PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a blinky light

johnniecakes
05-10-2016, 11:10 AM
My wife was driving us on Friday afternoon and we approached a cyclist from behind. She made the comment "I could really see his light from far away". The light wasn't anything extra special, just a small red light blinking. So it got me thinking that if she made the comment it may be a good idea to get one. I have been riding since 1973 and never had a collision from behind but if something is available that could keep my record (and teeth) intact I should do it. So 50 grams later I now have a little flashing light. :banana:

Black Dog
05-10-2016, 11:17 AM
My wife was driving us on Friday afternoon and we approached a cyclist from behind. She made the comment "I could really see his light from far away". The light wasn't anything extra special, just a small red light blinking. So it got me thinking that if she made the comment it may be a good idea to get one. I have been riding since 1973 and never had a collision from behind but if something is available that could keep my record (and teeth) intact I should do it. So 50 grams later I now have a little flashing light. :banana:

A good blinky is probably the only thing that might save my life from being snuffed out by a distracted (texting) driver. Been riding for almost 30 years and texting is the only thing that has ever really made me worry about my safety. A good blinky can really help catch the attention of a distracted driver during that instant that they gaze up at the road.

MattTuck
05-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Can't you feel that extra weight on the hills? Hopefully you got one that is aero.

JStonebarger
05-10-2016, 11:23 AM
I always have a red blinky going in back -- even midday. But I don't think it'll necessarily stop you from getting hit.

I've been hit from behind twice. Both times in broad daylight. Neither motorist was impaired or even texting or on their phone. In both cases, the motorist was simply distracted for a moment...

Again, I use a blinky every ride. I not saying don't. But the bigger issue is people driving distracted, whether texting or drunk or just not paying attention. As a cyclist, do what you can, blinky included. As a motorist, PAY ATTENTION, and insist that others do too.

MattTuck
05-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I always have a red blinky going in back -- even midday. But I don't think it'll necessarily stop you from getting hit.

I've been hit from behind twice. Both times in broad daylight. Neither motorist was impaired or even texting or on their phone. In both cases, the motorist was simply distracted for a moment...

Again, I use a blinky every ride. I not saying don't. But the bigger issue is people driving distracted, whether texting or drunk or just not paying attention. As a cyclist, do what you can, blinky included. As a motorist, PAY ATTENTION, and insist that others do too.

Agree with last part. DWI should be rewritten to mean Driving While Impaired. Should include alcohol, drugs, distraction from eating, using phone, etc. It is a joke that drivers get a fine of like 100 bucks for texting, but get their license suspended in a DUI case. The potential for harm from both activities is equally catastrophic.

drewellison
05-10-2016, 12:12 PM
I think I'm going to do a Kickstarter project to bring to market a light set with flexible mounts, so it'll contribute to planing. It'll make all other rigid mount lights obsolete overnight. :banana:

djg21
05-10-2016, 12:24 PM

I use a clear/white Knog blinky on my bars too. I often ride in the late afternoon/early evening when people are rushing home and try to make myself more visible. I use a nightrider if is even close to getting dark.

chiasticon
05-10-2016, 12:37 PM
recently started doing this.

we had a group of cyclists hit last fall by a texting driver; five were hit, two spent a couple weeks in ICU, one died on the scene, one a week later. went to trial, driver was let off of all charges. they were all basically hit head-on (driver turned directly in front of/into them). regardless, it's still a tough one to get out of your head. so the blinky is my way of saying a little prayer that drivers behind me at least have a few more seconds to react when they look up from their phones and see a weird little blinking they should probably avoid.

guido
05-10-2016, 12:43 PM
I think they do a lot to make us more visible. Even it it only makes your wife feel more comfortable when you are riding it is worth the cost and the ounces...

thwart
05-10-2016, 12:44 PM
A good blinky can really help catch the attention of a distracted driver during that instant that they gaze up at the road.

Yep. And you'll never know if it saved you from injury... or worse.

rePhil
05-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Getting on my soap box...Now, do your self and your wife a favor and check your Uninsured / Underinsured motorist coverage. Hopefully you will never need it, but if you do, you will be glad you have it.

CSTRider
05-10-2016, 02:22 PM
So which blinky models are folks most happy with?

My criteria would be highly visible in daylight, at least 8 hours of run time, waterproof and rechargeable.

drewellison
05-10-2016, 02:30 PM
For daylight riding, you want to turn it to the bright setting for best visibility. Of course, that'll decrease battery life. But it may increase your life. That's a pretty fair trade off IMHO.

p nut
05-10-2016, 02:44 PM

My criteria would be highly visible in daylight, at least 8 hours of run time, waterproof and rechargeable.

