PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike recommendation?

BobbyJones
05-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Expecting to spend some time wandering this summer and looking to add a mountain bike to the line up- my 32's can only take me so far.

I'm at a bit of a loss on what I should even look for..I suppose i'd say I'd like an all-arounder: NE single track, Long days on gravel & jeep roads out west, suitable for bike packing use... and so on.

Any suggestions that Paceliners can make in the sub-$2k category?

bmeryman
05-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Salsa El Mariachi. Nicely appointed, alternator dropouts, happy "average" geometry. From one of biggest brand proponents of adventuring!

ofcounsel
05-09-2016, 08:48 PM
If you're looking for an all-rounder full-suspension bike, this one is pretty hard to beat this Breezer Supercell 29 at $2000. 120mm of travel.. Nice balance between cross-country/light trail attributes with the travel and geometry.

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Breezer/Breezer-Supercell-Team-29er-Mountain-Bike.axd

stephenmarklay
05-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Salsa El Mariachi. Nicely appointed, alternator dropouts, happy "average" geometry. From one of biggest brand proponents of adventuring!

That is what I bought last year. Super fun.

Schmed
05-09-2016, 08:58 PM

I concur. Not too expensive, not going to hold you back, steel. Bike-packable.

Unless you want to try something like a Fargo.

gdw
05-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Another vote for the El Mariachi. If you're planning to get into bikepacking go with a hardball. Full suspension bikes are great for general riding but most aren't capable of carry very much gear.

stephenmarklay
05-09-2016, 09:22 PM
I have used my El Mariachi for real mountain biking, and up to 50 miles of mixed road/gravel. It is just a great all around bike.

ofcounsel
05-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Another vote for the El Mariachi. If you're planning to get into bikepacking go with a hardball. Full suspension bikes are great for general riding but most aren't capable of carry very much gear.

I'm not so quick to dismiss a full-sus bike for bikepacking. First, a $2000 full suspension alu bike is going to be about the same weight as the steel framed Salsa. Second, a full suspension bike is hands down, more capable and more more comfortable over the long haul. Third, you can add racks like the Tule Pack n' Pedal to the front fork and the rear triangle of virtually any rear suspension bike. https://www.rei.com/product/870829/thule-pack-n-pedal-tour-bike-rack?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8708290001&CAWELAID=120217890000861285&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

And then you have a much more capable, useful all-rounder for the times you're not bikepacking.

Here's another full-sus all-rounder that's a great deal for the price: Intense Spider 275 http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bikes/Intense-Spider-275A-Foundation-Bike-2015?cs=Silver

Tony
05-09-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm not so quick to dismiss a full-sus bike for bikepacking. First, a $2000 full suspension alu bike is going to be about the same weight as the steel framed Salsa. Second, a full suspension bike is hands down, more capable and more more comfortable over the long haul. Third, you can add racks like the Tule Pack n' Pedal to the front fork and the rear triangle of virtually any rear suspension bike. https://www.rei.com/product/870829/thule-pack-n-pedal-tour-bike-rack?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8708290001&CAWELAID=120217890000861285&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

And then you have a much more capable, useful all-rounder for the times you're not bikepacking.

Here's another full-sus all-rounder that's a great deal for the price: Intense Spider 275 http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bikes/Intense-Spider-275A-Foundation-Bike-2015?cs=Silver

I recommended this same bike from Jenson to a friend. He's been on a old school 26er hardtail forever. He received it last Friday, we're going riding tomorrow.
BTW, able to get the Spider for $2000

ofcounsel
05-10-2016, 12:29 AM
I recommended this same bike from Jenson to a friend. He's been on a old school 26er hardtail forever. He received it last Friday, we're going riding tomorrow.
BTW, able to get the Spider for $2000

Wow! Nice!!! I demo'ed on a few months ago and it ticked all the right boxes for me. My buddy owns an Intense Carbine 27.5 and a Spider 29. They're also nice.

cinema
05-10-2016, 12:46 AM
the el mariachi would excel at all of those things. if you're looking for a full suspension, try a short travel one, like the kona process 111 or a santa cruz superlight. I have a source with a lightly used 2015 el mariachi in large i think. friend bought it for a trip that he never ended up taking. giant trance is also great.

jwess1234
05-10-2016, 01:43 AM
I'd go full suspension where you can lockout the front and rear shocks, but some "purists" will say learn on a hardtail and you will be forced to develop better skills.

peanutgallery
05-10-2016, 06:17 AM
I have several mtb rigs, including a el mariachi. Great all around and it can be configured a bunch of different ways. Great choice

Closeout full suspension on the interwebs? Ponder for a moment as to why its on sale? Avid brakes, wonky design, bad sizing, cruddy fork, etc.

