PDA

View Full Version : Oakley Asian Fit

Raffy
05-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Just wanted to share, in case you've always wondered what Asian Fit means for Oakley sunglasses.

Below are Radar EV lenses, the one on top is a Asian Fit Fire lens and the other is a regular fit Prizm Trail lens. You can see the Asian Fit is cut higher and even if its slight, it helps folks like me not hit the bottom of the lenses with our cheekbones. YMMV, esp. with other models.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/0627a75febbc03a0c580bf292cf1e8ae.jpg

nathanong87
05-03-2016, 01:46 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/4WHkXdDx8wjS0/giphy.gif

but yea i've wondered what it meant. I'm asian but got good results from switching to the other nose piece from oakley. Didn't need to do any lens or frame specific stuff.

foo_fighter
05-03-2016, 03:22 PM
On some models the nose bridge is also bigger...which also helps move the lenses farther out.
It looks like they changed the name to "asia fit" from "asian fit" recently.

https://www.revantoptics.com/blog/asian-fit-explained/

Tickdoc
05-03-2016, 03:25 PM
On some models the nose bridge is also bigger...which also helps move the lenses farther out.

Is there an Italian version, to accommodate my Roman Snauze?

LJohnny
05-03-2016, 03:40 PM
For the split jacket, not discontinued, I thought the lenses were the same for Asia and regular fit.

parris
05-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Asian fit Oakleys differ a bit model to model. Some of the models require a different lens in order to fit the differing shape of the frame. I have Asian fit FlakJackets which replaced my standard fit FlakJackets due to the fact that they fit my face better. The differences with the FJ's at least are the frame doesn't curve as much, the bridge is slightly wider, the temple pieces come off the frame a little more "round", and the lenses sit a little more vertical vs. being raked in at the bottom.

I really didn't like the way the regular FJ fit my face because unless I had the thick nose pieces installed the brow bar obstructed the view when I ride. If the thick nose pieces were installed wind was funneled into my eyes causing all kinds of problems.

I just picked up a pair of Smith Optics approach glasses in my latest RX and they fit/cover better for me. The quality is very similar and so far I'm quite happy with them. They especially block the wind better for me.

buckfifty
05-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Some Oakley models will slender down the lens shape a bit to accommodate Asian faces. And some models, like the Jawbreakers, have the different nose piece to switch out

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
05-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Thought they were wider and with longer legs and with the nose piece a little bit higher. Interesting anyways.

beeatnik
05-04-2016, 04:14 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/4WHkXdDx8wjS0/giphy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqETyU9k0lM

ultraman6970
05-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Not being racist, I'm asian i can say those things :D, besides that Im blind too and ok with math :P And just because of the glasses I need I cant use this type of shades :/

Seriously always wonder about the differences.

redir
05-04-2016, 07:48 PM
I just choked on my Sierra Nevada Stout!

Dark beer... You know :p

bcroslin
05-04-2016, 08:13 PM
So, is there any truth to what someone recently told me that the kids versions of Oakleys is the same as the adult? I've got a little head (anti-Asian?) and if the kids Oakleys work for 1/2 the price I might buy a pair.

mktng
05-04-2016, 08:15 PM
yea. so I bought a new set of Jawbreakers.
they were not marked "asian fit" anywhere...
they fit nice..

buddybikes
05-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Wife bought a pair of the 1/4 jackets (kids) prescription, frame were dirt cheap they even fit me pretty well. Worth putting on, may be more suitable than the bigger ones.

velomonkey
05-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Just wanted to share, in case you've always wondered what Asian Fit means for Oakley sunglasses.

In the picture I can't see your eyes.

Just sayin'.

weiwentg
08-12-2017, 08:45 PM
I just met with an Oakley optician at the Mall of America store a couple weeks ago. Hopefully this will add to the discussion.

I'm Chinese, and I currently have a pair of Asia fit Flak Jackets (original version). I tried on a bunch of standard frames, and the optician said that in terms of face curvature, I appeared to fit the standard frames just fine. I believe the Asia Fit frames and lenses are, where possible, curved less than the standard fit frames and lenses. If you - whatever ethnicity you are - have had your cheeks touch the bottom of the frames or lenses, then you may want to consider the Asia Fit frames. Or if you don't have that problem on a particular frame, then just get the standard frame, because it's more common and easier to source replacement lenses.

The nosepieces on many (or all? not sure) Oakley frames are available in Asia Fit too. The Asia Fit nosepieces are the bigger ones. For example, I bought a pair of replacement earsocks and nosepieces for my Flak Jackets 2 years ago, and they came with both standard fit and Asia fit nosepieces (so I just installed the bigger pair). This is to correct for people with narrower nose bridges. If you have had your glasses slide down your nose, then you may want the Asia Fit nose bridges (or if they're wire frames, just bend the nose pieces in). This is something I've had a long-standing problem with in many frames with non-wire nosepads (e.g. my regular Swissflex glasses, which have light plastic nose pads). Again, this could apply regardless of your ethnicity. My wife is White, and she's mentioned that she thinks that Swissflex's Asia fit nose bridges are better for her, because with the stock nose bridges, they kept sliding down her nose.

It looks like Oakley's regular glasses now come (http://www.oakley.com/en/prescription/) with 4 different widths of nose bridges. This doesn't apply to their sport sunglasses yet. Worth watching.

Personally, I don't consider the term Asia Fit to be racist. There's good evidence that there are no fundamental differences between races in some characteristics, like intelligence. There's evidence that there are some fundamental differences between races, such as height, weight, and obviously skin color. I don't know if the morphological differences that get lumped under "Asia Fit" apply across all Asian ethnicities, or if they apply to some non-Asian ethnicities. And these are based on average differences - individual people are going to be different. What matters is what works for you. That's why I brought up my wife's example. Whatever the case, if you have had either or both the problems described above, there is a potential solution for each one separately.