PDA

View Full Version : 200 on 100 - length of Vermont

mmfs
05-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Anyone did this/planning on doing this?

Assuming you don't have someone to chauffeur you, the logistics of one way car rental that to/from near the terminus points is a bit of a challenge. Anyone have recommendations on how they manage the non-bike portion of the transportation and lodging?

http://100-200.org/
Saturday, June 18th, 2016

The 100/200 is a one day bicycle ride that stretches from the Canadian border to the Massachusetts state line. Route 100 is widely recognized as one of Vermont's most scenic highways and the ride is routed to minimize automobile traffic. With nicely spaced town greens for breaks, numerous scenic vistas, a number of long, steep climbs, and 50 mph descents, the 100/200 is a true New England classic, and a prime target for experienced cyclists.

eBAUMANN
05-10-2016, 05:22 PM
that ride is on my list for sure...the logistics are definitely tricky though...

a true masochist would turn it into a loop from their doorstep ;)

Slow Eddie
05-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Riding partner; car drop. That's a long time to suffer by yourself.

tele
05-11-2016, 05:42 AM
That's a long time to suffer by yourself.

After watching the vid a couple years ago with Ted King and a couple of others suffer through that takes some big balls. I wouldn't want to even drive that route.

guido
05-11-2016, 06:58 AM
It has competition on the calendar from the NER 400k Brevet to Portland ME and back.

MattTuck
05-11-2016, 07:29 AM
What happened to the 200 not on 100? haha.

Definitely too much for me this year. Maybe next year.

old fat man
05-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Rt 100 is a pretty crummy and busy road in a lot of places. Only reason to do this ride is to say you've done it. There are much better routes all over VT.

mmfs
06-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Reporting back after completing this on 06.18.16...

Since I couldn't convince a significant other or acquaintance to provide transportation, Uhaul was the best solution that I could come up with for one way vehicle rental. Picked it up at the southern terminus in Brattleboro. It worked perfectly - I found a drop off location about ten miles from the start of the ride. Stayed in the great Journey's B&B in North Troy, VT (all of the other guests were riders too). The B&B owner even served us breakfast before our 5AM departure!

Big kudos to Steve and Jeanne for maintaining the tradition of getting people together for this ride - apparently the 17th "official" running of it, as loose as the organization of it is.

About 30 to 40 riders started the ride. I may have been the only, or at least one of the few, "unsupported" riders - relying on the towns the course passed through for resupplies. Towns were sufficiently frequently spaced and had decent services.

Traffic on the course was fairly busy around the Stowe area, but very light along much of the route. Hills were a good challenge, but at least they were somewhat predictable, I guess. The strong sun and lack of shade was perhaps the biggest challenge. Fortunately, no headwind. Portions of the road were chewed up, but much of it was good condition with a decent shoulder. Drivers were all decent.

I rode on and off with a few other folks, leap frogging a few throughout. I split from the group at mile 170, heading southeast on Route 30 to the Massachusetts state line on Route 142, south of Brattleboro. This was another key logistical solution, with Uhaul rental pickup, multiple hotels, and late night food options at the southern terminus. Plus, it avoided the Mt. Snow climb at the end!

I finished right around sunset at the state line. Mile ~204. No record breaking time for sure, but pretty much the time I was expecting. An unbelievable amount of satisfaction from completing this monster! Congratulations to all who had the chutzpah to take this one on!

Guess I can say "I've done it";) I'd love to see a backroads version of this!

Louis
06-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Congratulations - that's a heck of a ride! :hello::hello::hello:

MattTuck
06-20-2016, 09:00 PM
Congrats on completing it. It sounds like one that you'll remember for a long time. 200 miles is too much for me, but it sounds fun.

Brian Cdn
06-20-2016, 09:03 PM
BRAVO ! :beer:

AngryScientist
06-20-2016, 09:05 PM
great work! 200 is a big number, excellent accomplishment.

if i may ask: what was the longest distance you have ridden recently prior to doing this?

mmfs
06-20-2016, 09:12 PM
if i may ask: what was the longest distance you have ridden recently prior to doing this?

THANKS! Single biggest day on the bike before this was Crush the Commonwealth (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=185373) day one - 210 miles, which I've done twice. Followed by 175 the following day. That was a ball buster. Prior to that, my longest ride was about 130 miles.

I did a couple of 300k brevets last year. A couple of years ago, any of this seemed terribly, completely, out of reach. Then I realized if I don't do it now, when will I...

dbnm
06-20-2016, 09:13 PM
200 miles is huge. Congrats.

I just completed 71 miles with 4500 feet of elevation and that was tough.

Good on you!

Cat3roadracer
06-20-2016, 09:20 PM
I thought Deerfield was an accomplishment. Congratulations to you!

Slow Eddie
06-20-2016, 09:28 PM
...I'd love to see a backroads version of this!

Still a work in progress, but here ya go (https://www.facebook.com/groups/761985190563390/)!

And congratulations on a job well done!

guido
06-21-2016, 07:09 AM
Nice effort! Congrats! :hello: