PDA

View Full Version : Can we just talk about how awesome Swiftwick socks are?

bloody sunday
05-05-2016, 03:46 PM
I've tried almost every brand - and Swiftwick are by far the best quality, best fitting, longest lasting socks I've ever owned. I bought a pair to try out last year and now I have a collection.

Anyone else a fan?

christian
05-05-2016, 03:51 PM
I bought two pairs and both got a hole (under the big toe in one and on the heel in the other) in a couple of weeks.

I'm back to Darn Tough, Smartwool, and Woolpower. I was unimpressed.

sw3759
05-05-2016, 03:52 PM
have to agree.big fan too.great socks.as good or better than anything I've used in the past.some of my defeets would run a close second

OtayBW
05-05-2016, 03:53 PM
i'm a Woolie Boolie man, myself!

arcadian
05-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Agreed. Awesome socks. I have some that are 4 years old that still see regular use. I wear Swiftwick socks everyday.

Smartwool used to be good, but not anymore.

Defeet makes good stuff, but Woolie Boolies are too thick for regular use.

Satellite
05-05-2016, 03:55 PM
I've tried almost every brand - and Swiftwick are by far the best quality, best fitting, longest lasting socks I've ever owned. I bought a pair to try out last year and now I have a collection.

Anyone else a fan?

Yep same results. I was very loyal to Smartwool they just haven't held up at all. My wife bought me some of the IBIS labeled Swiftwick merino wool shocks for a birthday present they have held up twice as long as Smartwool and I love them. I am wearing a pair right now.

I will never buy Smartwool socks so long as I can get Swiftwick.

JStonebarger
05-05-2016, 03:55 PM
I've long been a fan of Smartwool, but Darn Tough are pretty much bullet proof.

bloody sunday
05-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Yep same results. I was very loyal to Smartwool they just haven't held up at all. My wife bought me some of the IBIS labeled Swiftwick merino wool shocks for a birthday present they have held up twice as long as Smartwool and I love them. I am wearing a pair right now.

I will never buy Smartwool socks so long as I can get Swiftwick.

same here. Have the aspire 4's in every color they make + 3 pairs of black

p nut
05-05-2016, 04:11 PM
I've got 3 pairs and after 3 years of semi regular use, one has a hole. So not bad at all. Although darn tough (2 pairs) are still going strong.

Seramount
05-05-2016, 04:12 PM
I just found a pair of Swiftwicks in the 'bargain' bin at the Performance shop down the street.

like em.

Jad
05-05-2016, 04:36 PM
I've been wearing Defeet socks--a pair of their Wooleators (wool Aerators) and a couple pairs of the plain Aerators. They have lasted for more than two full seasons through road and cyclocross with little wear. I'll definitely try Swiftwicks and would like to try some Darn Toughs.

guido
05-05-2016, 05:17 PM
I've been really happy with smartwool. I have 8-9 pairs that are at least 7 years old and only one out of the bunch that started to get a thin spot. The rest are still going strong.

carpediemracing
05-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Swiftwicks. Bought maybe 4 or 6 in 2010. Bought another 6 or 8 since then, last ones I bought were 2013? I haven't trashed any and I can't tell which ones I bought first.

I have plenty of socks from other companies that are wearing out or wearing thin. You can tell age on them. Swiftwick, 100% since day one.

scrubadub
05-05-2016, 11:38 PM
I like Swiftwicks a lot but have been wearing my Balegas more.

bloody sunday
05-05-2016, 11:42 PM
I like Swiftwicks a lot but have been wearing my Balegas more.

you wear no show socks?

nate2351
05-06-2016, 12:14 AM
I like them, I think I have three pair. We'll see if their as durable as DeFeet (two pairs going on something absurd like 5 seasons). Way better than some other closely priced options *cough* Giro *cough*.

CiclistiCliff
05-06-2016, 03:54 AM
My sock drawer is worth significantly more than most of my prized possessions. Thank you Swiftwick.

weisan
05-06-2016, 06:03 AM
I have one pair of socks that I used regularly for cycling... Yes, you read that correctly... ONE pair. And it's not even anything special or cycling-specific. Just something I got in a closeout probably a year ago from UnderAmour. It's still in good shape, but I am in the hunt for getting one or two extra pairs of socks as backup or put in rotation. So this thread is very timely.

In the past, I have used SmartWool but found them either too thick or warm for summer riding here in Texas, winter is fine. The ones I got already have a couple of holes.

I am looking at the "grab bag" special offered at swiftwick under their closeout section, wondering whether it's worth taking a gamble to save a couple of bucks.

