PDA

View Full Version : OT: Desert Trip: Stones, Dylan, McCartney, Young, Waters, The Who

pdmtong
05-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Dinosaurs of Rock

Anarchist
05-09-2016, 12:47 PM
There is a point where, in my opinion, it is better to play the CD's or vinyl and listen to the music the way it was, when the artists didn't need walkers.

I would, personally, be unwilling to pay the asking price in the almost certain knowledge that it would be disappointing.

ColonelJLloyd
05-09-2016, 12:49 PM
There is a point where, in my opinion, it is better to play the CD's or vinyl and listen to the music the way it was, when the artists didn't need walkers.

Saw Neal last fall with that backing band. I don't know from first hand experience, but they sounded like Crazy Horse circa 1970. It was great.

Saw the Who just a couple weeks after Entwistle died. They were killer (not sure if Zach Starkey still tours with them).

Saw the Stones about 10 years ago at Churchill Downs about 10 years ago just to say I'd done it. I was pretty impressed by how great they sounded.

Dylan will likely just sit behind a piano, but he has a great band.

AngryScientist
05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
i have a few of the limited edition concert tshirts available in advance if anyone is interested...

https://img1.etsystatic.com/139/1/7752704/il_340x270.992416557_g69n.jpg

josephr
05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Kudos to Robert Plant turning down the $1B offer for a Led Zeppelin tour citing that he doesn't have the vocal cords anymore nor does he want to be a greatest hits jukebox. The Rolling Stones movie a few years back was back an atrocity --- they're clearly on automatic at this point. Though I'm sure Neil Young still knows how to rock! :beer:

ColonelJLloyd
05-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Kudos to Robert Plant turning down the $1B offer for a Led Zeppelin tour citing that he doesn't have the vocal cords anymore nor does he want to be a greatest hits jukebox.

True. But, he opened the aforementioned Who show I saw and it was terrible. Some sort of experimental Eastern weird nonsense; would have much preferred the greatest hits jukebox.

I'm not hating on these bands or the people who pay big bucks to see these kinda shows. Still, I do envision thousands of older, wealthy, white males smoking crap reefer with a younger second wife on their arm being the predominant demographic.

Mr. Pink
05-09-2016, 10:08 PM
I assume that one could lay down a few bets in London as to who will be the first performer that will die on or backstage. In bed back at the hotel with a groupie (RIP, Entwistle) will not count.

Louis
05-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Last fall I drove to Kansas City to see Mark Knopfler. In case anyone was wondering, he can still play the guitar. Very, very well. In fact, well enough for the entire near-sellout crowd to have an awesome time.

http://www.boston-theater.com/images/show/02292_show_portrait_large.jpg

cadence90
05-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Last fall I drove to Kansas City to see Mark Knopfler. In case anyone was wondering, he can still play the guitar. Very, very well. In fact, well enough for the entire near-sellout crowd to have an awesome time.
I bet. I think he's amazing. I'd love to see him live.

Although I haven't seen him in years, one I would love to see again is Dylan. I am really impressed by Dylan's recent work, but I do not know how that work translates now to live venues. I think he has been doing amazing stuff lately, and the grinta of the man cannot be denied.

Many, many years ago, when I was a teen, my father taught at UC Riverside. It turned out that UCR had some arrangement to be the "warm-up/tune-up" venue for bands the night before their big Los Angeles (Forum, etc.) dates.

So, I was fortunate to see Dylan, Stones, CCR, CSNY or CSN (can't recall which), Rory Gallagher, and others all play there.
Ticket price? 1 (ONE) US Dollar.
Funk/weed/sex impressions made on a young teen? Priceless.

pdmtong
05-09-2016, 11:46 PM
So, I was fortunate to see Dylan, Stones, CCR, CSNY or CSN (can't recall which), Rory Gallagher, and others all play there.
Ticket price? 1 (ONE) US Dollar. Funk/weed/sex impressions made on a young teen? Priceless.

Rory Gallagher, ELO and Jethro Tull.....way back when.

cadence90
05-10-2016, 12:26 AM
Rory Gallagher, ELO and Jethro Tull.....way back when.

Raider friend, excellent.

Rory Gallagher might still be the best live concert I have ever seen. He had total command, and yet total relaxation. Nothing was forced. Everything was genuine.

His story, talent, and charisma were amazing. His death made me cry. He was an amazing musician.

In April 2014, at the time of the auction of Gallagher's Patrick Eggle 'JS Berlin Legend' guitar, the BBC noted: "Eric Clapton credited him with ‘getting me back into the blues’. The Rolling Stones wanted him to replace Mick Taylor and when Jimi Hendrix was asked how it felt to be the world's greatest guitarist, he is reported to have said: ‘I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher’."
Edit: I just realized this:
An Asian guy and an Italian guy appreciating an Irish interpretation of American blues music that they saw played live in the United States decades ago, and still recall with fondness and appreciation.
Nice.

