PDA

View Full Version : What's the best trainer tire?

ceolwulf
05-09-2016, 11:32 PM
My trainer setup vibrates at higher speed and I'm pretty sure it's the fault of the cheap Kenda trainer tire. Which trainer tires do you guys use and recommend?

bewheels
05-10-2016, 01:36 AM
I use tires that fall out of outdoor riding rotation rather than buying a tire for the trainer. Provided it doesn't have any flat spots or other serious issues.

jwess1234
05-10-2016, 01:40 AM
Best trainer tire = the road tire that has a few slices and you are thinking of retiring (if you have to ask, the answer is yes, time for a new tire... not worth chancing it descending at 40mph plus).

I've had a trainer specific tire (Tacx blue one) that was pretty rigid, not completely round and made a pretty bad vibration on my Kurt Kinetic Fluid trainer. Switched to an old sliced up Conti 4 season and there was basically no vibration.

Ozrider
05-10-2016, 05:26 AM
I use a Conti Trainer Tyre mounted on a cheaper wheel, been going strong for over 5 years with zero issues.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom

R3awak3n
05-10-2016, 06:35 AM
Same answer for me. Old tire, rite now is a pasela.

Can't wait till next trainer season, ai will be buying a wahoo, no more tire crap.

572cv
05-10-2016, 07:22 AM
My most amazingly durable ( now ancient) ProRace2's spent the better part of two seasons on the road and all winter on rollers or my old lemond. Hard to find the wear on them. Your used road tires on a trainer= good way to get the value out of your tire bucks.

ceolwulf
05-10-2016, 07:43 AM
I would do the same but I only ride 25s and my trainer doesn't fit bigger than 23s (Tacx Vortex). Maybe will ask around if anyone has a worn out 23, otherwise buy a Conti I guess. Thanks all. And yeah I can't wait till I can afford to upgrade to a Kickr.

chiasticon
05-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Can't wait till next trainer season
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

Mzilliox
05-10-2016, 09:26 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

exactly my thoughts, haha:cool:

sw3759
05-10-2016, 04:20 PM
i've used the both vittoria and conti trainer tires.they were a revelation compared to using normal road tires on the trainer,the heat destroys those pretty quickly.no more flats,noise or tire slippage and from what i can tell they really never wear out.i use a dedicated trainer bike so i never change to normal tires but they are super easy to mount.cant tell any difference in the 2 other than color.so get whatever matches your bike i suppose.red vittoria,orange conti or blue schwalbe

Benneke
05-10-2016, 04:52 PM
I use a Vittoria trainer tire that has lasted years. Its substantially quieter than any normal road tire and it never slips.

DFORD
05-10-2016, 05:57 PM
My trainer setup vibrates at higher speed and I'm pretty sure it's the fault of the cheap Kenda trainer tire. Which trainer tires do you guys use and recommend?

the conti trainer tire will last forever but any old tire, preferably >23mm with 80psi should work.

purpurite
05-10-2016, 06:53 PM
I used the Conti trainer tire all winter and it generated no heat, didn't wear at all and was very quiet. Worked great.

Hank Scorpio
05-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Not the cyclops one! I have one that i have used two seasons on a Kurt kinetic and a Snap this year and it is bumpy as heck. I guess it is from heat?

Also

Do people release the tension on the tire when not in use? Not the air inside the tire but taking a turn off on the roller tension knob is what I meant.

R3awak3n
05-10-2016, 07:26 PM

lol, yeah that did not come out the way it should have. I hate the trainer just so we are clear :p

shovelhd
05-11-2016, 06:58 AM
I have the Tacx blue trainer tire. One thing you have to be aware of is that it has a very stiff sidewall and bead, so it's easy to mount it unevenly on the rim. This causes a hop. Take your time mounting it and it's smooth as silk. I do have to pump it to 120psi to avoid slippage at high wattage. Before this I used an old Rubino Pro but it shed rubber making a mess of my trainer. No thanks.