I thought we were supposed to be discerning enthusiasts:)

christian
05-10-2016, 06:45 AM
I see it entirely opposite. The Mariachi is fine for what it is, but the Intense is an actual mountain bike. Sure, the specs are a bit lower to hit the price point, but the X Fusion fork and SLX bits and Shimano brakes are fine. It could use a better wheel set and it needs a dropper post, but I'd pick it 100% of the time over a 29er hard tail if could only have one mountain bike.

peanutgallery
05-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Hardtails are what make you tough but a full squish is actually fun to ride:)

At that point you might as well get a specialized camber comp off the floor for $2500, and free shipping

I see it entirely opposite. The Mariachi is fine for what it is, but the Intense is an actual mountain bike. Sure, the specs are a bit lower to hit the price point, but the X Fusion fork and SLX bits and Shimano brakes are fine. It could use a better wheel set and it needs a dropper post, but I'd pick it 100% of the time over a 29er hard tail if could only have one mountain bike.

christian
05-10-2016, 07:59 AM
Camber Comp 27.5 is pretty great actually. Revelation RC3 is a decent enough fork (I have a Revelation RCT3 on my 5010CC) and X7 drivetrain and Deore brakes is a good combo. I would swap out for X1 eventually (I am loving the X1 drivetrain on my Reign Advanced) and it obviously needs a dropper post, but I agree with you - the Camber Comp 27.5 is probably the one of the best buys for a serious mountain biker on a budget. For the Northeast especially, I think a 130mm bike is perfect. My 5010cc is really fun, whereas my Reign is almost too much bike for most of the local trails.

p nut
05-10-2016, 08:19 AM
Do you want a FS or HT? People prefer different things. I went from a HT to FS about 10 years ago. After a couple of seasons, just didn't jive with my style of riding. Now the only mountain bike I've got is a rigid 29er.

Whichever platform you choose, I'd advise to demo some Plus bikes as well. Friend of mine just bought a Hightower 27.5 Plus and loves it. Most bike shops should have demos of FS and HT Plus bikes.

ofcounsel
05-10-2016, 09:19 AM
I have several mtb rigs, including a el mariachi. Great all around and it can be configured a bunch of different ways. Great choice

Closeout full suspension on the interwebs? Ponder for a moment as to why its on sale? Avid brakes, wonky design, bad sizing, cruddy fork, etc.

I thought we were supposed to be discerning enthusiasts:)

Discerning enthusiasts keying in on OP's budget.

ofcounsel
05-10-2016, 09:31 AM
At that point you might as well get a specialized camber comp off the floor for $2500, and free shipping

Camber Comp 27.5 is pretty great actually. Revelation RC3 is a decent enough fork (I have a Revelation RCT3 on my 5010CC) and X7 drivetrain and Deore brakes is a good combo. I would swap out for X1 eventually (I am loving the X1 drivetrain on my Reign Advanced) and it obviously needs a dropper post, but I agree with you - the Camber Comp 27.5 is probably the one of the best buys for a serious mountain biker on a budget. For the Northeast especially, I think a 130mm bike is perfect.

Whichever platform you choose, I'd advise to demo some Plus bikes as well.

I also agree. The Specialized Camber Comp is a very solid choice at the $2500 price point. About the only place I wouldn't take a bike like that is a downhill bike park.

As p nut says, if you end up considering a Full-Squish bike, take the time to do some demos before purchasing, if you can. You will find that the characteristics of the rear suspension in particular vary greatly from brand to brand and from model to model.

christian
05-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Expecting to spend some time wandering this summer and looking to add a mountain bike to the line up- my 32's can only take me so far.

I'm at a bit of a loss on what I should even look for..I suppose i'd say I'd like an all-arounder: NE single track, Long days on gravel & jeep roads out west, suitable for bike packing use... and so on.

If I remember correctly, you are in New York. While I stand by my recommendation of a Specialized Camber Comp, I think you'd benefit from riding a few bikes.

If you can make it up to northern Westchester on a weekend, I could offer you a few hours demoing on a Santa Cruz 5010cc (130mm XC/trail bike) and a Giant Reign (160mm travel All-mountain/Enduro bike). While both of those bikes are outside your price range, I think they'd give you a good sense of current dual suspension bikes and help you decide whether you think they are cool or whether they are way more complicated than you want in a bike. And whether you agree with me that 130mm travel is the right amount for the Northeast.

