PDA

View Full Version : Placebo effect on sports & math performance

mvrider
05-12-2016, 02:57 PM
http://news.nd.edu/news/63863-can-performance-brands-cause-a-placebo-effect/

Summary:
Test subjects given identical putters, some branded "Nike", some not.
Subjects who were told they were using "Nike" branded putters needed significantly fewer putts to sink the golf ball.

Likewise, in a math test, subjects who were told they were given "3M" branded earplugs got significantly more questions right.

“The brand needs to be perceived as capable of improving performance in a given task,” Germann said. “For example, we found that participants who were told that they we going to putt with a Gucci putter, a prestigious brand but not a performance brand, did not do better than those who did not know about the brand of the putter, while those using the Nike putter performed better than both groups.”

Germann said that the results indicate that performance brands can improve consumers’ athletic as well as cognitive performance. The results also suggest brand managers should emphasize the performance characteristics of their brands and position their brands on relevant performance dimensions.

“Ironically, our studies also indicate that consumers do not typically credit the brand with the performance gain, but rather themselves,” Germann said. “This finding provides an interesting paradox for brand managers who would likely desire some of the credit for the benefit their brands provide to consumers.”

Mark McM
05-12-2016, 03:24 PM
So, is the affect of different equipment choices all in the mind rather than body? Could be, but maybe that's a good thing. After all, the thing I like best about cycling is not where my body travels, but where my mind travels.

false_Aest
05-12-2016, 03:37 PM
This is pretty important:

"The researchers found that not everyone benefits equally from the performance brand placebo. The effect is strongest among people who are novices in the respective task, such as golf putting or math tests, whereas experts receive little or no boost."

Louis
05-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Just drink whatever wine Robert Parker recommends and you'll be fine.

gdw
05-12-2016, 03:53 PM
I was going to highlight the same paragraph. The study supports what we used to see when I worked in a pro shop years ago. Some of the courses members played occasionally but were regular customers always buying the latest putter, sand wedge, driver, or ball in an attempt to lower their scores. They might see a temporary improvement but the placebo effect didn't last long. They should have spent their money on lessons and the practice range.