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights/fenderbot

They have rechargeable models, but I like regular ol batteries for those extra long rides where rechargeable batteries die. 2 extra batteries don't weigh much.

And they are a super cool company.

Dead Man
05-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Every blinky I've ever tried has had at least one fatal flaw - rechargeable (so inevitably dies mid-ride, but only when it's dark), not water proof, no brite enough, difficult user interface... something. Stupid freaken things piss me off, and bleed you at $40-80+ a pop

Plus they're all ugly

Then I found the Nonexistoblink 925... one setting, never recharge, looks great... and as far as I can tell, just as (if not more?) effective as anything else I've used.

:p

rePhil
05-10-2016, 02:52 PM
I have been happy with my Bontrager Flare. I have had people come up to me at a stoplights asking what kind it was and commenting on how bright it is.

Saying that I would also give a good look at the Dinotte

makoti
05-10-2016, 03:56 PM
I have one front & rear. Didn't really think they did much, until I was driving midday & a guy was riding the trail next to me, towards me, with his kids. I didn't see them, but he had a blinky on the front. Saw him right away.

thwart
05-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Then I found the Nonexistoblink 925... one setting, never recharge, looks great... and as far as I can tell, just as (if not more?) effective as anything else I've used.

:p
Tryin' yer very best to 'live' up to your user name? ;)

Black Dog
05-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Yep. And you'll never know if it saved you from injury... or worse.

So, what are you saying here? Is there not a rational argument to be made that increased visibility can help catch the attention of an otherwise inattentive driver? I am willing to use the light until we have the empirical data to answer the question with a high degree of confidence. I think that the point is a bright blinky that is visible from afar has the best chance of catching the attention of the driver during the short and infrequent moments that he/she looks up while texting. Once you have their attention they will presumably mind your presence until they pass you then back to Facebook updates etc...

tumbler
05-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Black Dog, I read thwart's post as being pro-blinky... as in you'll never know how many drivers didn't hit you because they saw you, better safe than sorry, etc. etc.

thwart
05-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Black Dog, I read thwart's post as being pro-blinky... as in you'll never know how many drivers didn't hit you because they saw you, better safe than sorry, etc. etc.

This.

Sorry if I was less than clear... trying to stress the 'no news is good news' aspect of using one.

rePhil
05-10-2016, 06:24 PM
I had a bright blinky on, sun on my back, was wearing a bright colored jersey, and was riding in a marked bike lane and was still crashed into.

The accident report states: Distracted.

So, what are you saying here? Is there not a rational argument to be made that increased visibility can help catch the attention of an otherwise inattentive driver? I am willing to use the light until we have the empirical data to answer the question with a high degree of confidence. I think that the point is a bright blinky that is visible from afar has the best chance of catching the attention of the driver during the short and infrequent moments that he/she looks up while texting. Once you have their attention they will presumably mind you presence until they pass you then back to Facebook updates etc...

pitonpat
05-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Coincidentally, I saw a rider today with a rear blinky from really far away as I approached... gave me one of those " oh yeah, that's a good idea. Glad I have one on my bike" moments.

I also have a blinky on my LG helmet adjustment wheel in the back and a white Knog blinky on the head tube of my bike. Don't anybody ever say they didn't see me!

"Yes, judge, I saw Fred riding his bike but hit him anyway- he deserved it for being lit up like a Christmas tree."

BlueFly
05-10-2016, 07:33 PM

I use this one on every ride with rechargeable batteries.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3019.html

Spinner
05-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Won't ride without.

pdmtong
05-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Knog Blinder. (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/knog-blinder-road-r70-tail-light?skid=KNG000H-RY-ONESIZ&CMP_SKU=KNG000H&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=E5E80AB6-B26E-E511-80FA-0050569475F3&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=81820584661&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-123471098701&mr:ploc=9031914&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=123471098701&gclid=CPSqstnu0MwCFVBffgod2LUCtA&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Great price, great lumens.

love rear blinky when riding solo but hate rear blinky stuck behind a friend. Gives me headache looking at it.

Black Dog
05-10-2016, 08:35 PM
This.

Sorry if I was less than clear... trying to stress the 'no news is good news' aspect of using one.

Ok. Thanks. I kinda read it as a bit like a 'why bother since you can't know if it makes a difference kind' of response. All is good. :)

Black Dog
05-10-2016, 08:38 PM
I had a bright blinky on, sun on my back, was wearing a bright colored jersey, and was riding in a marked bike lane and was still crashed into.

The accident report states: Distracted.

