PDA

View Full Version : New Mavic Clinchers

Uncle Jam's Army
05-12-2016, 02:12 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/03/bikes-and-tech/first-ride-new-mavic-carbon-clinchers_398585

Has anybody tried these? I realize Mavic wheels aren't popular around these parts but these two wheels (particularly the Ksyriums) look intriguing. All carbon, wider profile, purportedly great braking, new hub, lighter weight. More importantly, they would color coordinate with my new frame.:p

saab2000
05-12-2016, 02:29 PM
They look extremely nice. Not the same, but also very nice looking are the latest from Fulcrum. I held some Racing Quattros and some Racing Zeros the other day. Both look crazy nice.

I like that the mid-wide rims are coming. I'm still undecided on really (20mm) wide rims for regular road riding.

oldpotatoe
05-12-2016, 02:37 PM
They look extremely nice. Not the same, but also very nice looking are the latest from Fulcrum. I held some Racing Quattros and some Racing Zeros the other day. Both look crazy nice.

I like that the mid-wide rims are coming. I'm still undecided on really (20mm) wide rims for regular road riding.

I guess a wheel builder gotta whine.....subtract $1000+, add a better hubset, similar spokes both in dimension and count, a mid wide rim in aluminum. Add maybe 200 grams(on that 85,000 or so gram bike and rider package).....

WI hubs, Pacenti Rims, Sapim CxRay, 20/24....

saab2000
05-12-2016, 02:41 PM
I guess a wheel builder gotta whine.....subtract $1000+, add a better hubset, similar spokes both in dimension and count, a mid wide rim in aluminum. Add maybe 200 grams(on that 85,000 or so gram bike and rider package).....

I ride Nucleon tubulars and love them. I had a couple sets of Record hubs laced to Ambrosio Nemesis. But had the same tires. There was no comparison - the pre-built Nucleons provided a nicer, livelier ride. I don't know why but I don't think it's only a mental difference. It's not the weight but some other property or characteristic makes a difference.

I'll be on the Nukes in a bit for 2-3 hours on the rollers of western Wisconsin and it's going to be great!

Oh, and the Fulcrums are Record hubs.... The internals haven't changed in like 15 years or so. Unless I'm mistaken there's not much difference inside.

Uncle Jam's Army
05-12-2016, 02:46 PM

WI hubs, Pacenti Rims, Sapim CxRay, 20/24....

You're missing the whole point, Pete. They color-coordinate with my new frameset.😝

ptourkin
05-12-2016, 02:49 PM

20? I'm missing something. The wide rims are 25 now. I really like the ride on my Enve 2.2 clinchers. The new 25 Vittorias are almost 28 on them. Just as cushy as my 3.4 tubulars. I think it's a good trend.

thegunner
05-12-2016, 02:52 PM
20? I'm missing something. The wide rims are 25 now. I really like the ride on my Enve 2.2 clinchers. The new 25 Vittorias are almost 28 on them. Just as cushy as my 3.4 tubulars. I think it's a good trend.

internal width.

saab2000
05-12-2016, 02:54 PM

Internal width.

sandyrs
05-12-2016, 02:55 PM

Just curious- what wheels are so bad as to not seem nice when held in hand? Most decent stock wheelsets will feel light when held on their own, will not be out of true when brand new, etc. The test of time is what differentiates good wheels from bad.

ptourkin
05-12-2016, 03:07 PM
internal width.

Duh. Nevermind https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/37/a4/43/37a44360827029abce72b58fab36857f.jpg

saab2000
05-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Just curious- what wheels are so bad as to not seem nice when held in hand? Most decent stock wheelsets will feel light when held on their own, will not be out of true when brand new, etc. The test of time is what differentiates good wheels from bad.

I agree. All feel nice. I'm only going with the Fulcrums based on my excellent experience with Campagnolo wheels and Fulcrum is a division of Campagnolo.

I have three sets of Nucleon tubulars. They're all at least a decade old and have exceeded my expectations in terms of ride quality and durability. Campagnolo knows how to make really nice wheels.

sandyrs
05-12-2016, 03:19 PM
I agree. All feel nice. I'm only going with the Fulcrums based on my excellent experience with Campagnolo wheels and Fulcrum is a division of Campagnolo.

I have three sets of Nucleon tubulars. They're all at least a decade old and have exceeded my expectations in terms of ride quality and durability. Campagnolo knows how to make really nice wheels.

Makes sense. I've been very close to buying fulcrum wheels a few times for similar reasons.

pdmtong
05-12-2016, 05:56 PM
You're missing the whole point, Pete. They color-coordinate with my new frameset.😝

new frame, soon new wheels, UJA back in the house?

Best news of the day for sure.

thwart
05-12-2016, 07:14 PM
new frame, soon new wheels, uja back in the house?

+1.

tv_vt
05-12-2016, 09:54 PM
$2200?

Pass.

Uncle Jam's Army
05-12-2016, 11:13 PM
new frame, soon new wheels, UJA back in the house?

Thank you Paul.

chiasticon
05-13-2016, 06:46 AM
I realize Mavic wheels aren't popular around these partsI don't see any threads on them there (yet) but maybe ask across the hall? Mavics are pretty popular there.

mike mcdermid
05-14-2016, 02:27 PM
I have both the new c40s braking is something else and there simply is nothing to match a brake trak made of carbon that brakes reliably dry or wet

there is no pulsing

Exalith is good, it always has been

I think its a different tough sell ,selling mavic to the Americans you like wide tyres you have lots of gravel roads

DFORD
05-17-2016, 04:12 PM
If you are undecided on wide wims, go ride some. you will not be undecided anymore. They make your bike feel awesome.

berserk87
05-17-2016, 08:39 PM
I have the previous model with the aluminum box section for heat dissipation.

I got them as a warranty (upgrade) replacement to another wheel set - Mavic really took care of me - that I got through a team deal.

I like them quite a bit. They are not as laterally stiff as I wanted, but they are light and smooth. I have not managed to break them and I am a wheel wrecker. I did manage to break the wheels that they replaced - multiple times.

Wet weather braking sucks dog turds. They are supposed to be the cat's meow, but most carbon rim makers say that. Dry weather braking is just dandy.

They feel fast. I would not pay $2200 for them. I have a fraction of that invested due to the team deal on the original wheels, and then the warranty/upgrade.

Heck, who am I kidding? I wouldn't pay retail for anything.