
I've been to Moab several times including a honeymoon week of riding. There are plenty of trails a competent road cyclist can ride with a good mountain bike. BTW I saw a couple with handlebar baskets on Walmart bikes riding Rim trail. Here's a link to explore...http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/205150

I rented from Poison Spider bikes on another family trip including 5 year old son, 10 year old daughter. If you ride very early in the morning, you may mitigate the sun + heat. I carried water bottles in my jersey pockets in addition to bike. Moab is huge like a ski area with variety of elevation and descent. There are tourist shuttles that will ride you up a canyon to let your cruise down. These trails can be accessed by riding up a rental bike or taking the shuttle.

Arches is fantastic place, and you will not see everything. Afternoon / evening before sunset is fantastic. The light angle changes the hue and vibrant colors in the landscape.

p nut
05-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Hope you had fun. We decided to go over the weekend and had a blast on Porcupine Rim. But it was WINDY. Would've been a tough day on the road.