I typically ride at Graham Hills in Pleasantville and Blue Mountain in Peekskill.

ofcounsel
05-10-2016, 10:19 AM
If I remember correctly, you are in New York. While I stand by my recommendation of a Specialized Camber Comp, I think you'd benefit from riding a few bikes.

If you can make it up to northern Westchester on a weekend, I could offer you a few hours demoing on a Santa Cruz 5010cc (130mm XC/trail bike) and a Giant Reign (160mm travel All-mountain/Enduro bike). While both of those bikes are outside your price range, I think they'd give you a good sense of current dual suspension bikes and help you decide whether you think they are cool or whether they are way more complicated than you want in a bike. And whether you agree with me that 130mm travel is the right amount for the Northeast.

I typically ride at Graham Hills in Pleasantville and Blue Mountain in Peekskill.

I'd take him up on this!!

whateveronfire
05-10-2016, 10:25 AM
2015 Salsa Spearfishes can be had for a really good price right now. I had an El Mar and prefer the Spearfish. If you want to bike pack, I'd go El Mar. I've got a Pugsley for bike packing.

Salsa has a great line-up with good specs and reasonable prices.

DFORD
05-10-2016, 06:07 PM

EL Mar is nice. IMO a Flash or a Specialized hardtail is a better value, slightly. MTB is one to get from your LBS if you like them, there will be some maintenance.

BobbyJones
05-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Guys- Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like I'm going to spend some time at some bike shops because I really don't have a clue whether or not I want suspension (I'd think so). The bikepacking need isn't a primary one so its not a dealbreaker regardless of the possibilites.

I'm on the short side with an even shorter inseam (I ride a 50cm on the road) so as much as I appreciate your offer Christian, I just don't think the test rides are gonna fly.

Which leads me to my next question: I'm seeing 29er's and 27.5's, is 26 dead? I've been cruising around on some city/commuter style bikes with 29's and they just seem so cumbersome. (except the one with the motor!)

Is this something you just get used to?

Thanks Again Paceline!

peanutgallery
05-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Dead? Moldering in the grave:) hard pressed to even find a 26 inch tire at the bike shop

Ride both, in the Northeast and mid atlantic, 29ers are king. The geometry and fit is way better than in the past, particularly on the smaller sizes. 29ers get you way neutral on the bike on the bike but you can roll lots of obstacles and you get great traction. Better for rolling dirt roads too

650b is coming around but it still feels more like a 26, you have to be more aggressive to maintain momentum in the woods and rocks than on a 29er. This is what I don't like on a 26, once you get that neutral feel and confidence in the rough there's no going back. Don't let the 29er wheel size fool you, modern bikes in smaller sizes from first tier companies are fitting the elves really well. Check out a specialized, trek or giant (650 ONLY I think) - you'll have a mind numbing number of choices for both hardtail and full suspension. Don't get hung up on cross country bikes either, 140 and 120mm trail bikes are quiye capable across a pretty broad spectrum of uses.

Biggest thing, have fun

Guys- Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like I'm going to spend some time at some bike shops because I really don't have a clue whether or not I want suspension (I'd think so). The bikepacking need isn't a primary one so its not a dealbreaker regardless of the possibilites.

I'm on the short side with an even shorter inseam (I ride a 50cm on the road) so as much as I appreciate your offer Christian, I just don't think the test rides are gonna fly.

Which leads me to my next question: I'm seeing 29er's and 27.5's, is 26 dead? I've been cruising around on some city/commuter style bikes with 29's and they just seem so cumbersome. (except the one with the motor!)

Thanks Again Paceline!

ofcounsel
05-11-2016, 02:27 PM
I'm seeing 29er's and 27.5's, is 26 dead? I've been cruising around on some city/commuter style bikes with 29's and they just seem so cumbersome. (except the one with the motor!)

Thanks Again Paceline!

In terms of unused, new bikes, yeah, 26" is dead. I agree with peanut gallery that modern 29ers are very good these days. Not much need to get used to them.

I'd say here on the west coast, 27.5"s are probably more dominant, although most all my friends (and myself) ride 29ers. 120-130mm travel range, with slightly slacker head tube angles and slightly longer top tubes does seem to be the sweet spot these days for both 27.5 and 29" wheels.

purpurite
05-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Dead? Moldering in the grave:) hard pressed to even find a 26 inch tire at the bike shop

And yet, the majority of bikes sold globally are 26" wheeled bikes (and many full DH rigs are still on 26s). Don't bet on the 26ers to vanish completely anytime soon.

