PDA

View Full Version : Shorts v. Bibs

rounder
05-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Stupid dumb question...

I have always ridden with shorts but know that the racers all use bibs. If things have worked so far with shorts...why change to bibs? Thanks.

mrk_d
05-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Try a pair of bibs and decide for yourself. You'll like them.

Cicli
05-08-2016, 08:28 PM
What are shorts? You mean like for the pool?

I wear bibs for cycling and eating dinner. Both.

carpediemracing
05-08-2016, 08:29 PM
No waistband, that's the big thing (obviously). Makes a difference when you're leaned over a bit. For me, I'm not super skinny, and a waistband would cut into my torso.

Also no sagging shorts.

rounder
05-08-2016, 08:29 PM
lol

meant for Tihsepa

fiamme red
05-08-2016, 08:35 PM
I use shorts, not bibs. Shorts are cheaper and more convenient for bathroom breaks. If a pair of shorts has lost its elastic around the waist, I wear suspenders, as Eddy used to do.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/features/woodland_merckx_worlds08/APP35849alt.jpg

Louis
05-08-2016, 08:42 PM
I use shorts, not bibs. Shorts are cheaper and more convenient for bathroom breaks.

+1

But I do have a few bibs. If I'm participating in a group buy and bibs are the only option, or if I want to try a particular chamois that only comes in bibs, then I put up with them.

FlashUNC
05-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Bibs.

This is even a debate?

makoti
05-08-2016, 09:18 PM
I used to wear shorts all the time, but then I became a man and put away childish things. Bibs, unless everything is dirty and I have to wear the shorts I still have.

fiamme red
05-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Bibs.

This is even a debate?:confused:

Shorts are still offered by most apparel companies (including Assos, maybe excluding Rapha?), so obviously there is still some demand for them.

molly47
05-08-2016, 09:23 PM
I vote bibs,was given a pair of Asso shorts that I wore today and all I could think was I wish they were bibs..Much more comfortable..

rustychisel
05-08-2016, 09:29 PM
bibs.

This is even a debate?

+ 1

FlashUNC
05-08-2016, 09:34 PM
:confused:

Shorts are still offered by most apparel companies (including Assos, maybe excluding Rapha?), so obviously there is still some demand for them.

Just proves they're willing to fill a market need. What generates that need is an entirely separate issue.

Seriously...to the OP....go get nice bibs. If you still love shorts after that, well, Godspeed.

stephenmarklay
05-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Bibs

Pros:
1.If you have a big belly it won’t hit your knees as much and you won’t get all chafy.

2.If you have a big belly AND no butt you you won’t have to pull them up

Cons:
1. They are harder to pee when on.
2. Forget about a last minute poo.
3. They can be less forgiving with size (straps to short=wedgie)

Shorts

Pros:
1. Easy to pee
2. Last minute poo? No problemo.
3. If you have a big belly it will get some son.
4. If you have a big belly AND no Butt you will get a lot more sun.
Cons:

1. 3. Above
2. 4. Above

Ronsonic
05-08-2016, 10:30 PM
The only advantage to shorts over bibs is that it's easier to poop. Not a single other thing to recommend them.

Bibs are just a lot more comfortable. Especially for people at the far ends of the height / weight range.

Dead Man
05-08-2016, 11:50 PM
I only wear bibs cuz everyone else does. I have some shorts, they're perfectly comfortable.

In fact... now that the question has been asked, and no real answers have been given.. I'm forced to accept that my first sentence might actually be true

Wear whatever is comfortable, OP

r_mutt
05-09-2016, 12:05 AM
shorts are for tourists. if you live there, you wear bibs.

Ken Robb
05-09-2016, 12:18 AM
Bibs make me feel hotter than shorts due to the extra layer of fabric on my torso.

kramnnim
05-09-2016, 12:26 AM
I've never understood the "bibs are superior, shorts are for dummies" thing. But I don't have a potbelly so my shorts don't fall down. When it is hot, the extra bib strap material is annoying. If I get the Smalls that fit my waist, the straps are suitable for someone 6" shorter than me. :crap:

rab
05-09-2016, 01:43 AM
I've worn plenty of both of varying quality and can't honestly say one is hands down superior. I personally prefer shorts but still do wear bibs as well.
Torso length can make a big difference if you are at the extremes in build. I've never understood the arrogance of some devout bib users and their disdain for shorts. Should be what works best for the individual, unless you live and die by some silly rules of cycling.

I don't like the extra fabric across the stomach, except sometimes when it's a bit cooler. When hot it's nice to be able to open up the jersey and get full air to skin exposure.

Could see the elastic being annoying if you have some extra girth or picked sizing poorly. I'm lean and have never had an issue with the elastic cutting into me or with shorts drooping. (That's what the elastic is there for, right?!). Even with older, mediocre quality.
I have had bibs that felt a bit too snug in the straps and pulled tighter than preferred in the chamois zone. Worst chafing issue I ever had came from bibs.
Have also heard some complain of nip rubbing/chafing from the straps.

Shorts pros that come to mind:
Cooler
More adjustable
Better range of fit across various body types(?)
Cheaper
Lighter weight (while joking, I bet somewhere there is a person who would care)
Easier for bodily waste elimination
Easier to adjust your junk
No silly y-shaped tan line on your back
No straps on the shoulders/fabric across the stomach, less constricting feeling
Avoids the need to try and explain rationale of bibs to the curios non-cyclist.
Thus more time to explain spandex and shaved legs

rnhood
05-09-2016, 02:07 AM
I've worn plenty of both of varying quality and can't honestly say one is hands down superior. I personally prefer shorts but still do wear bibs as well.
Torso length can make a big difference if you are at the extremes in build. I've never understood the arrogance of some devout bib users and their disdain for shorts. Should be what works best for the individual, unless you live and die by some silly rules of cycling.

I don't like the extra fabric across the stomach, except sometimes when it's a bit cooler. When hot it's nice to be able to open up the jersey and get full air to skin exposure.

Could see the elastic being annoying if you have some extra girth or picked sizing poorly. I'm lean and have never had an issue with the elastic cutting into me or with shorts drooping. (That's what the elastic is there for, right?!). Even with older, mediocre quality.
I have had bibs that felt a bit too snug in the straps and pulled tighter than preferred in the chamois zone. Worst chafing issue I ever had came from bibs.
Have also heard some complain of nip rubbing/chafing from the straps.

Shorts pros that come to mind:
Cooler
More adjustable
Better range of fit across various body types(?)
Cheaper
Lighter weight (while joking, I bet somewhere there is a person who would care)
Easier for bodily waste elimination
Easier to adjust your junk
No silly y-shaped tan line on your back
No straps on the shoulders/fabric across the stomach, less constricting feeling
Avoids the need to try and explain rationale of bibs to the curios non-cyclist.
Thus more time to explain spandex and shaved legs

Agree, I have both but just about always wear shorts. Never think about them once they are on. Totally transparent. The newer shorts have mitigated any perceived benefit of bibs especially with regards to the waist band.

Joxster
05-09-2016, 04:08 AM
Bibs keep your kidneys warm when your hunched on you bike

bikingshearer
05-09-2016, 04:18 AM
I've never understood the "bibs are superior, shorts are for dummies" thing. But I don't have a potbelly so my shorts don't fall down. When it is hot, the extra bib strap material is annoying. If I get the Smalls that fit my waist, the straps are suitable for someone 6" shorter than me. :crap:

I do have a belly, I do prefer bibs, the extra material on my torso doesn't bother me at all, the extra material on the back means no plumber's butt, and the straps on the ones I've bought have been a comfy length. I have done the shorts + suspenders thing, too, and they work fine, but I find bibs more comfortable.

As for peeing, I have year to wear a pair of bibs that didn't allow me to stretch down the front or pull up a leg enough to get the job done.

I certainly do not think shorts are for "dummies," but I do think bibs work better for me. As with so many things in this life, YMMV.

soulspinner
05-09-2016, 05:36 AM
I do have a belly, I do prefer bibs, the extra material on my torso doesn't bother me at all, the extra material on the back means no plumber's butt, and the straps on the ones I've bought have been a comfy length. I have done the shorts + suspenders thing, too, and they work fine, but I find bibs more comfortable.

As for peeing, I have year to wear a pair of bibs that didn't allow me to stretch down the front or pull up a leg enough to get the job done.

I certainly do not think shorts are for "dummies," but I do think bibs work better for me. As with so many things in this life, YMMV.

This is a perfect explanation. Havent bought shorts in years....

ultraman6970
05-09-2016, 06:41 AM
I do agree too, the thing is this, back in the day shorts were longer too, now a days shorts are so short that when you bend your butt crack will be showing (not true just making an statement so I can be understood).

Back in the day I had a set of campagnolo shorts, suckers were long, pad was big and super comfortable, they felt like bibs.

Now a days I ride with a watermelon hanging all the time, bibs is the way to go.

Dead Man
05-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Seems like bibs are usually made from sleaker fabric around the thighs.. I do like that. Hate a fat hem. Shorts usually have a fat hem.

Really, thats about the only negative for shorts for me. The noted positives are poop n pee ability (though i always make sure i can piss over the top, before i buy a set o bibs) and temp management. Sometimes when its hot bibs feel stifling to me, and i wonder why the **** do we wear these things?

I also like that i can ride sans jersey/strap with shorts n work on ma tan. I maintain my thigh tan lines, but i dont go for this crap...

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk139/sli123/x3x5709da5053d4ce6c4eeed73df0545b6a.jpg

sandyrs
05-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Harder to pee? Are you kidding? What does it take, a third of a second extra to pull down the front of your bib shorts in the woods?

FlashUNC
05-09-2016, 08:11 AM
If "easier to poop" is on your list of reasons when buying bike kit, well, yeah then, I guess shorts rule.

livingminimal
05-09-2016, 08:14 AM
There are no pros to shorts.

if I see you out riding with shorts on, you get a wedgie or a co2 canister down your ass crack.

BIBS ONLY.

berserk87
05-09-2016, 08:23 AM
I used to wear shorts all of the time when I was new to the sport. After a couple of years, I joined a team that placed a uniform order and I had no choice but to order bibs. I was told "you will like them. shut up about it".

And I did.

I have not worn shorts on the bike since.

Bibs stay put and I don't have to over tighten any strings or whatnot to keep them where they should be. Plus no waistband digging into my pelvic region is nice. I find that bibs are a lot more comfortable that shorts. There is a reason that the ENTIRE pro peloton wears them.

Full-zip jerseys help if you have to take a dump while wearing bibs, as any fyi.

I can't imagine going back to shorts at this point. It would be like going to flat pedals again after years of cleats.

Mzilliox
05-09-2016, 08:28 AM
I like bibs for not so warm riding, but I don;t like bibs if im not wearing an under layer. If the straps of the bib are touching me they are annoying so in hot summer i often wear shorts. Otherwise a bib provides a bit more comfort.

Really makes no difference, just wear what works.:beer:

kramnnim
05-09-2016, 08:35 AM
I wonder if the pros get a different pattern with longer straps. Or maybe my torso is 25% longer than normal? The only way bibs are comfortable for me is when the straps are off. Maybe I should start doing that, hack off the straps.

tlittlefield
05-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Yes bibs are the ONLY way to go, I can't see in any situation where shorts would be better/more comfortable. As stated above, bibs and a full zip jersey and you can pee all you want.

Also what is it with some guys riding sans jersey, talk about potential upper torso road rash :confused:

Seramount
05-09-2016, 08:57 AM
have never once ended a ride and wished the shorts I was wearing were more comfortable.

otoh, own a pair of fleece bibs for cold weather riding, they're nice too.

gdw
05-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Baggy shorts rule. :banana:

kramnnim
05-09-2016, 09:12 AM
have never once ended a ride and wished the shorts I was wearing were more comfortable.

Pulling off bib straps at the end of a ride is like exiting an airplane after being stuck in coach for 12 hours.

moose8
05-09-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm in the minority and like shorts. I have bibs and have tried assorted bibs but I find the extra material annoying.

dgauthier
05-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Stupid dumb question...

I have always ridden with shorts but know that the racers all use bibs. If things have worked so far with shorts...why change to bibs? Thanks.

There's no reason to change at all, but obviously you're wondering what you're missing, so do what others have suggested and try some.

Just be aware that like anything else, there are bibs out there you will love and bibs that will simply not work for you. There's no magic about it: if you pull on a pair in the bike store and hate them, try a different pair. You should love them before you even ride with them. The best bet would be to try the bibs from the vendor of your favorite shorts, but that's just a start. Here are a few points that work for me:

1. Price means nothing. There are comfortable bibs for $60 and $260 (and up). They just have to be comfortable, and the only way to tell is to try 'em on.
2. Some bibs have narrow straps that will cut into your shoulders. Wide straps seem more comfortable to me, maybe to you too.
3. Look for bibs that use a breathable mesh in the upper panels and straps. Bibs that are all lycra are too hot.
4. Examine the contruction: some bibs look like shorts with the strap portion sewn on, others are made from long panels of lycra that are continuous from the thigh to torso. The latter tend to be more expensive, but they also tend to be more comfortable and "nicer".
5. Some vendors say their bibs are engineered to be comfortable when bent over on the bike, but are uncomfortable when just standing around. I find this to be total BS. They are uncomfortable all the time. Anything that doesn't work in the bike store changing room won't work on the bike.

Finally, the people who say they've tried bibs and find them uncomfortable just haven't found comfortable bibs. When they fit, you aren't aware of the straps, or the material, or anything. They just "vanish" like you're wearing nothing at all, which is the best thing about bibs.

sandyrs
05-09-2016, 09:45 AM
I wonder if the pros get a different pattern with longer straps. Or maybe my torso is 25% longer than normal? The only way bibs are comfortable for me is when the straps are off. Maybe I should start doing that, hack off the straps.

You must have an extremely long torso.

ColonelJLloyd
05-09-2016, 09:50 AM
For me, I've never gone back to shorts after trying bibs.

AngryScientist
05-09-2016, 09:55 AM
with questions like this, sometimes it's helpful to look to the pros, who make their living riding road bicycles, so they spend many hours a day on the bike. if the bulk majority (if not all) of them ride bib shorts, it's likely a good bet that they are the best for road cycling. of course you must take into acct that most amateurs are not built like pro cyclists, so that plays a factor.

for me, i find that bibs are vastly more comfortable than shorts, though i have never tried any of the higher tier shorts either.

Bob Ross
05-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Shorts are still offered by most apparel companies (including Assos, maybe excluding Rapha?)

Ah, yeah, that would certainly explain the elitist snark :0

fwiw I own and happily wear both. Shorts when I want to wear shorts, bibs when I want to wear bibs.
The only advantage of bibs over shorts I've ever found is they keep your lower back warm if you're wearing a jersey that's not long enough in back. The only advantage of shorts over bibs I've found is they make it a lot easier to take a dump when you're not wearing a full-zip jersey. Also they don't have straps to get tangled up & stretched out in the washing machine, so they don't require special care (...or a tall drying rack).

mcteague
05-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Started with shorts many years ago, even had all wool back then. Once I tried bibs I never went back. I have no belly issues but find bibs much more comfortable. However, bathroom breaks rarely are an issue. Maybe I just don't ride long enough!

Tim

kramnnim
05-09-2016, 10:21 AM
You must have an extremely long torso.

Yes, apparently my problem is not common. It's quite annoying.

Dead Man
05-09-2016, 10:44 AM
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/bunch-of-bib.jpg_zpsrcc0gshz.png

OtayBW
05-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Good grief - is it winter already? Wear what you like. I prefer bibs by a long shot, but I sure as schlitz am not going to try to convince someone why they're better. They're better for me...:hello: :crap: :butt:
BTW - green is the best color! Thank-you. :banana:

Tony
05-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Yes, apparently my problem is not common. It's quite annoying.

I too find the straps too short on some bibs. I stretch them out using two clamps. While they are in the stretch position I spray a mix of alcohol and water on the straps, leave the shorts in that position for several days. Makes a big difference.
https://picasaweb.google.com/107709068384636814318/6282735924427876673#6282735928630366066

kramnnim
05-09-2016, 12:43 PM
What does the alcohol do?

makoti
05-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Pulling off bib straps at the end of a ride is like exiting an airplane after being stuck in coach for 12 hours.

