PDA

View Full Version : Support the Texas4000's ride for cancer awareness!

Eric E
06-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi folks,

If you are in the western US, Texas4000 (see Texas4000.org for details) may be coming through your community. These 50 college cycists are going from Austin to Alaska to promote cancer prevention and awareness.They are split into two groups, one currently in Utah headed west to the California coast where they will turn north, and one going up the Rocky Mountains. If you want to be inspired, check out the individual descriptions of their motivations on the texas4000.org website. These folks are are serious about their goals and are not in this strictly for the ride (for many, this is their first significant trip on their first road bike) - they have raised over $260,000 for their cause.

I just hosted the Rocky Mountain group in Fort Collins with the help of our cycling community and the local newspaper. We put together a community barbeque and I guided them out of town this morning. The students appreciated the fact that we knew just how much bicyclists can eat.

This morning they all awoke at 5:00 am to get on the road to Laramie. They were the most cohesive and together group of cyclists that I’ve every experienced - a joy to host. They spread out on spare beds and foam pads for the night and basically took over the cleanup and cooking chores.

I was surprised to learn that they had spent several nights in cramped quarters on cement floors. SO, take a moment, find out if they will pass near your community (e.g., Bozeman, here they come), and help them voice their cause and fuel their journey (see the website for details as to how to volunteer).

Best, Eric