Basically, I am looking for some good deals currently on offer. Might have to drop in at my local performancebike store to see if they have got any more of the discounted swiftwick that seramount pal found.

Clancy
05-06-2016, 07:10 AM
Agree that SwiftWick socks are the best quality and longest lasting. I've tried every other sock mentioned in the posts and although many are excellent socks, SwiftWick is just a notch better.

Speaking of SwiftWick, I have a pair of their arm warmers. Same superb quality and fit, my favorite pair of arm warmers. Check them out!

holliscx
05-06-2016, 07:14 AM
They make mostly 4" and then skip all the way to 7" socks while 5 and 6" is the sweet spot for me at 6' 1 1/2". DeFeet all the way for me with the 6" Aerator although some days I enjoy the 5" variety which is what Chris King opted for.

Veloo
05-06-2016, 07:18 AM
I had never heard of them until last fall when a friend was talking about them.
I would have bought a pair but I had just placed an order for 5 Defeet Hi-tops which I use as dress socks for work. I've worn aerators for years cuz they last at least 10X longer than any department store cotton/ wool sock for daily use.

What is it that separates the Swiftwicks? Comfort, longevity?

r_mutt
05-06-2016, 07:19 AM
i've been wearing them exclusively since 2010. 2 levels above everything else. standard aerator in the warm months and wool for the winter. they are long-lasting and have excellent compression. nothing is even close. defeet seem like junk after wearing swiftwick.

bking
05-06-2016, 10:12 AM
I've got swiftwick, good, wooly boolies that work, usually when it's cooler, and smart wool. Lately though i've been using bontragers sock, the one with the bit of compression stripe around the arch of the foot. Have a pair of their winter weight, and several of the summer weight. Feel good on my feet.

veggieburger
05-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Defeets used to be my go-to sock, but they are junk now. The tops are not stitched on like they used to be so they unravel over time. Bah.

azrider
05-06-2016, 10:48 AM
I love my Pearl Izumi wool socks, and wool in general, however out here I only get to wear the material one month out of the year.

That said

I would normally rave about swiftwick socks, but i recently bought two pairs of White socks and after one wash they turned nasty gray.

Very disappointing.

malcolm
05-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Hard to beat Darn Tough. Made in Vermont.

They make of ton of different styles and thicknesses. Last forever never lose their shape and I think are warrantied

Derailer
05-06-2016, 11:37 AM

Anyone else a fan?

Totally agree. Been preaching about these things forever. I love Swiftwicks.

livingminimal
05-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Theyre no better or worse than any other cycling sock. I have stuff from the Athletic, Rapha, Twin Six, and a bunch of other brands.
They're just socks, I prefer them light and airy for the most part (probably why I like the regular Raphas), but I hardly notice them. Honestly, matching my kit is far more important.

bloody sunday
05-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Theyre no better or worse than any other cycling sock. I have stuff from the Athletic, Rapha, Twin Six, and a bunch of other brands.
They're just socks, I prefer them light and airy for the most part (probably why I like the regular Raphas), but I hardly notice them. Honestly, matching my kit is far more important.

sounds like you're not paying attention if you can't tell a difference between them.

matching socks is cool, but solid colors seem to match well with my black on black kits (which is all I wear)

carpediemracing
05-06-2016, 01:08 PM
I had never heard of them until last fall when a friend was talking about them.
I would have bought a pair but I had just placed an order for 5 Defeet Hi-tops which I use as dress socks for work. I've worn aerators for years cuz they last at least 10X longer than any department store cotton/ wool sock for daily use.

Both, really.

Longevity is incredible. Same snugness as day one. In fact, except for the fact that new ones are packaged, when I opened a new set it felt exactly the same as ones a few years old.

I walk around in my socks a lot - I've been a stay at home dad or caretaker for 3.5 of the last 4 years so I spend a LOT of time walking around the house. I got some other brand socks but they definitely get thinner (machine wash/dry for everything for me), they lose their shape, they feel more loose, they get holes, etc. Swiftwicks retain feel, no holes in any of the socks I have.

Comfort - the ones I have are snug for sure, but in a good way. No fabric moving around, nothing bunching up. And, again, no changes in how it feels over years of use.

weisan
05-06-2016, 08:09 PM
O....K....ordered three pairs of Swiftwick. Black, of course.
Added 25% off email newsletter coupon, come up to $5.21 each.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/swiftwick-four-compression-cycling-socks-quarter-crew-for-men-and-women~p~125pr/?filterString=s~swiftwick-socks%2F&colorFamily=01

casparwhittey
05-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Definitely passing the swiftwick love. Got a chuckle as I sit at the beer\bike shop post Friday commute imbibing my recovery beverage and saw the post 🙂

weisan
05-06-2016, 08:35 PM
caspar pal, I like your black/white combo over-the-calf compression socks. I looked over the website and didn't see any...

