PDA

View Full Version : Mini tool recommendations

sam.g
04-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Anyone care to recommend a mini tool set? I've been dragging around the relatively light weight (160gm) Crank Bros. Multi-17 which contains a chain tool and have been wondering if it's really necessary to include a chain tool with any mini tool set. I've never had to repair a chain on the road and if I did, how would I break off the end of a new pin for a Shimano chain without pliers?

Which tools are really necessary on the road other than a few hex wrenches and tire levers? I'd like a minimalist light weight set rather than a swiss army knive of useless gadgets.

Sam

JohnS
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Sorry, double entry!

JohnS
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM
I carry the Park SwissArmy-type with the 3 hex heads and the blade and Phillips screwdrivers and two tire levers. It's all I've ever needed.

Kevan
04-02-2004, 11:21 AM
in the 5, or better, years I've been carrying that tool around in my bag it's saved my rides twice. Once my bike's hyper-link popped and disappeared into the pavement and other time someone else's rear derailleur busted, requiring us to change his bike into a single-speed. I have a Topeak tool set that came in a little cloth pack. I'm not sure it's still available cuz the design of these things is always evolving.

I also keep in that pack a piece of clothes hanger wire which has been cut about 4' long and two hooks bent inward facing each other. It serves as a third hand, and holds each end of a strung chain together to ease repairs.

JohnS
04-02-2004, 12:52 PM
were you ever a Boy Scout? :)

victoryfactory
04-02-2004, 01:15 PM
I think you do need a chain tool (although I don't always practice what I preach)
I have Definitely saved my own (and other's) bacon out there on long rides when my chain snapped. Especially important nowadays with the thinner 10 speed chains.

When I go out all "tooled up" , my kit consists of a small Park chain tool and one of those Park open end multi wrenches.Very useful, very light, very small.

Victory Factory

Kevan
04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Yup! And here's another helpful tip:

Using your two tire levers, rubbing them together, does a great job starting a fire.

csb
04-02-2004, 02:34 PM

froze
04-02-2004, 07:21 PM
I don't know which is best but I liked the Park MTB3, it seems to have must of the tools you would likely need on a ride except for pliers which I carry a mini Leatherman type from Eddie Bauer I found at Target for $12. I also carry tire irons and a device called the VAR to assist putting on the last section of tire if needed (the Armadillos need it bad).

sharky
04-02-2004, 08:48 PM
topeak toolbar is my favorite, about$20 and 68g