Clearly, you need to stop flying those low cost carriers. ;-)

Tony
05-09-2016, 01:34 PM
What does the alcohol do?

Shoe repair shops use a mixture of alcohol to stretch some shoes. I've done this with running shoes and it loosens the material. Several years ago I thought I'd try it with bib straps, done two pairs in this manner and it works.

berserk87
05-09-2016, 02:17 PM

I have had this from a pair of bibs that did not fit properly. I would recommend trying a pair that fit your torso better, if you are interested in crossing over from shorts. There is no piece of cycling kit that fits the same from one company to another - helmets, shoes, bibs, jerseys, etc. It's trial and error sometimes.

ptourkin
05-09-2016, 02:17 PM
There are no pros to shorts.

if I see you out riding with shorts on, you get a wedgie or a co2 canister down your ass crack.

BIBS ONLY.

Seconded.

kramnnim
05-09-2016, 03:08 PM
I have had this from a pair of bibs that did not fit properly. I would recommend trying a pair that fit your torso better, if you are interested in crossing over from shorts. There is no piece of cycling kit that fits the same from one company to another - helmets, shoes, bibs, jerseys, etc. It's trial and error sometimes.

I've tried Sugoi, which were actually painful. Pearl, Castelli, Capo, Hincapie, Campagnolo/CSW...they are all too short in the straps. Voler were the least annoying, but still far from "disappearing".

Dead Man
05-09-2016, 03:14 PM
I've tried Sugoi, which were actually painful. Pearl, Castelli, Capo, Hincapie, Campagnolo/CSW...they are all too short in the straps. Voler were the least annoying, but still far from "disappearing".

My Sugois are comfortable, but you can't piss over the top. No elasticity to the tummy of the bib AT ALL. So I hate them.

Dead Man
05-09-2016, 03:18 PM
I wanted to wear shorts the other day, but I'd just ripped up one of my two pairs in a crash, and the others were stank nasty in the hamper.. so I borrowed a pair of Treks from my son.

These mother ****ers literally sawed wounds into my ass cheeks - I mean quite literally. I could post pics... still have multiple scabbed over chamois-shaped wounds on my ass. It was incredible. I went straight to the first LBS I found, bought a full-price set of bibs and threw those mother-humping shorts in the trash.

Have never experienced that crap before. How the hell did Hiram wear those things?

rounder
05-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks all for the info on shorts v. bibs.

I was surprised there was that much to talk about.

berserk87
05-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Sounds like shorts may be your thing then.

Have you tried a size larger than you think you need? It may or may not help. It's hard to play custom bike clothing fitter from behind my keyboard.

Matthew
05-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Dead man's post made me almost shoot soda through my nose. That is funny! I actually wear both. Just have a couple pair of bibs now, starting to like them more and more. Voler brand.

kramnnim
05-09-2016, 05:02 PM
Sounds like shorts may be your thing then.

Have you tried a size larger than you think you need? It may or may not help. It's hard to play custom bike clothing fitter from behind my keyboard.

Yes, it's like wearing Depends. Well, what I imagine it would be like to wear Depends.

adub
05-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Imagine your favorite pants with built-in suspenders. What's not to like?

berserk87
05-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Yes, it's like wearing Depends. Well, what I imagine it would be like to wear Depends.

Well, that extra thick chamois might eliminate the need to void your pee externally, I reckon. :banana:

cadence90
05-09-2016, 05:34 PM
with questions like this, sometimes it's helpful to look to the pros, who make their living riding road bicycles, so they spend many hours a day on the bike. if the bulk majority (if not all) of them ride bib shorts, it's likely a good bet that they are the best for road cycling. of course you must take into acct that most amateurs are not built like pro cyclists, so that plays a factor.

for me, i find that bibs are vastly more comfortable than shorts, though i have never tried any of the higher tier shorts either.
+1.

The shorter version of this is...
https://media.gq.com/photos/55828c511177d66d68d52d38/master/w_800/blogs-the-feed-tour-de-france-bathroom-break-cycling-fitness.jpg
...Pros piss too.

kramnnim
05-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Imagine your favorite pants with built-in suspenders. What's not to like?

