PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge 520 Brightness

jberenyi
05-04-2016, 08:49 PM
I finally got my 520 but also installed a screen protector that was anti-glare. Probably a mistake but in any event I was wondering if anyone else is little disappointed by the brightness and contrast of the display. I have to run the backlight on all the time and brightness level at 100% and it still does not show up as well as the 500 model.

05-04-2016, 09:39 PM
The screen protector may be a problem. And are you using polarized sunglasses? They can really darken the screen.

I have a couple 520's and they are bright and clear, adjusting to different light levels very effectively. Absolutely nothing to complain about.

joosttx
05-04-2016, 10:38 PM
I have not had an issue. Maybe the screen protector or I have low standards.

lhuerta
05-05-2016, 12:08 AM
..sent my 520 back after a few days. Compared to the 500 I found screen contrast was crappy even with backlight on. More importantly, found the lack of large font option (eg compared to using 3 data fields on 500) was a huge oversight by Garmin, especially given that 520 font is harder to read.

jberenyi
05-05-2016, 07:32 AM
..sent my 520 back after a few days. Compared to the 500 I found screen contrast was crappy even with backlight on. More importantly, found the lack of large font option (eg compared to using 3 data fields on 500) was a huge oversight by Garmin, especially given that 520 font is harder to read.

I plan on riding today without the screen protector (there goes $10) and if the display brightness and contrast does not improve at least to the level of the 500 she goes up for sale. Not that its a deal breaker but I also find the front buttons to be a drag. I have three bikes with K-Edge mounts and could not use them. I could only get to the front buttons with the supplied mount due to its higher stance above the bar. I'm also not impressed with the battery life over the 500. Be on the lookout for a week old Garmin this weekend.

Onno
05-05-2016, 08:32 AM
For me brightness on the 520 was a bit of an issue. I have it turned up to 100% all the time, but I've found it's only a problem with the map function. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it--just wish it had more memory.

zap
05-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Recently purchased a 520 and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm able to read 5 fields in the sun with custom polarized Oakley's. I don't think I have it set all the way up either. I use the Fizik stem out front mount.

R3awak3n
05-05-2016, 10:55 AM
i bet yalls batteries are going to be garbage by turning the brightness all the way up.

I dunno how different the screen is form the 520 to the 1000. On the 1000 when I am ridding in the daylight I turn the backlight completely off and its perfectly readable

Ralph
05-05-2016, 11:07 AM
I have a new Garmin Edge 20. I just set back light to auto. Works fine for me. But my numbers are good bit larger than the 500 series. Maybe others also.

echappist
05-05-2016, 11:28 AM
is there a button to control backlight? On the 500, you just press the power button when riding at night, and presto, you have backlight.

Now it seems to be hidden somewhere in the menu...

drewellison
05-05-2016, 01:50 PM
is there a button to control backlight? On the 500, you just press the power button when riding at night, and presto, you have backlight.

Now it seems to be hidden somewhere in the menu...

On the 520, the backlight comes on whenever ANY button is pressed - and that's how the manual says to activate it. But that also means that you do some other function at the same time. So if you want the backlight without changing the display, too bad. Whenever I want the backlight, I use the up or down arrow key, knowing I'll press the other key to get back to the screen I want. It is a design flaw IMHO.

On my 520, I have a non-glare screen protector and I don't wear sunglasses at all (no polarization issues), and I can see the contrast just fine when it's daylight.

R3awak3n
05-05-2016, 01:52 PM
On the 520, the backlight comes on whenever ANY button is pressed - and that's how the manual says to activate it. But that also means that you do some other function at the same time. So if you want the backlight without changing the display, too bad. Whenever I want the backlight, I use the up or down arrow key, knowing I'll press the other key to get back to the screen I want. It is a design flaw IMHO.

On my 520, I have a non-glare screen protector and I don't wear sunglasses at all (no polarization issues), and I can see the contrast just fine when it's daylight.

that is really annoying. I am glad I went with the 1000 over the 520. Not having a touch screen sounds really really annoying (on the thousand you just touch the screen and light comes on, and you don't change anything)

echappist
05-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Got it, thanks.

In certain ways the simplicity of the 500 definitely has its upsides. Frankly, i wouldn't have upgraded my 500 if it hadn't been for moisture leakage and some esoteric issue related to power meter autozero

bianchi10
05-05-2016, 07:11 PM
I like having my brightness at 100% but as stated above, it makes for bad longevity. I have to charge it every ride if I want to have it at 100%. I have found that 50% is a good compromise and am still able to see the screen well.

The main issue for me with the 520 is that the start button is in a ridiculous location. Who the crap thought it would be a good design with the start button on the bottom!?

R3awak3n
05-05-2016, 07:32 PM
I like having my brightness at 100% but as stated above, it makes for bad longevity. I have to charge it every ride if I want to have it at 100%. I have found that 50% is a good compromise and am still able to see the screen well.

The main issue for me with the 520 is that the start button is in a ridiculous location. Who the crap thought it would be a good design with the start button on the bottom!?

I think the idea was that you can grab the top and press the bottom maybe? or maybe no space to have them under the screen

but the place where the buttons are on the 510/810/1000 are totally fine so they should have just left them there

bianchi10
05-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Yeah. Having a front bar mount, mine is very close to my bar, which means I have to twist it to turn it on/off. Obviously, its one small step and not a deal breaker for me, but it isn't the most convenient thing either.

jberenyi
05-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Just getting back. My brightness was definitely affected by the screen protector being that it was the non-glare version and I have removed it. Even so, I still like the brightness and contrast of the Edge 500 over the 520.

zap
05-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Yeah. Having a front bar mount, mine is very close to my bar, which means I have to twist it to turn it on/off. Obviously, its one small step and not a deal breaker for me, but it isn't the most convenient thing either.

Not an issue with in front stem mount. Get a Fizik stem and appropriate barfly and it will be right there in front and inline with the stem.

echappist
05-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Not an issue with in front stem mount. Get a Fizik stem and appropriate barfly and it will be right there in front and inline with the stem.

fizik or 3t arx II stem would work. heck, i think even my old ritchey wcs stem (with the bolt holes being closer together) could work.

For the latter two, you need to buy the 3T-EYE support (which include special stem mounting plate and the mount) from 3T. cost $45 shipped

Clancy
05-26-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm agreeing with those who are disappointed. I had the 500, then the 510, now the 520.

I have a really hard time reading data it at times. I shouldn't have to crank the brightness up to do so. By doing this, runs battery down requiring more charging. This repeated more often must eventually shorten battery life.

Garmin touted better visibility w the 520. Not so, big disappointment.

Start/stop is poorly positioned. As far as suggestions to buy new stem and mount to make it more usable? Why? Shouldn't have to. It's poorly designed.

All in all when the 520 is compared to 510 and 500 Garmin missed the boat on some very key features. At the price it commands it should have been better designed.

SoCalSteve
05-26-2016, 06:02 PM
The longer I have and use my 1000, the more I am impressed with just about everything it does / has.

It just works well. Period.

R3awak3n
05-26-2016, 06:21 PM
The longer I have and use my 1000, the more I am impressed with just about everything it does / has.

It just works well. Period.

same here. I just can't go back to anything with a smaller screen. Also the touch screen is awesome, a step up from the 800/810. I was afraid was gonna be worst since it went capacitive but nope, much better