PDA

View Full Version : Custom cycling shoes

Cicli
05-10-2016, 06:44 AM
So,
I have tried every shoe and nothing is just right.
I am thinking of customs. D2 sponsors the forum and naturally I would go there but before plunking down is there something else I should look at?
Thoughts on custom shoes?

djg21
05-10-2016, 08:33 AM
http://redkiteprayer.com/2016/05/a-visit-to-the-cobbler/

I'm very biased: Don and I have been friends for over 25 years. But no, there is nothing better. Defer to him on all questions of fit; call him and talk to him about any difficulties you're having. Note that D2 moved its facility to LA recently.

Assuming that you're not near LA, the fit process isn't difficult to do yourself with the assistance of a friend. Don uses the Amfit system, and the instructions he provides with the crush box are easy to follow. Watch the video too. http://www.d2shoe.com/fitkit.php

You also can have him do a video fit by Skype. I've done a bunch of fits for friends, and I still prefer to have Don participate remotely just for peace of mind. I use an iPad trained on the feet of the person being fit so Don can watch remotely and guide me through the entire process and make sure I don't **** anything up (which is difficult to do). If you are anxious about doing the fit yourself, this is the way to go. It works very nicely and gives you some comfort.

My current pair of D2s are still in great shape and I got them in 2006. They must have more than 50,000 miles on them by now. My new pair are in the process of being built! They are well made and last! You will not find better shoes.

Here are some other links:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/custom-feet-d2s-fanatically-fit-superfly-shoes-3/#.VzHlp9T3arU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhEHVZwsoQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eJAbG2HqOX8

Alan
05-10-2016, 09:29 AM
I am leaning toward D2 as well. Their pricing is reasonable considering current pricing for shoes + orthotics which would be 3-400 + 300 = 6-700 for commercial shoes + orthtotics. I had some of his Lamson shoes a long time ago and still use them for spinning classes.

Eager to hear from others on this.

Alan

BSBD
05-10-2016, 09:31 AM
I've had a good experience with Riivo. I've posted about it on here before.

BdaGhisallo
05-10-2016, 09:34 AM
I have quirky feet with my big toe significantly shorter than the second toe. That means my first metarsal is rearward of where it really should be. Shoes that would accomodate the total length of my foot would have the cleat bolts too far forward for me to get the cleats where I wanted them.

I got my first pair of D2 shoes in the fall of 2012, and they were a god send. They are easily the best money I have ever spent on anything to do with cycling. I have since acquired five more pairs in different styles.

They are that good. Don will set you right.

Geoff in Bermuda

David Kirk
05-10-2016, 09:41 AM
I'm a huge proponent of custom shoes for those not lucky enough to just buy some off-the-shelf shoes and end up happy. I have a pair of D2's and they fit and work as well today as they did nearly 10 years ago when I got them - which is to say wonderfully.

Worth every cent.

dave

FlashUNC
05-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Having seen Rocket 7's in person at NAHBS and hearing nothing but good things about D2, its something I'm kicking around next time I'm in the market for new shoes.

05-10-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm riding D2's on the track and love them. No particular foot or fit problems here, but wanted a specialized shoe for match sprinting with some specific pedals. The construction quality is absolutely first rate and Don will tweak your fit until it's perfect. His shoes of a few years ago were heavier than the competition, but he's lightened them up without compromising quality. I have two pairs. I've crashed in one pair three or four times but you wouldn't know it from looking at them. Really good shoes. You can make them pretty bling but fundamentally he makes relatively conservative, durable, well fitting shoes. They don't change every year but they don't need to. On the road I've ridden Specialized S-works, top-end Giros, and so on. I'm riding Fizik R1's on the road right now in last year's design with ratchet strap and velcro rather than Boa, but chose them because they seem to have emulated many of Don's designs. Very comfortable and well made shoes. But if you have any special needs, I totally recommend Don. Custom shoes don't come better.

A couple team mates have Riivo's, and while they fit them well, I don't think they are the construction quality of D2's. I've seen a lot of Rocket 7's and while some sponsored riders have some really nice ones, I've seen a lot of pretty poor ones too. There are better choices.

John H.
05-10-2016, 11:18 AM
You might tell us more about your feet for an informed opinion.
I think that D2 shoes can work- and they are great shoes (and I even have a pair)- but you may want to try other options.
Unless of course you have tried them all.
1.) How would you describe you feet
Width
Width at forefoot/toe box?
Arch- and does arch hold or flatten?
Instep height
Any hotspots?
Ar both feet the same?
2.) Do you wear supportive insoles in your shoes now?
What kind?
3.) What shoes do you wear?
Are they sized tight or loose?
What problems do you have with your feet because of the shoes?
4.) What other shoes have you already tried?

Cicli
05-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Well,
I have a pair of D2's in the works. So far the process has been super. Very good communication. Let the process begin.

Ryun
05-11-2016, 07:17 PM
I have pretty wide feet and high arches.
D2s have been great and very durable. They are a bit costly but still cheaper than rolling few a few high end pairs to find something that fits.
There is a pretty good wait on D2 shoes so dont expect them quickly

kitsnob
05-11-2016, 07:50 PM
+1 to Don @ D2

I have wide, funky, flat feet along with a few fit issues and wear orthotics in my dress shoes.
Don has built 3 pairs for me. Going back to the white Lamson shoes with the purple straps - the ONLY shoe he made back then.
For my last pair, I actually made the trip to Eagle for a personal fitting and casting. I was also confirming my fit metrics for my custom Alchemy Xanthus so I also made the trip to the factory on the same junket.
If and when I had an issue with my D2's, Don always stood behind them and make the necessary corrections. Great guy to work with and a great knowledge base with a wealth of info - pick his brain!
Now, with him in an LA suburb (if you can call Tunjuga a suburb) he's even closer! Try to make the trip out and if you do, bring your bika. You won't be sorry!
The price is well worth it.. Remember, the 3 main contact points: ass, hands, feet!
You wont be disappointed with his craftsmanship.