:beer:

pdmtong
05-10-2016, 01:12 AM
Seeing Rory was no doubt a highlight for me.
Albert Lee once as well.
CCR was the first concert I ever saw. My mom took me. She was pretty hip to modern music.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/32/92/9b/32929bb81b1371f4abd02cd05a7182c3.jpg

cadence90
05-10-2016, 01:43 AM
Bill Graham...not bad, I hear he was a pretty decent promoter. :)

You actually saw Albert Lee live? Wow, a god among gods.

My mother too. It seems we both had very cool mothers.
To quote Tom Petty (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQWzLVbs9pQ):
"Yeah, my momma was a rocker way back in '53.
Buys them old records that they sell on T.V.
I know Chuck Berry wasn't singin' that to me.

Oh, no...."

Plum Hill
05-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Albert Lee played a mini-tour in the midwest this past winter: Cafe Carpe in Ft. Atkinson, Wi.; a pizza parlor/coffee house in Milwaukee; and a winery in Chicago before doing a folk school in Kansas City.
We tried to snag him for a house concert in St. Louis but got no reply.

Waltzing down Memory Lane, I saw the Who in 1972 at the Mississippi River Festival at Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville. 32K+ in the audience. Lawn seat was a whopping $2. That was eight draft beers at the local tavern.

Saw Albert Lee in Eric Clapton's band years ago. Lee was THE gutair player that night, as Clapton was floating in his own world.

DFORD
05-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Dinosaurs of Rock

Roger Waters closing the show?? Maybe he was the only one who could stay up past 9pm.

pdmtong
05-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Roger Waters closing the show?? Maybe he was the only one who could stay up past 9pm.

I'd love to hear the promoter say to Roger and Pete, we want you to open for Roger (W).

While it's easy to rag on these dinosaurs, they are the foundations of rock.

No one goes expecting 1968. High notes can no longer be hit, but the instruments can still be played. And there is nothgin like hearing some of these songs at full concert volume.

So when you hear the syn start ripping out baba, or lisa fisher swirling before keef hammers the notes on gimme shelter, or macca saying "when I find myself in times of trouble" as only he can, those are the singular moments of the show that make it iconic. you just cannot expect the whole thing song after song to be great. they are 70yo and lead hard lives.

I saw the stones 50th because, well, it was the 50th AND it was indoors.
A long way from Mick's 35th Birthday http://www.sfae.com/index.php?pg=303272

truth is, keef mailed it in and ronnie saved him many times. and bonnie raitt blew them all off the stage during "let it bleed" master of slide guitar and all that. but there will be a moment when you go yeah....

pdmtong
05-10-2016, 08:20 PM
My mother too. It seems we both had very cool mothers.

It's sometimes hard for me to reconcile how my first-generation mom tolerated me cranking inna-gadda-da-vida while she loved lerner and lowe, rogers and hammerstein, the big bands, herb alpert TJ Brass, englebert humperdink and tom jones (as a result, yea I know and like/appreciate all those songs too).

so there I am watching the local boys done good Fogarty brothers and stu and doug at Oakland arena with my mom.

So it will be a bit of irony when we take my daughter to SF Fest on labor day weekend for the homecoming of bands. She wants to see Journey (initial inspiration is "Glee") but is now advised to listen to carlos and tommy johnston for the next few months. Oh, yea, and maurice....

enr1co
05-11-2016, 01:03 AM
Was fortunate to catch a random sighting of Albert Lee at the NAMM 2016 show in January as he was doing an interview at one of his sponsors exhibit booths, Ernie Ball. No performance at that time but just being a few feet away and feeling the vibe from such a legendary guitarist was a huge treat!

Edit: located a clip of the interview - https://youtu.be/N5HANjwjiR0

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa357/enr1co/IMG_0068.jpg

thwart
05-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Geez... when I saw the Stones back in '74, I loved it, but realized they were past their prime years.

And that is, what... 42 years ago? :help:

pdmtong
05-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Geez... when I saw the Stones back in '74, I loved it, but realized they were past their prime years. And that is, what... 42 years ago? :help:

at least you saw them indoors on the star shaped stage, right?
arguably anything past the peak of beggars, bleed, exile and sticky is all downhill

dancinkozmo
05-11-2016, 02:28 PM
....this event proudly sponsored by the good folks at:

http://www.theincontinencestore.com/files/999468/uploaded/KC_Super_Plus-Men.jpg

Ray
05-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Geez... when I saw the Stones back in '74, I loved it, but realized they were past their prime years.

And that is, what... 42 years ago? :help:
I'd say their absolute prime was probably '68-72 - you don't get any better than Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile. But they had GREAT periods both before that and after. The '70s weren't all great, but I'd put the late '70s and very early '80s right up there - Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, and Tattoo You are albums I still pull out a lot more than their earlier '60s stuff. And that was for new material - as a performing band I think they stayed great for a REALLY long time - only in the past decade or so have they lost a step or two in performance.

And I'd still love to see them one more time, even at a few steps slow...

-Ray