Justs go to show you that we can, at best reduce risk, but never eliminate it. Humans are truly capable of some stupid behaviours. Hope that you came out ok.

CSKeller
05-10-2016, 08:54 PM
I ride with the Design Shine DS-500 tail light and the Design Shine DS-1300 headlight http://store.designshinelighting.com/default.asp whenever I ride alone (much of the time).

Most cars give me more passing room ever since I started using these lights. I also use a Bike Peddler Take a Look mirror https://www.rei.com/product/752285/bike-peddler-take-a-look-mirror and I can see that most cars move over.

Of course there are always those jerks that refuse to give adaquate passing room but it seems that number has reduced since I started using the lights.

I thought the battery packs were going to be horrible but they mount easily and I find it unnecessary to replace batteries or charge them each day. I easily go a week between charges and have access to varying power/illumination settings.

weaponsgrade
05-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Does anyo have a suggestion for a tail light that mounts to the seat Stays? The saddle bag I use doesn't leave much room for a light.

Tony T
05-11-2016, 05:57 AM
I've been using this one for years, clips to my saddle bag and has a UBS charger.
3 modes: fast flash, slow flash, steady. Charge lasts about 8 hours, and has indicator when charge is low.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q%2BUHbCjoL._AC_UL320_SR292,320_.jpg

oldpotatoe
05-11-2016, 05:58 AM
https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights/fenderbot

They have rechargeable models, but I like regular ol batteries for those extra long rides where rechargeable batteries die. 2 extra batteries don't weigh much.

And they are a super cool company.

If ya got a fender.

roadie7
05-11-2016, 06:00 AM
Using a light is an excellent practice. HOWEVER, don't assume it will automatically save you. I found out the hard way when a driver hit me from behind. A kind motorist picked up my bike and took it to my house about six hours later and the light was still blinking.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2016, 06:12 AM
Using a light is an excellent practice. HOWEVER, don't assume it will automatically save you. I found out the hard way when a driver hit me from behind. A kind motorist picked up my bike and took it to my house about six hours later and the light was still blinking.

The lady that hit me was asleep..at 10:30 on a Saturday MORNING. I choose to only ride where there is a shoulder..at least try to stay outta their way as much as possible.

chiasticon
05-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Does anyo have a suggestion for a tail light that mounts to the seat Stays? The saddle bag I use doesn't leave much room for a light.I've been using this one lately (https://www.serfas.com/products/view/669/). bright enough, cheap-ish, goes on and off the bike quickly, and can be attached to seat post or seat stays.

that said, I think I might go back to using the Portland Design Works Danger Zone. the dance mode blinking pattern on that thing is pretty attention-grabbing. see a video of it here (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjagJKxhdLMAhUsxYMKHTNaAoYQtwIILjAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVv WjLbgling&usg=AFQjCNEQqby3bsCnIwTKeMvLs7GglU4frQ&bvm=bv.121658157,d.amc)

chiasticon
05-11-2016, 07:43 AM
I've been using this one for years, clips to my saddle bag and has a UBS charger.
3 modes: fast flash, slow flash, steady. Charge lasts about 8 hours, and has indicator when charge is low.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q%2BUHbCjoL._AC_UL320_SR292,320_.jpgI used to love this thing because you could mount it anywhere: helmet straps, seat bag, back of your jersey, backpack, etc. but the weirdo charging port eventually got corroded enough that it won't connect to the charger; hence, can't charge it any more. it's kind of a known problem with them, if you read amazon reviews. bummer, as it's an awesome light.

RFC
05-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Is there really any doubt here? Light up your bike! At night, it looks like I'm riding a motorcycle.

Tony T
05-11-2016, 10:48 AM
I used to love this thing because you could mount it anywhere: helmet straps, seat bag, back of your jersey, backpack, etc. but the weirdo charging port eventually got corroded enough that it won't connect to the charger; hence, can't charge it any more. it's kind of a known problem with them, if you read amazon reviews. bummer, as it's an awesome light.

Never had that problem, but the charging port is a magnetic connection (that connects to the USB fob) that I would think could be cleaned if corroded. But, there are now so many choices, no need to use the flea if you had problems with it.

JAGI410
05-11-2016, 11:06 AM
I just got the new Bontrager Flare R taillight, which is designed for daytime use. This thing is seriously bright, so much so that the "night mode" is actually dimmer than the normal day mode. Nice mounts for belt clip or seatpost and USB charging. This thing is a winner.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-lights/bontrager-flare-r-tail-light/p/13202

My paranoia about texting drivers has severely dampened my appetite for road riding, so I'm hoping this helps ease my nerves a bit.

cmbicycles
05-11-2016, 11:15 AM
I used to love this thing because you could mount it anywhere: helmet straps, seat bag, back of your jersey, backpack, etc. but the weirdo charging port eventually got corroded enough that it won't connect to the charger; hence, can't charge it any more. it's kind of a known problem with them, if you read amazon reviews. bummer, as it's an awesome light.

If you contact blackburn they will probably replace it for you. They did for me on a front Flea light not too long ago, they have a lifetime warranty.

guido
05-11-2016, 11:48 AM
I dislike the usb rechargables since once it dies in the field you have no light (unless you can charge it off your dynamo...) Instead I use AAA rechargables and keep a spare set in my seatbag. Replace them and back to 100% in moments...

drewellison
05-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Does anyo have a suggestion for a tail light that mounts to the seat Stays? The saddle bag I use doesn't leave much room for a light.

Minoura mount.

Jad
05-11-2016, 12:37 PM

The Planet Bike "Spok micro tails" are pretty good for seatstays, as long as you can get the right angle. They're nice in conjunction with a clip-on for the saddle bag.

http://www.brokenspokebikeslv.com/product/planet-bike-spok-taillight-224548-1.htm

gmonster
05-11-2016, 01:58 PM
My latest pair of blinky lights are rechargable thru a USB port... one more thing to plug in, but it's always there for me now.

kevinvc
05-11-2016, 02:29 PM
I read on the internet (so it must be true!) that blinky lights are better at capturing someone's attention, but that they are harder to judge distance than a solid light. I agree with others that blinkys, especially really bright ones are very annoying to follow behind.

Personally, I use a very bright AAA battery powered PDW light on solid pretty much year round. In the darker, rainy months I also use a small, less bright blinky light.

Up front I have a very bright Cygolight mounted on my commuter bike's handlebars. I keep it pointed down so it isn't too blinding. I also wear a not very bright blinky on my helmet. I like having it there since I am able to aim it directly where I want, which is usually directly at a driver, if I want to get their attention.

SteveV0983
05-15-2016, 10:03 AM
I used both a Portland Design Danger Zone and a Planet Bike Superflash Turbo for years and they are both very good. Then I started to get paranoid about getting hit so I ordered a Dinotte Quad Red and this thing is excellent. It does feel as though cars give me a little more room and I have had several people ask what it is and comment that they picked it up from a long distance back. It's USB rechargeable and comes with 2 mounts so you can move it between bikes and it has 6 different flashing patterns. The only negative is the price, but I don't have any second thoughts now that I have it.

warren128
05-15-2016, 11:13 AM
there might be better ones out there, but mine is a seat stay mount, Cateye LD-610, 60 hours on AAA batteries in flashing mode, very visible in daytime. Only one LED is on in the photo because I had it set on random flashing mode.

http://www.fototime.com/1D50C6B047790E5/xlarge.jpg

Gummee
05-15-2016, 04:23 PM
Since the plural of anecdote is data: I've noticed that when I don't run with my Flare R on, people pass me closer and in less safe spots. Run with the Flare R on and they give me more room. Go figure. Must be something to em.

I keep mine on 'retina sear' the whole time it's on. Even at night. I'll even wear the Bontrager reflective stuff (the whole jersey reflects, the grippers and back of the shorts do) if I know I'm gonna ride home at night. I'm on little country roads, so no ambient light except for my lights and car headlights.

Add some Endura reflective socks or DeFeet reflective socks and they'd better have a damn good excuse for not seeing me.

M

EPIC! Stratton
05-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Personally my favorite light is still the Viz 360+
(http://www.lightandmotion.com/vis-360-plus)http://www.lightandmotion.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/400x/0dc2d03fe217f8c83829496872af24a0/v/i/vis360plus_2_web.png

Used it for years for night rides and commuting. Bright and not too heavy.

Re small lights for the rear, I'm rather partial to the following:
PDW Danger Zone (https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights/danger-zone)
https://www.ridepdw.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_photo_slideshow/public/product-images/410_web.jpg?itok=TDkry_k0

Sparse (https://sparse.cc/fixed-light-system)
http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/sparse-bicycle-lights-seatpost-mount-tail-light.jpg

Polyglot
05-21-2016, 12:47 PM
It is my understanding that using any continuously blinking light is not legal in many jurisdictions. Has anybody ever checked into the legality of the flashing lights?

Dead Man
05-21-2016, 12:51 PM
It is my understanding that using any continuously blinking light is not legal in many jurisdictions. Has anybody ever checked into the legality of the flashing lights?

Nothing against it in Oregon.. but I can't speak for the other 49

Check your state's vehicle code