PDA

View Full Version : Lube for Ti pedal spindle

Veloo
05-06-2016, 06:13 AM
What kind of lube should I be using for the area of a Ti pedal spindle that contacts the bearings?
Finally swapping out my Keywin spindles (long story). They came lubed but I don't think it's a copper based lube. Looks to be a light oil but I could be wrong.

Then there's the nyloc nut on the end. Should I use copper grease on those threads? Don't see copper on them right now.

Black Dog
05-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Copper based anti seize would be best but regular grease will work too but should be reapplied more often.

shovelhd
05-06-2016, 06:48 AM
I have Speedplay Zero Ti that use a stainless needle bearing running on a Ti spindle. I use plain old lithium grease. There's no danger of seizing as they are in constant motion during use, and get used often.

Mark McM
05-06-2016, 09:11 AM
What kind of lube should I be using for the area of a Ti pedal spindle that contacts the bearings?
Finally swapping out my Keywin spindles (long story). They came lubed but I don't think it's a copper based lube. Looks to be a light oil but I could be wrong.

Then there's the nyloc nut on the end. Should I use copper grease on those threads? Don't see copper on them right now.

Definitely don't use anti-seize on bearings. The metal particles in the anti-seize will interfere with smooth rolling, possible causing premature wear of the bearings, and will probably wear out the seals as well. Anti-seize is for friction fit interfaces (threads, press fits, etc.) that don't move in regular service.

Copper based anti-seize is only really necessary for preventing galling between titanium contact surfaces. Standard nickel based anti-seize is fine for steel on titanium contact surfaces.

Clancy
05-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Copper based anti-seize is only really necessary for preventing galling between titanium contact surfaces. Standard nickel based anti-seize is fine for steel on titanium contact surfaces.[/QUOTE]

I was brought up to use regular grease on fasteners, steel cage bolts into aluminum, steel, or Ti. Have always used such on stem bolts, seat tubes, cage bolts, etc. Currently have a tub of Parks that's lasted years.

Is a nickel based anti-seize the preferred for steel on Ti? And alloy seatposts into Ti frames?