:D

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697919620&stc=1&d=1462584507

casparwhittey
05-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Haha, we give out pale calves in Seattle for free. I don't think I'd last for one ride down in your country!

weisan
05-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Haha, we give out pale calves in Seattle for free. I don't think I'd last for one ride down in your country!

That's ok Casper pal, I will be thinking fondly of you when we hit triple-digits later this summer...lord help us!

Clancy
05-06-2016, 09:27 PM
I had never heard of them until last fall when a friend was talking about them>

They have a very high thread count. The quality and feel is superb. They also have a compression quality, great support.

Made in Tenn I believe.

scrubadub
05-06-2016, 10:10 PM
you wear no show socks?

Balegas have low-cut models. I tried no-show socks but always found they slipped off my foot when I ran a lot.

bloody sunday
05-07-2016, 12:00 PM
caspar pal, I like your black/white combo over-the-calf compression socks. I looked over the website and didn't see any...

:D

[IMG]http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697919620&stc=1&d=1462584507[/IG]
The length you're looking for is the "aspire four"

bloody sunday
05-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Balegas have low-cut models. I tried no-show socks but always found they slipped off my foot when I ran a lot.

yeah, I've never met a no show sock that didn't desire a move towards my toes.

weisan
05-07-2016, 05:11 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f8/06/4f/f8064f27548a3d01410e37e05643c01b.jpg

R3awak3n
05-07-2016, 05:18 PM
i love my defeet. the rapha winter socks are awesome too

livingminimal
05-07-2016, 05:30 PM
sounds like you're not paying attention if you can't tell a difference between them.

matching socks is cool, but solid colors seem to match well with my black on black kits (which is all I wear)

I guess? I've been riding a bicycle for a long time. Socks are somewhere around last on the how does _____ feel today check list.

pdmtong
05-07-2016, 08:11 PM
I was at Sea Otter in the Luna Pro Team tent when the swiftwick rep came by to comp the pro ladies some socks.
Georgia exclaimed "these are the best socks" to which i agreed.

yes, they are awesome.

my rapha meriono and pro team are showing good life too.

smartwool on the other hand absolutely sucks. those socks produce premature holes every time. I will never buy smartwool again.

FlashUNC
05-07-2016, 11:07 PM
I'm a fan, save for the hottest days.

nathanong87
05-08-2016, 04:36 AM
they are good, but not my favorite. Swiftwick 7s i think, are noticeably thicker than other (insert brand) rapha, giro, defeet. Pushing the too much volume envelope for me

oldpotatoe
05-08-2016, 06:35 AM
O....K....ordered three pairs of Swiftwick. Black, of course.
Added 25% off email newsletter coupon, come up to $5.21 each.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/swiftwick-four-compression-cycling-socks-quarter-crew-for-men-and-women~p~125pr/?filterString=s~swiftwick-socks%2F&colorFamily=01

Mee Too...needed soxs anyway.

Gsinill
01-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Bought a few pairs based on this thread back in 2016.

Since I literally have dozens of short socks, I might have worn them maybe 20 times and now they start falling apart.

Anybody else having issues?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210111/3c800671fb7d43e11771d9e5c18ac3ee.jpg

skouri1
01-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Ive had maybe 7-8 pairs in rotation in almost daily use for the past 5-6 years and have maybe a few threads here and there, but nothing like that.
swiftwick are my favs.
are those wool or something?
mine are definitely synthetic. have had incredible durability

Keith A
01-11-2021, 10:52 AM
I bought two pairs and both got a hole (under the big toe in one and on the heel in the other) in a couple of weeks.

I'm back to Darn Tough, Smartwool, and Woolpower. I was unimpressed.A lot of my riding pals have started wearing Swiftwick socks, so I decided to give them a try. They seemed fine, but then I found a hole near the heel just recently. I've only worn these a handful of times :(

Blue Jays
01-11-2021, 11:03 AM
Absolutely love, love, love their top-of-the-line Aspire model with 2" cuff to cover ankle bone.
I use their taller woolen socks for under tights when the thermometer plunges.

Excellent firm compression that can be "tuned" by which particular model you select.
I have been standardized on Swiftwick for many years and durability is superb.

In terms of care, virtually all of my cycling gear is gently washed (in garment bags) in either cold or warm water, depending how dirty. Cycling socks and clothes are dried on a clothesline away from any direct heat. Gear lasts a long time.

Likes2ridefar
01-11-2021, 11:25 AM
At least now I know why I own a pair of swift wick socks from a few years ago.... I kept trying to put them in my SOs sock pile as I didn’t recognize them. I wore them once or twice and prefer darn tough for their fantastic stripes and colors and most recently got some woolie boolies with reindeer I’m quite fond of.

ColonelJLloyd
01-11-2021, 11:45 AM
Darn Tough 4 lyfe!

cmbicycles
01-11-2021, 12:47 PM
I got a pair of swiftwick wool socks and it got a hole in the toe after one or two wearings. Swiftwick was good about it and sent a replacement pair that have been fine, although they are thinning out on the heel now as well after a year. I sewed up the hole in the first, and they are have thin spots at the heel and ball of foot area like pictured above, only mine look worse, like fishnet socks, lol. Maybe the first pair was a dud, at least they had good support. Darn Tough are my sock of choice these days, daily wear for years with no thinning, no wear, and no shrinkage (important for size 13/14 feet).

jmvernon
01-11-2021, 12:55 PM
I was (and hopefully still) a die hard Smartwool fan. My group of socks have started to finally need to be replaced; this is after probably 8 years. I have gotten a few new pairs of Smartwool hopefully they hold up as well.

But I also got some Donkey Label wool socks. I like they are made in the USA and want to support a small cycling company. So far I am liking them since I could get a little bit taller sock to run and cycle in.

Xicaboy
01-11-2021, 02:04 PM
I was using Swiftwick and DeFeet (have 5 pairs of each) exclusively then started using some “Rapha” knockoffs from China (usually they’re around $2.15-$2.35) and have been using them ever since. There are thinner summer socks and some that are a little thicker for colder weather. I use two pairs in winter and the durability/comfort of them all has been great. The height is 5-6” above the ankle and they feel good/supportive, look great, and are amazingly well made. Just got 10 pairs of white summer socks for $22.70 total. Sent some to a friend who loves DeFeet and they were very impressed with them as well.

KonaSS
01-11-2021, 02:24 PM
I was using Swiftwick and DeFeet (have 5 pairs of each) exclusively then started using some “Rapha” knockoffs from China (usually they’re around $2.15-$2.35) and have been using them ever since. There are thinner summer socks and some that are a little thicker for colder weather. I use two pairs in winter and the durability/comfort of them all has been great. The height is 5-6” above the ankle and they feel good/supportive, look great, and are amazingly well made. Just got 10 pairs of white summer socks for $22.70 total. Sent some to a friend who loves DeFeet and they were very impressed with them as well.

Where are you getting these? I would try for that price.

Xicaboy
01-11-2021, 03:31 PM
AliExpress, which is owned by Alibaba. Have never had a problem with orders through them over the last 2 yrs. My recent order was Bmambas branded. They take PayPal as well which I like much better than giving out a CC #.

teleguy57
01-11-2021, 04:02 PM
Haven't tried Swiftwick. I have used a lot of DeFeet, including woolieboolie. Like me Darn Tough a lot, but they no longer list cycling-specific socks on their web site. I was a skeptic of taller (6" cuff) socks, but have grown to like them. The DTs I have are a bit on the shorter side.

For winter wear I'm a fan of FollowHollow alpaca socks, created by Brian Williams of Fix-It sticks fame and a local guy here. Nice to see they made the CyclingNews winter sock review (https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/best-winter-cycling-socks/).

PS. Realized I have a code for folks to get 15% off through Jan 18. Will post in the classifieds.

Likes2ridefar
01-11-2021, 04:51 PM
Haven't tried Swiftwick. I have used a lot of DeFeet, including woolieboolie. Like me Darn Tough a lot, but they no longer list cycling-specific socks on their web site. I was a skeptic of taller (6" cuff) socks, but have grown to like them. The DTs I have are a bit on the shorter side.

For winter wear I'm a fan of FollowHollow alpaca socks, created by Brian Williams of Fix-It sticks fame and a local guy here. Nice to see they made the CyclingNews winter sock review (https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/best-winter-cycling-socks/).

PS. Realized I have a code for folks to get 15% off through Jan 18. Will post in the classifieds.

These darn tough are my favorite in various colors. They are thin, no padding like a cycling sock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0100LPYY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mistermo
01-11-2021, 05:08 PM
Darn Tough 4 lyfe!

:hello:!!!:hello: