PDA

View Full Version : Add another to the hit list!

m_sasso
05-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Wacked the side of a car, bounced off and down to the pavement yesterday, after the driver made an illegal right turn across the marked bike lane I was traveling in. Cleared the bars and made first contact with my chin and right hand on a gas station concrete driveway. After an ambulance ride, I spent the afternoon and evening in the hospital getting patched up, plenty of stitches in my chin and two broken fingers in my right hand along with road rash, cuts and bruises on every limb.

Auto traffic was backed up and not moving much faster than a 20km crawl and I was traveling at a greater rate of speed in a highly marked bike lane passing slowed traffic to my left. This all took place on the down slope of a 4km long hill were I would normally travel at 45 to 50km/hour, however I was already riding the brakes weary of heavy traffic and likely traveling less than 35km/hour. The driver did not use a turn signal, made an abrupt, rapidly accelerating turn into the left out bound lane of a gas station drive way. Likely thinking out of frustration, to avoid further backed up traffic and cutting through the gas station to side streets. Post collision he stated “I didn't need gas”. He ignored the marked bike lane on his right, stated "you must have been in my blind spot", and obviously did not use his right side mirror.

I was scanning traffic for right turn signs and signals while approaching and over taking cars, but it happened so quickly, I had already scanned this car and was focused beyond at backed up traffic further ahead. I ended up on the pavement in the right lane of the gas station driveway 5 to 6 meters outside of the bike lane after rebounding off the right side door, roof pillar.

The bike, frame initially looks like it will survive, wheels, bars, seat, levers trashed.

And yes, I was wearing a helmet, gloves and safety glasses!

Here is a google image of the scene with the clearly marked bike lane;

oldpotatoe
05-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Wacked the side of a car, bounced off and on to the pavement yesterday after an illegal right turn across the marked bike lane I was traveling in down a hill. Cleared the bars and made first contact with my chin and right hand on the driveway pavement, after an ambulance ride spent the afternoon and evening in the hospital getting patched up, plenty of stitches in my chin and two broken fingers in my right hand along with road rash, cuts and bruises on every limb.

I was parallel to his right door, the driver, used no turn signal, last second abrupt turn trying to avoid backed up traffic and cut through a gas station. He rapidly turned into the left lane of the gas station drive way, ignoring the marked bike lane to his immediate right, I ended up on the pavement in the right lane of the driveway after rebounding off the rear fender of the car.

The bike, frame initially looks like it will survive, wheels, bars, seat, levers trashed.

And yes, I was wearing a helmet, not a scratch on it!

Hit and run? Bad enough ya get nailed but to also get hit by a coward. Heal fast.

distanc3
05-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Glad you're ok Marc, speedy recovery!

Mzilliox
05-04-2016, 12:01 PM
jesus, sorry to hear and speedy recovery.

stephenmarklay
05-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Sorry man :(. I guess riding a bike means occasional falls. The good news is the Giro starts Friday so you can watch that while not riding.

guido
05-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Ouch! That sucks. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

paredown
05-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Sorry to read this. Heal fast!

(I hate frickin' stitches in the chin--you have my deepest sympathy!)

It sounds as if Vancouver has a fair share of a-hole drivers, and it is getting a bit tense between cyclists and drivers---I happened to be looking at the Georgia Straight yesterday and spotted this article:

http://www.straight.com/blogra/574386/wow-you-really-hate-cyclists-vancouver

This was a follow up to an altercation where a motorist beat on a cyclist, and it sounds as if the police did not do anything for the rider...

(the rest of the articles about the incident are below this one)

MattTuck
05-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Sorry to hear.

Here's to a quick recovery :beer:

Be careful out there.

makoti
05-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Glad you lived to tell the tale. The guy didn't stop? Anybody get make/plate? Good luck with the healing.

m_sasso
05-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Yes, he did stop and was apologetic, said he didn't see me and "didn't need gas", received all his relevant info from the ambulance drivers. Couldn't go far any way, area was pretty much grid locked with rush hour and construction traffic.

A wonderful woman also stopped who witnessed the entire event, rendered first aid, helped soak up some of the blood, called for help and provided her contact info. She gets 5 stars, need to give her a call this afternoon and express my appreciation.

Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes, but my jaw still hurts!

soulspinner
05-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Yes, he did stop and was apologetic, said he didn't see me and "didn't need gas", received all his relevant info from the ambulance drivers. Couldn't go far any way, area was pretty much grid locked with rush hour and construction traffic.

A wonderful woman also stopped who witnessed the entire event, rendered first aid, helped soak up some of the blood, called for help and provided her contact info. She gets 5 stars, need to give her a call this afternoon and express my appreciation.

Get better! Just missed one of these myself the other day( right turn hook). Stay vigilant.

commonguy001
05-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Hang in there Marc and get healed up quick!

As a fellow member of the drilled by a car club it can sometimes take a while but it never kept me away longer than required to heal up.

zmudshark
05-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Glad you are mostly ok.

I was hit when I was about 33 years old, banged up pretty good, but seemingly recovered. 25 years later I was unable to continue working because of injuries sustained in that accident.

Moral of the story? Lawyer up and get complete medical evaluations.

Plum Hill
05-04-2016, 02:56 PM
I'd contact the gas station to see if they have security cameras and, if so, get video documentation of the incident.
You may need iit.
Trust me.

Ralph
05-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Just thankful it wasn't worse. On a recent ride, a friend just in front of me got "right hooked" about same as you, he went down hard. Busted hip. It's dangerous out there. Here's hoping for your speedy recovery.

benb
05-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Good luck with the healing, this sucks but you'll rebound quickly from the sound of it.

CSKeller
05-04-2016, 04:34 PM
So sorry to hear about your crash.
Best wishes for a rapid recovery!

So glad to hear the person who hit you stopped and that wonderful woman that helped you provides me with some hope for humanity.

I almost got taken out this morning in a traffic circle on a military base. You gotta have your head on a swivel...I feel like we need to look around so much more than any fighter pilot!

2metalhips
05-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Best wishes for a complete recovery.

shovelhd
05-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Heal up quick.

Schmed
05-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Gee - sorry to hear that, and it sounds that you are lucky to have escaped with the (admittedly, bad) injuries that you have.

That lady that helped you is an angel. Almost makes up for the bad news. Almost.

velomonkey
05-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Man, I hate reading this stuff.

Had a bunch of stitches when I ripped my lip in a hockey. If you could see my wife it must be true - chicks. dig. scars. (way more interesting than tattoos.)

Heal up.

Ronsonic
05-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Heal. Get the bike fixed and get back on it.

don compton
05-04-2016, 10:18 PM
These situationa are so frustrating. At 64yo I am wondering whether or not it's time to move on.:crap:

pbarry
05-04-2016, 10:35 PM
So sorry to hear about your crash.
Best wishes for a rapid recovery!

So glad to hear the person who hit you stopped and that wonderful woman that helped you provides me with some hope for humanity.

I almost got taken out this morning in a traffic circle on a military base. You gotta have your head on a swivel...I feel like we need to look around so much more than any fighter pilot!

Right?? Scan, scan, scan again, and..

miss the distracted driver making a bold move across your path.:crap:

Best wishes for quick healing, Marc.

m_sasso
05-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Hey I am 63 and determined to keep pedaling well beyond 64. This was not my first hit and it likely won't be my last. Just takes a bit longer to heal up but plenty of time for that. I rather go down broken then leave this place from in activity.

geordanh
05-05-2016, 01:15 AM
Aww man, that really sucks. Hope you recover well.

Fortunate that you weren't going as fast down that stretch as most or you typically would.

OtayBW
05-05-2016, 03:59 AM
This Sucks. Glad you're OK. :beer:

oldpotatoe
05-05-2016, 06:30 AM

BUT did you call the police? Ya gotta call the police. In any case, talk to a lawyer. The next time you talk to this yokel, after he talked to his insurance company, he'll say it was your fault. At least file a police report, talk to a lawyer.

soulspinner
05-05-2016, 09:30 AM
BUT did you call the police? Ya gotta call the police. In any case, talk to a lawyer. The next time you talk to this yokel, after he talked to his insurance company, he'll say it was your fault. At least file a police report, talk to a lawyer.

No downside to this...

m_sasso
05-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Police came and did a crash investigation, I have yet to receive a copy of the report.

The Provincial Government provides the only mandatory auto insurance available, ICBC and their copy of the police report is in the works.

I have filed a claim with this insurance company but have yet to hear back from their claim adjuster to provide a report of my version of the collision, only basic personal contact information.

Visiting my family doctor this afternoon to review the injuries.

Have been recommended a local lawyer however have made no-contact at this point.

Have taken lots of pictures of the injuries and their progress.

Are you suggesting I speak with a lawyer before talking to the insurance company on my own?

slidey
05-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Glad you're in one piece!

Here's wishing you a very speedy, and complete recovery.

p nut
05-05-2016, 01:32 PM
I don't know what your bike looks like, but if the fork and wheels are trashed, I wouldn't trust the frame either.

Good luck with the recovery.

OtayBW
05-05-2016, 03:56 PM
I have filed a claim with this insurance company but have yet to hear back from their claim adjuster to provide a report of my version of the collision, only basic personal contact information.

Visiting my family doctor this afternoon to review the injuries.

Are you suggesting I speak with a lawyer before talking to the insurance company on my own?
My neck hurts just thinking about this....just saying...