PDA

View Full Version : Bad stuff happening to me

adamhell
05-03-2016, 10:30 PM
hi
in the past couple weeks, i have had some annoying things happen to me. last week I broke two chains, & I realized one of my newer frames' seat stay separated from the seat tube at the seat cluster. (luckily the manufacturer is fixing that one free of charge). NOW, i am realizing something's screwed up in my chris king hub on my MTB.

it seems like maybe the pawls are failing to snap back quickly enough to engage when I pedal quickly, if that makes sense. it only happens when i quickly press down on the pedals, if I ease into the pedal motion, they engage. once they have let go, they don't engage unless I stop the cranks from spinning, then re-engage more slowly.

has anybody had this happen to their hub? maybe some dirt got in there and is slowing things down. i'm hoping all it will require is a cleaning.

eBAUMANN
05-03-2016, 10:34 PM
this happened to a friend of mine, i forget what he ended up doing but i would get in tough with CK asap.

PS - you must post a price to post in the classifieds ;)

miguel
05-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Why haven't you taken it in to the shop for a rebuild? There's a problem with the spring or the pawls.

Disassemble and rebuild

I'm sorry for the **** happening. Life hits hard soemtimes

adamhell
05-03-2016, 11:09 PM
oops, I meant to post this in general discussions. mods feel free to move this to gen discuss. I will take it to a shop soon. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

LouDeeter
05-03-2016, 11:39 PM
I would change my screen name first. See if that helps.

adamhell
05-04-2016, 12:01 AM
I would change my screen name first. See if that helps.

yeah and start reading the bible? haha nah

ljklassen
05-04-2016, 12:45 AM
yeah and start reading the bible? haha nah

Worth a try...you could do worse

weaponsgrade
05-04-2016, 01:06 AM
I had a similar thing happen with my king hub. I took it to a shop for an overhaul. I thought I might've ruined something but after they took it apart, cleaned, and reoiled it was back to normal.

danielpack22@ma
05-04-2016, 06:58 AM
I had the same thing happen with a King hub. A good cleaning and grease and it's been fine for the past 6 years.

moobikes
05-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Your rear hub most likely just needs a clean and lube. Easy to do it yourself. Instructions from CK are good. No special tools needed other than allen wrenches and jewelers screwdrivers or similar for the bearing seals. Take the cassette off and give the driveshell bearings a clean/lube if they need it.

No pawls in a King rear hub. The drive rings are exactly like those on a DT 240, only both of them are inside the hubshell behind the main bearing. It's very well shielded from crap but needs attention now and then.

If your rear hub is well used, the worm gear/ helical splines on the alu drive shell could be worn and that could impede engagement. One of the drive rings slides on those splines and can wear it out.

bicycletricycle
05-04-2016, 07:27 AM
A clean and relube should do it

parallelfish
05-04-2016, 07:34 AM
it seems like maybe the pawls are failing to snap back quickly enough to engage when I pedal quickly, if that makes sense.

Unable to connect to your link to observe your issue. However, there are no pawls. King is a ring drive system. Has the hub been adjusted to eliminate any excessive bearing play? Excessive play can affect ring engagement, and eventually lead to damage to the rings themselves.

Has the hub been serviced (cleaned and lubricated with a prescribed lube) as described in the user manual? Again, dirt, or an improper lube can affect engagement.

Also check that the spring that tensions the drive ring against the driven ring is intact and functioning.

The ring drive system is very simple. Just has to be kept clean to ensure that the drive ring freely floats on the helix, and that there is no dirt between the drive and driven rings, so that they can engage freely.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2016, 07:35 AM
hi
in the past couple weeks, i have had some annoying things happen to me. last week I broke two chains, & I realized one of my newer frames' seat stay separated from the seat tube at the seat cluster. (luckily the manufacturer is fixing that one free of charge). NOW, i am realizing something's screwed up in my chris king hub on my MTB. (see link)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE-D1yLRjz9/

it seems like maybe the pawls are failing to snap back quickly enough to engage when I pedal quickly, if that makes sense. it only happens when i quickly press down on the pedals, if I ease into the pedal motion, they engage. in that instagram video, you'll see that once they have let go, they don't engage unless I stop the cranks from spinning, then re-engage more slowly.

has anybody had this happen to their hub? maybe some dirt got in there and is slowing things down. i'm hoping all it will require is a cleaning.

Frame-Bummer...glad the maker is standing by the frame..some don't

Chain-installing correctly? Using a snap link and not pushing an installed pin and reinstalling another pin at same location?

Rear hub-either takeapart and clean/lube yerself or have a decent LBS do it..not uncommon on CK hubs and easy 'fix'.

Idris Icabod
05-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Exactly as you described happened last week to my buddy riding a King rear hub. Clean and relube has it as good as new.

adamhell
05-04-2016, 11:06 AM
thanks for all replies. the hub is rather new, i'll get it cleaned & re-lubed. I deleted that video from my instagram so the link is dead now.

tv_vt
05-04-2016, 11:32 AM
Sounds like bad things happening to your bike parts rather than you. As the saying goes, entropy happens.

Hope you're doing ok otherwise.:)

regularguy412
05-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Ahhh... just attribute it to all that power yer puttin' down -- e.g: broken chains, suspect pawls, broken seat cluster (you'd be surprised just how MUCH stress that seat cluster intersection takes from the pedaling motion and just plain weight-bearing -- the fastback stays on my CSI broke loose and Serotta fixed em on their nickel!).

All joking aside,, you've had your '3 things',, so now yer bound for some good luck!

Mike in AR:beer:

kittytrail
05-06-2016, 03:53 PM
nah, throw that hubset in the trash and get a 40th anniversary complete kit for your Black Mountain Cycles monster cross! green on green is quite hipsterish! :D

:help: