PDA

View Full Version : OT: Korea vs. Switzerland

goonster
06-23-2006, 04:42 PM
*Spoilers within*

(scroll)

(scroll)

Korea were up to their usual thing. Lots of pressure and purposeful tackling, only to end up at the edge of the box with no idea what to do next.

The second goal was moot, since Korea needed two anyway, and didn't score any. Props to the Koreans, who made their misgivings known and then got on with the game, even handing the ball back politely in the closing stages when calls went against them. That's the way to do it folks. (*cough* Portugal *cough*)

I got the sense they didn't want it badly enough. Like I've said before, this is a team without strikers, without a commanding central midfield player, and therefore no established way to score. To win they have to outhustle their opponents 120%, and today they gave 85%, maybe. The 50/50 balls just didn't seem to fall their way today.

It's a shame too, because Korea are the only team whose lips I can read consistently. It helps that the repertoire of obscenities is pretty limited in the Korean language, making it a matter of picking A, B or C. :D

Switzerland? Meh. Korea disrupted the form they showed against Togo pretty easily. Frei is a decent chap, but hardly showed a killer touch today. Senderos may be out with the arm injury. OK, I'm biased, coming from the other side of the mountains, and having spent my childhood rooting against their skiers. :banana:

On the one hand, there are long faces at chez Goonster tonight. :butt:

On the other hand, the prospect of some of these knockout round matchups is truly mouthwatering. :banana:

catulle
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=goonster
It's a shame too, because Korea are the only team whose lips I can read consistently. It helps that the repertoire of obscenities is pretty limited in the Korean language, making it a matter of picking A, B or C. :D
QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm a foreigner and all and I must ask: Is it Korea are the only team, or is it Korea is the only team? Thank you so much for the clarification, atmo.

zeroking17
06-23-2006, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=goonster
QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm a foreigner and all and I must ask: Is it Korea are the only team, or is it Korea is the only team? Thank you so much for the clarification, atmo.

It depends on whether you sing "Hail to the Chief" or "God Save the Queen." In other words, which side of the pond are you on.

catulle
06-23-2006, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=zeroking17][QUOTE=catulle]

It depends on whether you sing "Hail to the Chief" or "God Save the Queen." In other words, which side of the pond are you on.
QUOTE]

Really? Are you serious? Isn't there a rule or something? That's really tough for me, atmo. Hell, I'm almost in the middle of the pond.

zeroking17
06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=zeroking17][QUOTE=catulle]

QUOTE]

Really? Are you serious?

Es verdad, hermanito.

P.S. How does that saying go?..."England and USA are two countries separated by a common language."

catulle
06-23-2006, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=catulle][QUOTE=zeroking17]
Es verdad, hermanito.
P.S. How does that saying go?..."England and USA are two countries separated by a common language."

Qué curioso. Mil gracias, brother.

zeroking17
06-23-2006, 06:05 PM
=<SNIP>
On the other hand, the prospect of some of these knockout round matchups is truly mouthwatering. :banana:

I'm with you on that. I can't wait for the knockout round! What a grand way to start a Saturday in front of the tv.

Good luck to all of your teams.