PDA

View Full Version : OT: Captain American: Civil War

tuxbailey
05-10-2016, 10:01 AM
I saw it yesterday and it was fun, and entertaining; specially if you have been following the Marvel cinematic universe.

I am not a comic book fan though I do enjoy the superhero movies quite a bit. I think Marvel is just really good at making these movies.

I am not sure what WB/DC can do to catch up, specially after the BvS failure.

William
05-10-2016, 10:28 AM
I heard the HULK was taking some time off in the South of France to go cycling?

William

oldfatslow
05-10-2016, 11:26 AM
It was better than I expected and in spite of its 160 minute running time I only looked at my watch a couple of times. See it at Alamo Drafthouse, or something similar if your poor hamlet doesn't have Alamo, so you can watch it with a beer in hand.

ultraman6970
05-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Movie was not bad, saw it sunday. My kids were laughing a lot with some of the jokes between the characters inside of that old beetle. I think they found a good spiderman, not the spiderman of my generation but the young spiderman they tried to get in the previous movies. What never liked was ironman, so chaotically A-H he is...

The BvS movie was not that bad but had a bunch of weird stuff going on, felt the same than "the Force awakens"... not bored but non substance. IMO what saved BvS was when wonder woman appeared. Lets see what will happens when the other movies come up, joker and harley quinn will save that movie I think.

X-Men coming.

dustyrider
05-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Just gonna stick this (http://imgur.com/gallery/EL0pK4g) here! :)

tuxbailey
05-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Just gonna stick this (http://imgur.com/gallery/EL0pK4g) here! :)

That was great. I read that Ian Mckellen broke down and cried when he was filming the Hobbit because he believes that speaking with a green screen was not what acting was supposed to be.

berserk87
05-10-2016, 02:43 PM
I loved it. But I am a huge Marvel Comics geek.

We have a tradition in my family that started with my son (my oldest child) about 10 years ago, in which we see each new Marvel movie on the night that it opens.

We have since added my youngest child (she is 11 now) to the crew. We have missed a couple of opening night-ers over the years (i.e. Ant Man - which we now own on DVD), but for the most part the tradition is solid.

I didn't like yet another reboot of Spider Man, in concept. In practice, the new Spidey was pretty great. Not sure why all of the do-overs with the Spider Man story. Maybe just a drive for more cash, with a proven formula?

I enjoyed Superman Vs. Batman, but did not "love" it. I though that the first 45 minutes was kind of a slow drag though. I will second the opinion that the Wonder Woman character made the movie - she carried the fight in the big battle scene.

Here's hoping that the new X-men movie is entertaining.

mhespenheide
05-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I thought it was quite good, but found the plot device of the Sokovia accords awkward and somewhat forced. With some thought, it's easy to see how Tony's guilt over mishandling the Ultron system pushes him away from his earlier freelancing and how Cap's experience with SHIELD/Hydra pushes him away from his earlier tendency to toe the line. But it could have been done with more nuance. It felt, to me, a little too contrived and trying to force the ideas from the comic book cross-overs into the movie universe.

And they're still wasting Black Widow...

tumbler
05-10-2016, 03:35 PM
I was forced to watch this by lady-tumbler, who is a fan of such things. I took my 3-D glasses off about half way through and convinced myself that the blur without the glasses was better than the blur with the glasses. I didn't enjoy it, just not my thing, but the wife and our friends did. Fortunately the theater served alcohol.

berserk87
05-10-2016, 03:41 PM
I was forced to watch this by lady-tumbler, who is a fan of such things. I took my 3-D glasses off about half way through and convinced myself that the blur without the glasses was better than the blur with the glasses. I didn't enjoy it, just not my thing, but the wife and our friends did. Fortunately the theater served alcohol.

I hate 3D flicks. I have not seen one in years. Nothing like wearing sunglasses in a dark room.

MattTuck
05-10-2016, 03:49 PM
I don't watch these movies much, but kind of a funny tangential story. Probably 4 or 5 years ago, a group in one of my courses did a valuation project on the movie studio that owns the rights to many of the Marvel characters (I believe it was a stand alone studio owned by Marvel at the time, but it is now Disney, but not 100% sure.)