For enthusiasts? It's been back-burnered by a bike industry who wants to sell new everything to a public who will lap up every last drop. There is nothing wrong with the hoards of 5-year old 26ers flooding CraigsList, either. It won't ever completely go away, there are still plenty of tires being made, and it will eventually magically re-appear someday as a "660" wheelset that will revolutionize mountain biking. :rolleyes:

nmrt
05-11-2016, 02:46 PM
I agree that 29er have come a long way since their introduction. With their "modern" geometry they do not feel as cumbersome. However, I absolutely disagree that they are as nimble and maneuverable as a 26er. I own a Ibis Ripley and and have ridden a Pivot Mach 429c extensively. I feel that these two 29er bikes feel most like a 26er. But they are far from replicating the nimble feel of a 26er. I own a 26er (A Ti black sheep) and the Ripley and when I ride them back to back and the difference in handling is enormous. While my 26er feels like a lotus elise the Ripley feels like a BMW M5 (btw, I've driven neither). But you do get my metaphor.

So, is my 26er a better bike than the Ripley? Yes -- but only in two categories: 1) The 26er is lighter 2) it is more nimble and playful.

But the Ripley is amazing in other aspects -- it is fast, stable, and makes for an all day comfortable riding partner. I have to say that when I do a back to back comparison between the Ripley and my 26er, the difference in handling a amazing. But once on the ripley for five minutes, i forget the 26er and my Ripley and I become one.

In my opinion, you should not run and buy a 29er or a 27.5. Look at local CL and try out some carbon Specialized Epic or Stumpy (26ers). Also, look at the Trek Fuel EX (26er). These are some really amazing playful bikes.

And last, if you want a hardtail 29er, I'd say simply buy an Ibis Tranny. It the most most playful hardtail 29er I have ever ridden!
In terms of unused, new bikes, yeah, 26" is dead. I agree with peanut gallery that modern 29ers are very good these days. Not much need to get used to them.

I'd say here on the west coast, 27.5"s are probably more dominant, although most all my friends (and myself) ride 29ers. 120-130mm travel range, with slightly slacker head tube angles and slightly longer top tubes does seem to be the sweet spot these days for both 27.5 and 29" wheels.

peanutgallery
05-11-2016, 02:56 PM
that global number is pushed by Huffys and the like, downhill is a real limited number.

I would run, not walk, as far and as fast as I could from any 26 inch wheeled bike of that age. Particularly full-suspension. Wheel size aside, the quality of everything hanging on it it has progressed just as much as the 29er geometry. Fork quality, pivot quality, tubeless wheel options and those magic little things hanging off the back the now have a clutch. And I thought I was having fun with v-brakes, 26 inch wheels and 1.95 tires. I must have hit my head:)

And yet, the majority of bikes sold globally are 26" wheeled bikes (and many full DH rigs are still on 26s). Don't bet on the 26ers to vanish completely anytime soon.

For enthusiasts? It's been back-burnered by a bike industry who wants to sell new everything to a public who will lap up every last drop. There is nothing wrong with the hoards of 5-year old 26ers flooding CraigsList, either. It won't ever completely go away, there are still plenty of tires being made, and it will eventually magically re-appear someday as a "660" wheelset that will revolutionize mountain biking. :rolleyes:

peanutgallery
05-11-2016, 02:58 PM
That's only because pot is legal on the west coast:) I have been contemplating a 650 plus, pretty sure the bike I am considering can be turned into a bong

I'd say here on the west coast, 27.5"s are probably more dominant.

tele
05-11-2016, 03:03 PM
To the OP, I'm about the same size, ride a 52cm ish road bike. I'm finding a 27.5 to be where it is at for me in New England. I rode a 26" back in the day, tried a 29er for a summer and settled on the middle for most of the tech single track where I live. I have also gotten a 27.5 fat bike, only 3.8 tire, and other than some steep hills, this thing is amazing. Demo if you can but make a smart used bike purchase and you can't go wrong.

malcolm
05-11-2016, 03:05 PM

Thanks Again Paceline!

For all practical purposes 26 is dead. My main bike right now is a 27.5 Ti hard tail with a lefty fork and I love it, but my home turf is pretty rocky and rooty and rides over a couple hours it starts to beat me up.
I had never been a fan of 29 full sus bikes. They always felt like I was sitting up on a bar stool or something. With the several recent mtn bikes discussions here and from talking to friends I gave them another shot and rode several, ibis, pivot and yeti. Well long story short I've got a new used Pivot mach 429 incoming.

