PDA

View Full Version : BB question on a Di2 mosaic

molly47
05-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I wondered if anyone has ever heard of this or knows a trick around it..
I have a Mosaic cross frame building it up with a 1x using Di2 shifters,
Rotor cranks with a 30 mm spindle,Di2 wires will not fit in bottom bracket with that size spindle,a 24 mm will work but have only two choices in GXP 24mm Sram CX1 or Shimano.
Shimano does not really look to good set up 1 X and the Cx1s are rather heavy,

I have already purchased the rotor crank with the 30 mm and installed it so no way to return,any input welcomed ..

Unpredictable
05-12-2016, 08:18 PM
What type of BB are you using ???? .....There should be room. I have done a similar build on a friend's Mosaic and it worked.

molly47
05-12-2016, 08:26 PM
What type of BB are you using ???? .....There should be room. I have done a similar build on a friend's Mosaic and it worked.

Rotor b/b its the 30mm spindle,what did you use for cranks ?

Unpredictable
05-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Do you have a Press Fit 30 frame or is it an English threaded shell......I didn't even think about that. If its a threaded shell, you are out of luck with that crank.If its a press fit 30 shell in frame, I had room with the King press fit 30 bb we used

sandyrs
05-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Get wild and get a pmp crank with a 24mm Ti spindle.

eBAUMANN
05-12-2016, 09:22 PM
sram red 22 with direct mount wolf tooth ring.

i would be STUNNED if rotors were lighter...

---

the issue is the tiny little internal vent holes yea?
not enough space to make the turns?

i really wish aaron would make those holes a little larger/exit the cable at the dropout instead of vertically out of the stay, i just built a di2 mosaic myself and MAN was it a pain in the ass wiring that thing.

molly47
05-12-2016, 10:04 PM

i would be STUNNED if rotors were lighter...

---

the issue is the tiny little internal vent holes yea?
not enough space to make the turns?

i really wish aaron would make those holes a little larger/exit the cable at the dropout instead of vertically out of the stay, i just built a di2 mosaic myself and MAN was it a pain in the ass wiring that thing.

it has been a pain in the ass,We spoke with Phil at Mosaic,

I just checked the red out will get a set you can run it 1X ?

05-12-2016, 10:07 PM
There are some frames (they all seem to be ti) for which some bottom brackets don't allow room for Di2 cables. Moots is one. Mosaic is one. It's not just the exit holes from the tubes into the bottom bracket. It's also a matter of whether the tubes or the weld joint protrude an extra millimeter or two into the bottom bracket shell. On the bottom bracket side, Praxis bottom brackets are one of the traditional offenders -- when used with a Moots or Mosaic. In my experience King bottom brackets -- all versions -- will work with all frames. There are others that will work as well. I'd suggest that if you really have a problem here, you switch to a King. It's a reliable, high quality, non-squeaking bottom bracket and it does (barely) accommodate Di2 wiring.

molly47
05-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Do you have a Press Fit 30 frame or is it an English threaded shell......I didn't even think about that. If its a threaded shell, you are out of luck with that crank.If its a press fit 30 shell in frame, I had room with the King press fit 30 bb we used

Threaded :-(

molly47
05-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Thank you 11.4 I have a moots but its bb30 and used a King no issues,I would run king on everything if possible.

The issue is with the tubing like you said,but what i don't understand is i ordered the frame Di2 specific,would that not make a difference?

molly47
05-12-2016, 10:20 PM
sram red 22 with direct mount wolf tooth ring

will direct mount work with red 22 ??

05-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Thank you 11.4 I have a moots but its bb30 and used a King no issues,I would run king on everything if possible.

The issue is with the tubing like you said,but what i don't understand is i ordered the frame Di2 specific,would that not make a difference?

It's the clearances allowed by the bottom bracket that create the problem. The outer shell is slightly larger on those bottom brackets that have problems with Di2. On some frames it isn't an issue; on others, it is.

eBAUMANN
05-12-2016, 11:28 PM
sram red 22 with direct mount wolf tooth ring

will direct mount work with red 22 ??

I'm not sure if they are only available when purchased with a quarq...but they certainly exist, I have a set.

thirdgenbird
05-12-2016, 11:37 PM
I actually think the new 4-arm shimano cranksets look good set up 1x with a wolftooth ring.

chiasticon
05-13-2016, 06:19 AM

i would be STUNNED if rotors were lighter...this. red 22 crank is, to my knowledge, the lightest crank you can currently get without going to exotic, super high-end stuff; fairwheel tested it as being pretty damn stiff too. if you're OK with the last gen graphics (or handy with removing them) you can find a decent deal on those too. paid $235 for a crankset from Merlin, sold the rings for $100. not bad. and that should leave you room for the wires plus you can use the King BB, as it sounds like you want to.

I feel your pain though. built up a Gaulzetti recently with di2 and had a Praxis PF30 to GXP adapter all set to go. no dice. the cups take up the whole BB shell and there's no room for the wires then. had to go to the Wheels Manufacturing one.

molly47
05-13-2016, 01:16 PM
this. red 22 crank is, to my knowledge, the lightest crank you can currently get without going to exotic, super high-end stuff; fairwheel tested it as being pretty damn stiff too. if you're OK with the last gen graphics (or handy with removing them) you can find a decent deal on those too. paid $235 for a crankset from Merlin, sold the rings for $100. not bad. and that should leave you room for the wires plus you can use the King BB, as it sounds like you want to.

I feel your pain though. built up a Gaulzetti recently with di2 and had a Praxis PF30 to GXP adapter all set to go. no dice. the cups take up the whole BB shell and there's no room for the wires then. had to go to the Wheels Manufacturing one.
Thank you for the response,this is my 5 th hand built frame build and it's a lot
Of work and $ figuring out what works and what doesn't .