PDA

View Full Version : cracked campy record brake pivot-nut, not in parts catalog

wallymann
05-11-2016, 02:37 PM
i eyeballed my front record brake calipers after a good warshing. spotted a cracked pivot-nut that apparently is not available as a spare part.

these front-calipers are mid 2000s dual-pivots and i can see the part in the campy catalog, but no individual part# associated nor an assembly part#.

i'm wondering if anyone can comment on whether this part is in fact available as a replacement part. and if so, how i'd order it w/o a part #.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13221011_10208435043745538_7935965118858478605_n.j pg?oh=fc0577495f25406cae20ce15c4b91ac9&oe=57E78333

found this pic on the interwebs, someone else had the same problem:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/AramDellalian/brakescrack.jpg

eBAUMANN
05-11-2016, 02:54 PM
probably easier to just find another broken brake to use for parts...which i actually might have and would be happy to send your way for cost of shipping. ill report back tonight.

Gsinill
05-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Had the same issue.
Checked on eBay for months without luck before I finally gave in and made one from some aluminum stock.
My mini lathe sucks so it took a while and required a lot of tinkering.
If you happen to know someone with access to a decent lathe and a mill it should be easy and quick to fabricate one.

wallymann
05-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Had the same issue.
Checked on eBay for months without luck before I finally gave in and made one from some aluminum stock.
My mini lathe sucks so it took a while and required a lot of tinkering.
If you happen to know someone with access to a decent lathe and a mill it should be easy and quick to fabricate one.

it just looks like a lock-nut with a hex lock threaded in from the side.

what is that, a locking-lock-nut?!

maybe just an appropriately-threaded nut made of stainless w/ lots of loctite would do the trick?

Mr_Gimby
05-11-2016, 03:51 PM

maybe just an appropriately-threaded nut made of stainless w/ lots of loctite would do the trick?

This. It's what most other companies use in that application.

Gsinill
05-11-2016, 04:01 PM

Not really a lock nut, just a regular thread in a piece of aluminum with an allen grub nut to lock it from the side.
This allows to tighten the nut just enough so the pivot still moves freely and then lock it with the grub nut.
A regular lock nut might work too, I guess.
Italian over engineering?

wallymann
05-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Not really a lock nut, just a regular thread in a piece of aluminum with an allen grub nut to lock it from the side.
This allows to tighten the nut just enough so the pivot still moves freely and then lock it with the grub nut.
A regular lock nut might work too, I guess.
Italian over engineering?

yabbut the actual fixing nut is right under under this one (to the left in the diagram). it's like a cone-and-locknut you'd see on a hub, but in this case the locknut has the added grub-nut.

a case of belt-and-suspenders?

ultraman6970
05-11-2016, 04:09 PM
That's common, dont worry about it, it wont explode. Had a set with the same problem for several years, never noticed anything weird with it.

Besides, the only way to find the piece now a days is to find another set of calipers, not worth it IMO because probably is cheaper get a new set of calipers than buy a used set just to get that piece.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2016, 04:14 PM
That's common, dont worry about it, it wont explode. Had a set with the same problem for several years, never noticed anything weird with it.

Besides, the only way to find the piece now a days is to find another set of calipers, not worth it IMO because probably is cheaper get a new set of calipers than buy a used set just to get that piece.

What he said. Unless you take the brake apart, just leave it.

Gsinill
05-11-2016, 04:21 PM
yabbut the actual fixing nut is right under under this one (to the left in the diagram). it's like a cone-and-locknut you'd see on a hub, but in this case the locknut has the added grub-nut.

a case of belt-and-suspenders?

I see your point.
The same grub nut concept is used for the other pivot which does not have the additional square nut.
I guess our friends in Vicenza wanted to keep it the same for both.
But looking at your issue, i am sure a regular lock nut would be fine.

Mark McM
05-11-2016, 04:23 PM
The crack in the aluminum locknut around the setscrew is common. As stated, the locknut-plus-setscrew is also a bit redundant, so Campagnolo replaced the locknut-plus-setscrew with a simple locknut on later models (probably added an extra gram of weight).

The new locknut is retrofittable to older brakes, and is still available (although quite expensive):

http://www.aebike.com/Campagnolo-Super-RecordRecord-Brake-Nut-No-Set-Screw_p_5031.html

It would probably be easiest to simply measure the threads, and go down to the local hardware store and find a suitable replacement nut.

Gsinill
05-11-2016, 04:33 PM
The crack in the aluminum locknut around the setscrew is common. As stated, the locknut-plus-setscrew is also a bit redundant, so Campagnolo replaced the locknut-plus-setscrew with a simple locknut on later models (probably added an extra gram of weight).

The new locknut is retrofittable to older brakes, and is still available (although quite expensive):

http://www.aebike.com/Campagnolo-Super-RecordRecord-Brake-Nut-No-Set-Screw_p_5031.html

It would probably be easiest to simply measure the threads, and go down to the local hardware store and find a suitable replacement nut.

$12 this is nuts!

cadence90
05-11-2016, 05:09 PM
$12 this is nuts!

Yeah but: "No Set Screw".

That's where they'll...screw you!

#badpunday.