PDA

View Full Version : Game console games requiring cooperative/teamwork?

Dead Man
05-06-2016, 10:56 AM
I havent played a video game in about 15 years, so you could say im behind the times

My kids have never had a game console and havent been allowed to play them.. But im thinking about getting a console and letting them earn time on it with cycling/sports/exercise, or something like that.

However... I still dont want them just vegging out solo on some FPS. Are there any hopefully non-violent-but-still-fun 2-4 player games that are strictly cooperative between players? Games that require teamwork/cooperation to achieve succcess?

Also - console recommendations ? Like i said - im cleanly out of the loop

Thanks!

-B

echappist
05-06-2016, 11:01 AM
I havent played a video game in about 15 years, so you could say im behind the times

My kids have never had a game console and havent been allowed to play them.. But im thinking about getting a console and letting them earn time on it with cycling/sports/exercise, or something like that.

However... I still dont want them just vegging out solo on some FPS. Are there any hopefully non-violent-but-still-fun 2-4 player games that are strictly cooperative between players? Games that require teamwork/cooperation to achieve succcess?

Also - console recommendations ? Like i said - im cleanly out of the loop

Thanks!

-B
i've heard that the musical simulation games (guitar hero) are cooperative in nature. a research group somewhere actually did a study on person to person empathy levels (using response to stress on the other person as a proxy) and determined that two strangers who play guitar hero for 15 minutes develop a measure of empathy on par with the response between good friends

Benneke
05-06-2016, 11:04 AM
I can't think of many games that only have cooperative play without any single-player. Left 4 Dead comes to mind as one. There are also massively multiplayer games like Planetside that don't have any single player, but you're playing with hundreds of others online. Additionally, very few games allow split-screen cooperative play these days. In other words, to use to cooperative feature on most games you need to have a separate console+TV for each player. Some games that DO allow local, split-screen coop play are Borderlands, Portal, Far Cry, and Minecraft (not 100% sure if all of these games have it).

sandyrs
05-06-2016, 11:17 AM
My impression is that Minecraft is popular among parents who normally don't want their kids playing video games because of the problem-solving nature of the game.

FlashUNC
05-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Wii U, Super Mario Bros. The end.

kramnnim
05-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Stuff like Lego Star Wars, Lego Harry Potter, etc, have multiplayer where the characters help each other to get through the levels in a teamwork sort of way.

vqdriver
05-06-2016, 11:55 AM
that is going to depend on their age. for younger children, skylanders is ok, it's a coop shooter but you need to buy character action figures and such.
any of the lego games (lego star wars, lego jurassic world, etc.) are split screen coop problem solver stuff.

alternatively, the sports games, (nba, fifa, etc.) can be played head to head or coop. these are usually cross platform and can accommodate many different number of players. check the box for each game since they're all different, but 4 player fifa is fun for the whole family. (kids love it when they're better than the adults btw)

some games are platform exclusive, others are not. we have an xbox one but ps4 is good too. I would say that the tech is very similar when in game. the most visible differences to you would be the user interface and how it wants to integrate with all your other micrsoft or sony stuff. the graphics and gaming is nearly the same. if there's a particular game that's platform specific such as the halo series or Mario stuff, then you're pretty much stuck there.

miguel
05-06-2016, 11:58 AM
paceline is probably the wrong place to be asking about video games

but there's this

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html

you can select whichever vid system you have or want and look it up

i love nintendos

dustyrider
05-06-2016, 04:18 PM
I hate Xbox controllers. Been with Sony since the beginning. PlayStation is nice as a home entertainment device. Streams Netflix, Hulu and others flawlessly! You can rent and buy reasonably priced movies. When it comes to games, there's always more and more coming out. PlayStation store has a ton of free games that expect you to purchase stuff in game(but not required to have fun). Just like a lot of the apps out there now. Many games offer free demos through the PlayStation store so you can check them before you commit. There is a le tour game out there that looks sort of interesting....youtube is a great place to see game play footage, too. I don't get into multiplayer games since I don't have the time to commit. I like the sandbox RPGs. I'm always the last person to get the game and the last person to beat it...

TheWolfsMouth
05-06-2016, 04:55 PM
FALSE MIGUEL. I AM HERE NOW. Other than a Wii, most things are gonna be pretty violent. Unless you go the sports route like FIFA, or MADDEN - etc.

OR get them a 3DS XL and play POKEMON like there's no tomorrow.