Imagine your favorite baseball cap, with a built in chin strap. :banana:

gasman
05-09-2016, 07:00 PM
I wanted to wear shorts the other day, but I'd just ripped up one of my two pairs in a crash, and the others were stank nasty in the hamper.. so I borrowed a pair of Treks from my son.

Have never experienced that crap before. How the hell did Hiram wear those things?

I thought your oldest was like 8 from your photos. No wonder they dug into you !!!

Dead Man
05-09-2016, 08:16 PM
I thought your oldest was like 8 from your photos. No wonder they dug into you !!!

Oldest is 12... Hiram is 9, almost 10

Men's size S! totally fit. At least they seemed like they did when I slid 'em on.

gasman
05-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Oldest is 12... Hiram is 9, almost 10

Men's size S! totally fit. At least they seemed like they did when I slid 'em on.

Ouch

Bstone
05-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Remember that 90% of cycling things are marketing driven. Because the pros do really means "because the sponsors gave it to us for free and they can charge consumers more for it.

Also, living in Florida, bibs are considerably hotter in the summer and I don't have a belly.

soulspinner
05-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Remember that 90% of cycling things are marketing driven. Because the pros do really means "because the sponsors gave it to us for free and they can charge consumers more for it.

Also, living in Florida, bibs are considerably hotter in the summer and I don't have a belly.

I live in upstate NY and have ridden in 90 weather and never felt bibs were warmer. WIKI WIKI??? YMMV...

sandyrs
05-10-2016, 01:48 PM

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the single biggest contributor to many-if-not-most cyclists' comfort on the bike is not purely marketing-driven.

FlashUNC
05-10-2016, 01:51 PM

"Well, they just give them these two wheeled machines to ride around, being pros and all. There's probably better ways for them to do it, but that's just what their sponsors want so they can charge consumers more for it."

MattTuck
05-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Just reading this thread now... haha. Good stuff.

I still occasionally wear shorts, especially for indoor trainer riding. Have the fan blowing on me, and it seems a better situation for getting rid of sweat.

The only real downside to bibs is finding new ones that fit. Instead of essentially 2 constraints on fit (leg circumference and waist circumference), either of which could potentially make shorts not fit, you now have an additional constraint (strap length).

Overall, I do think that bibs are a bit more comfortable. Although, let's be honest, I've had bibs that are less comfortable because the straps pull the whole thing and move the pad to a spot that is less comfortable for me.

berserk87
05-10-2016, 02:32 PM

Check out the origin of Castelli's Gabba windproof/water resistant jersey via any Google search. Many pros that were not sponsored by Castelli were wearing these, unbranded (logos covered) during foul weather when they were first released, rather than their team sponsored stuff.

Pros are going to use what works. They may have preferences, but when your job depends on certain things, you are going to use what functions. In this case, we are not talking about wood spindled pedals or helmets with a built-in face mask. Bibs are pretty well established in pro cycling.

I would be my next paycheck that if you polled the men's peloton at the next grand tour, they would each vote that they prefer bibs versus plain shorts. And to boot, sponsors could easily provide shorts if there was a demand with pros. It's not like that would be a big logistical nightmare. A pro cyclist's sponsor kit for the year includes a lot of various items.

Dead Man
05-10-2016, 02:35 PM
I would be my next paycheck that if you polled the men's peloton at the next grand tour, they would each vote that they prefer bibs versus plain shorts.

But if you asked them why, what would they say?

Also ask them if they ever shave on race day... and why not (when they, to a man, tell you they do not)

sandyrs
05-10-2016, 03:06 PM

Also ask them if they ever shave on race day... and why not (when they, to a man, tell you they do not)

Why don't we see Grand Tours finishing with every rider looking like Father Time, then?

Dead Man
05-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Why don't we see Grand Tours finishing with every rider looking like Father Time, then?

cause most of that stuff eventually comes out as BS... but some stuff... especially the easy stuff... hangs on

hey.. we all do it to some degree. I'm guilty.

berserk87
05-10-2016, 03:43 PM

They would say that they prefer bibs. Again - what is the barrier to a pro wearing shorts if he wanted to? Virtually every manufacturer makes bibs and some type of shorts. The pro kit suppliers are no exception. They have a choice on this, contrary to what you guys are implying.