Their big take away was that it seemed implausible that they'd be able to extract any significant value from these second tier characters. (Most of the top tier characters had already been licensed away, like Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic 4, Hulk, etc.)

Anyway, with the rate of these movies coming out, I think it is fair to say that they've found a way to make money with some of their minor characters.

eBAUMANN
05-10-2016, 03:50 PM
3D is the worst thing to happen to live-action movies in a long long time.

some animated movies are cool to see in 3D though, i remember Up! was pretty fun to look at.

Saint Vitus
05-10-2016, 04:11 PM
I can only hope that it is better than the trailer I saw a few months back, I laughed at the silliness of the concept. Matter of fact, I dislike going to the theater because all of the trailers. I think I saw the earth destroyed 5 times over by as many antagonists in the span of 20 minutes.

malbecman
05-10-2016, 04:12 PM
We saw it with our two teen boys and all of us enjoyed it. Sure, some of the plot was a little awkward but I wasn't expecting a lot in that dept.

The action scene with Ant-man and Spidey was especially pretty fun. We don't do 3D movies either so I'm glad our theater had both choices.

FlashUNC
05-10-2016, 04:18 PM
I don't watch these movies much, but kind of a funny tangential story. Probably 4 or 5 years ago, a group in one of my courses did a valuation project on the movie studio that owns the rights to many of the Marvel characters (I believe it was a stand alone studio owned by Marvel at the time, but it is now Disney, but not 100% sure.)

Their big take away was that it seemed implausible that they'd be able to extract any significant value from these second tier characters. (Most of the top tier characters had already been licensed away, like Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic 4, Hulk, etc.)

Anyway, with the rate of these movies coming out, I think it is fair to say that they've found a way to make money with some of their minor characters.

When they turned Guardians of the Galaxy -- which has never risen above D-level stuff in the comics -- into a summer tentpole, I figured they'd cracked the code.

We live in a world where kids are fans of Rocket Raccoon and Groot. The mind boggles.

Meanwhile WB/DC can't make a movie where Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman click on-screen. Yet Disney knows how to make a talking rodent and a tree that says three words into box office gold.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2016, 06:31 AM
We saw it with our two teen boys and all of us enjoyed it. Sure, some of the plot was a little awkward but I wasn't expecting a lot in that dept.

The action scene with Ant-man and Spidey was especially pretty fun. We don't do 3D movies either so I'm glad our theater had both choices.

hubba hubba

berserk87
05-11-2016, 09:02 AM
When they turned Guardians of the Galaxy -- which has never risen above D-level stuff in the comics -- into a summer tentpole, I figured they'd cracked the code.

We live in a world where kids are fans of Rocket Raccoon and Groot. The mind boggles.

Meanwhile WB/DC can't make a movie where Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman click on-screen. Yet Disney knows how to make a talking rodent and a tree that says three words into box office gold.

Hilarious!

Post of the day.

ultraman6970
05-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Wait til you see her in "Ghost in the Shell".

hubba hubba

Fivethumbs
05-12-2016, 12:16 AM
I wanted some back story on Black Panther but there was none. He just showed up with superhuman powers and no explanation.

tuxbailey
05-12-2016, 12:29 AM
I loved it. But I am a huge Marvel Comics geek.

We have a tradition in my family that started with my son (my oldest child) about 10 years ago, in which we see each new Marvel movie on the night that it opens.

We have since added my youngest child (she is 11 now) to the crew. We have missed a couple of opening night-ers over the years (i.e. Ant Man - which we now own on DVD), but for the most part the tradition is solid.

I didn't like yet another reboot of Spider Man, in concept. In practice, the new Spidey was pretty great. Not sure why all of the do-overs with the Spider Man story. Maybe just a drive for more cash, with a proven formula?

I enjoyed Superman Vs. Batman, but did not "love" it. I though that the first 45 minutes was kind of a slow drag though. I will second the opinion that the Wonder Woman character made the movie - she carried the fight in the big battle scene.

Here's hoping that the new X-men movie is entertaining.

Very cool. I hope the 11 year old didn't see Deadpool on opening night... great movie, not for kids :)