PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist's Palsy

moose8
05-02-2016, 02:45 PM
So I think I just had my first occurrence of "cyclist's palsy." My little fingers/side of my hands went numb approximately 36 hours or so after a 200k that I rode Saturday. They bent like they were claws or something and woke me up twice last night with a strange tingly/numb sensation - not really pain, but not comfortable. And each time it was both hands, so it was a little weird.

Nothing about my set up has changed - I have ridden many long rides with the exact set-up and never had a problem. I had a fitting two years ago and have been very happy and haven't tweaked it at all. The only changes I can identify are: (1) my gloves are really used and the padding has definitely compressed, and (2) I rode this 200k with virtually no training. Since my kid arrived 7 months ago I've only gone on one other bike ride of any distance, and that was only 56 miles versus the 127 of Saturday. Usually at this point in the year when I do the 200k I have more miles under my belt.

Does anyone here have any experience with this, and do you think new gloves will fix it? I just don't want to hurt myself by riding, but I am already dreaming of suffering through the 300k in a few weeks, though I also won't have any time to train more, but have done them in the past and like to suffer in non-permanently debilitating ways.

cp43
05-02-2016, 02:55 PM
It could be that the lack of training means that you're sitting on the bike differently than you used to be. And, that you're putting more weight on your hands.

New gloves won't hurt, but I would guess they won't solve the problem.

I was the the Brookline control on Saturday, it was good to see you!

moose8
05-02-2016, 02:57 PM
It could be that the lack of training means that you're sitting on the bike differently than you used to be. And, that you're putting more weight on your hands.

New gloves won't hurt, but I would guess they won't solve the problem.

I was the the Brookline control on Saturday, it was good to see you!

Small world! I'm slightly ashamed to admit that after all my talk about drinking some beer after, by the time I got home I was only barely able to drink one beer before falling asleep. Plus side is I have a bunch left for the rest of the week though.

cp43
05-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Small world! I'm slightly ashamed to admit that after all my talk about drinking some beer after, by the time I got home I was only barely able to drink one beer before falling asleep. Plus side is I have a bunch left for the rest of the week though.

After a ride that long, one beer is all that's really needed. :beer:

I hope your hands feel better for the 300k.

buddybikes
05-02-2016, 03:10 PM
ulner nerve flare up (in elbow) For a while, don't bend yor elbow too much.

benb
05-02-2016, 03:16 PM
I would suspect now that you've done some damage you're going to find padded gloves do more good than harm.

Holding babies and then toddlers is pretty rough on your wrists and hands since you have to lift with an open grip and lots of awkward positions. I ran into trouble a similar time after my son was born. Computer use is pretty bad too.

Gel gloves really irritate the crap out of my ulnar nerve now, I think they always were it just took an injury for me to realize it.

That's a pretty crazy distance to do untrained.

I'd get to the doctor too.. if your hand cramped up into a claw you've got a pretty decent case. I had tingling for months but never any loss of motor function.