I don't care a lick about the shaving issue. It's not on the same page as what I am talking about.

Dead Man
05-10-2016, 04:10 PM
I don't care a lick about the shaving issue. It's not on the same page as what I am talking about.

But I'm making the argument that it might be the same "reason" for both - tradition.

You can disagree.

fiamme red
05-10-2016, 05:00 PM
with questions like this, sometimes it's helpful to look to the pros, who make their living riding road bicycles, so they spend many hours a day on the bike. if the bulk majority (if not all) of them ride bib shorts, it's likely a good bet that they are the best for road cycling.Pros also ride many miles on wet roads without fenders. Their needs are different from mine.

I rode 40 miles today in a cheap pair of Voler shorts. I didn't think once about them while I was riding. I admit that if I were sponsored and got bibs for free, I'd wear them.

rounder
05-10-2016, 07:27 PM
But I'm making the argument that it might be the same "reason" for both - tradition.

You can disagree.

I do not know about the tradition for bibs. But it seemed like it was a big deal (sacrilege) to go from horizontal to vertical dropouts. Same for brifters.

rab
05-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Well here you go. Why to choose bibs over shorts.
http://www.pactimo.com/why-bib-shorts/

Anyone else find the rationales presented to be a bit weak? Really seemed like they were stretching for reasons. Seriously, straps are more comfortable? So a waistband is uncomfortable, collects sweat, leads to chafing... And straps don't have this potential?

Can't help but think that there may be a bigger margin on bibs, thus more push to sell by the manufacturers?

And going a bit further, if bibs are so great, wouldn't that make a skinsuit with a full front zipper even better? Of course there are even more dimensions that have to fit right. Seeing more with pocket options now.

Seriously though, bibs vs shorts ultimately comes down to personal preference. You can find versions of both that are great or miserable.

Perhaps the key is...bespoke! I've heard a lot about a company in LA that can cover ALL your needs.

unterhausen
05-11-2016, 08:21 AM
after almost 40 years of hard use, I lost one of the clips off of my cycling suspenders. They weren't working so well anyway, suspenders, bellies and bike shorts aren't a good mix. They work a lot better when you are skinny.

When I was a teenager, we used to go out and have drop-fests. If someone dropped you and you later caught them, the drill was to yank their shorts down on the way past. Yes, this is juvenile humor at its worst and hurtful. If only they had bibs back in those days, I'd have more friends.

sandyrs
05-11-2016, 08:44 AM
Well here you go. Why to choose bibs over shorts.
http://www.pactimo.com/why-bib-shorts/

Anyone else find the rationales presented to be a bit weak? Really seemed like they were stretching for reasons. Seriously, straps are more comfortable? So a waistband is uncomfortable, collects sweat, leads to chafing... And straps don't have this potential?

Can't help but think that there may be a bigger margin on bibs, thus more push to sell by the manufacturers?

And going a bit further, if bibs are so great, wouldn't that make a skinsuit with a full front zipper even better? Of course there are even more dimensions that have to fit right. Seeing more with pocket options now.

Seriously though, bibs vs shorts ultimately comes down to personal preference. You can find versions of both that are great or miserable.

Perhaps the key is...bespoke! I've heard a lot about a company in LA that can cover ALL your needs.

Haha. ALL your needs indeed.

Bib straps are, for most bodies, more comfortable than shorts. And yes, skinsuits ARE more comfortable than a jersey + bibs, but they are less practical so you don't see them out as much. I have a Rapha Aerosuit that I got when it was on extreme discount just to try it out. Despite the fit being a bit different from their jersey/bibs combo (like you said, more parameters to fit, and they make up for it with stretchier material), it is incredibly comfortable. If my skinsuits all had pockets like that I would wear them on normal rides.

FlashUNC
05-11-2016, 08:46 AM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

berserk87
05-11-2016, 08:59 AM

You can disagree.

I do. Guys are going to wear what works in terms of comfort when they are in the saddle for up to 8 hours a day.

The shaving thing? No one cares with regard to this thread, anyway.