PDA

View Full Version : Duegi Shoe sizing

Slalomdude
05-08-2016, 08:50 AM
looking to buy a vintage set online and was wanting yo know about sizing. Are they true to size, anyone any idea how they compare size wise to modern Sidi. I wore them as a kid, but can't remember how si sing was, feet have grown too!
Thanks

David Kirk
05-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Depending on the material used in the uppers they can stretch a lot. I used to buy them a size small, wet them, and then ride until they are dry. Worked great.

dave

05-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Used to ride in these for a number of years and found that sizing varied in certain model years. There were some that fit extremely small, but in other years they fit closer to true size.

They used natural leather without lining for the most part, so as Dave said, you get them wet and they reshape and stretch quite a bit. It makes them very comfortable, but sizing is a bit of a guessing game. They would reshape again if you rode in the rain or had a long ride on an extremely hot day. This saved a lot of foot pain, but one almost had to have a small stash of sizing pads to stick under the tongue to accommodate sizing changes.

JLP
05-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it's a bit of a gamble. I ride a 42 Sidi, but I'm probably a stretched out 40 Duegi. I have an almost brand new 39 I need to sell.

bikingshearer
05-09-2016, 04:09 AM
I generally wear a 45.5 SPD-compatible shoe. I picked up a pair of vintage Duegis from zmudshark to use at Eroica California this year, size 45. They felt pretty much exactly how a size 45 shoe would feel when you are used to a size 45.5, which was exactly what I wanted.

Slalomdude
05-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys, guess it's going to have to be gamble game on eBay and probably will end up with several unwanted pairs.

05-09-2016, 09:52 PM
I generally wear a 45.5 SPD-compatible shoe. I picked up a pair of vintage Duegis from zmudshark to use at Eroica California this year, size 45. They felt pretty much exactly how a size 45 shoe would feel when you are used to a size 45.5, which was exactly what I wanted.

Was that a fit after wearing them in, or just out of the box? And were the shoes new, lightly used, well worn? If we're talking about new shoes, anticipate quite a fair bit of crapshoot error, with a tendency to start too small and end up too big.

El Chaba
05-10-2016, 06:39 AM
As a data point.....I wear a size 41 in most shoes...My old Duegi 101's are size 40.5. As others have said, the tradition in the day was to buy the shoes just a little on the snug side and take some time to break them in for a glove-like fit.
As a bit of an aside, I was doing an eroica event and had need to find an old pair of cleated shoes for clips/straps. I was lucky enough to find my old Duegis that had been stored away for almost 30 years. I cleaned them up and gave them a good rub down with mink oil and polish and they are amazingly presentable. The real amazing thing occurred when I put them on....fit like a glove and the cleats were spot on...I love the fit of an old pair of broken in (cycling) shoes made of all natural materials....