The pivot and the ibis ridley were both amazing bikes and I picked the pivot simply because I found a used one in good shape for a decent price.
I was amazed by the bikes they handle almost as good as my 26 turner flux and roll over stuff noticeably better than my 27.5. So I don't know if I've changed or the bikes have but the new full sus 29ers are amazing.

gdw
05-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Test ride as many hardtails and full suspension bikes as possible and talk with some local mountain bikers before making a decision. This thread has some good advice but what works for us might not be the best choice for your local trails.

PS - Ignore the guys pushing 29ers and 27.5" bikes, the kool kids are now on 27.5"+ bikes.

ofcounsel
05-11-2016, 03:19 PM
I had never been a fan of 29 full sus bikes. They always felt like I was sitting up on a bar stool or something. With the several recent mtn bikes discussions here and from talking to friends I gave them another shot and rode several, ibis, pivot and yeti. Well long story short I've got a new used Pivot mach 429 incoming.

The pivot and the ibis ridley were both amazing bikes and I picked the pivot simply because I found a used one in good shape for a decent price.
I was amazed by the bikes they handle almost as good as my 26 turner flux and roll over stuff noticeably better than my 27.5. So I don't know if I've changed or the bikes have but the new full sus 29ers are amazing.

You won't regret the Mach 429. Here's mine!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/FullSizeRender8_zps48suecro.jpg

This bike handles about 90% of my riding (pretty much everything except lift assisted, bike park stuff). After picking this one up last year , my Niner Air 9 RDO hardtail has been basically collecting dust.

DrSpoke
05-11-2016, 04:53 PM
You won't regret the Mach 429. Here's mine!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/FullSizeRender8_zps48suecro.jpg

This bike handles about 90% of my riding (pretty much everything except lift assisted, bike park stuff). After picking this one up last year , my Niner Air 9 RDO hardtail has been basically collecting dust.

I've got one too. I'm 5'8" and have been beating on mine for 2 1/2 years. Tons of abuse and keeps coming back for more. I can't imagine a better bike though I suppose they are out there - mostly due to upgrades by Pivot :)

Benneke
05-11-2016, 05:41 PM
I would suggest finding a hardtail 29er. Full suspension bikes under 2k will be either very heavy or outdated. 29ers are the best wheel size for hardtails, they ride much smoother.

Check out used bikes with 2x10 drivetrain, you will want the extra gear range if you will be riding fire roads. You can find great deals on used hardtails, I recently sold my 2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er with SRAM X0 for $1300 and it weighed under 22 lbs.

ofcounsel
05-11-2016, 05:58 PM
I would suggest finding a hardtail 29er. Full suspension bikes under 2k will be either very heavy or outdated. 29ers are the best wheel size for hardtails, they ride much smoother.

Regarding full suspicion, not necessarily. You just have to shop around. I provided two links as examples to some very modern and relatively light weight bikes at the outset of this thread.

And 2x10's are nice, but 1x11's also provide plenty of gear range.... My 28T chainring, combined with the 42T granny gearing is as low as a 2x10 26T chainring/36T cog combo. You lose out on the top end with a 1x11 28T chainring, but unless you're racing, I'm not sure that bigger gears to go 25mph+ on flats is reality when on dirt, so more top end isn't really needed. When was the last time you topped out your 2x10 gearing??

But I'm on board with the notion that if you're going with a hardtail, 29" is the way to go.

BobbyJones
05-27-2016, 05:03 PM
Guys-

Thanks for all that chimed in. I walked into a shop here in the city, promptly forgot everything you guys suggested and ended up with a decision to get a Specialized Camber. Happy to see it was a common suggestion on this thread

Not a done deal yet, no 650b's in stock, but we'll see what next week brings. Guess I'll see you on the trails soon.

peanutgallery
05-27-2016, 08:01 PM
You won't regret it. Great ride at a great price. Good mix of parts

I have yet to have to rebuild the pivots in one and it works great. Like a waterbed in the woods. Have fun

Guys-

Thanks for all that chimed in. I walked into a shop here in the city, promptly forgot everything you guys suggested and ended up with a decision to get a Specialized Camber. Happy to see it was a common suggestion on this thread

Not a done deal yet, no 650b's in stock, but we'll see what next week brings. Guess I'll see you on the trails soon.

christian
05-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Camber is a great choice for the riding around here.