PDA

View Full Version : Is my shifter hosed?

tuxbailey
05-02-2016, 08:24 AM
On my commuter bike I have Shimano Tiagra 3x9. It is from 2001.

Recently I noticed difficulties in rear shifting, mainly going from small to big. Sometimes I need to swing the level 3-4 times before it catches. I thought it was the cables, which hasn't been changed since 2001. I got new ones and replaced the cables. It shifts fine when it is on the bike stand.

On this morning's commute I noticed the same problem. So I think something is wrong with the shifter. I wonder if this is something that I can repair or should I just look for a used pair of 3x9 shifters or get the new Sora shifters:

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Sora-Shift-Levers/dp/B00IIAFQ6M

Which has pretty decent reviews.

peanutgallery
05-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Squirt a little wd40 inside the shifter first before giving amazon any business

Pierre
05-02-2016, 08:29 AM
agreed - I do not think it is toast either. WD40 should free it up. Go through a cycle of spraying WD40 then shifting several times - do that about 6 times. Then let it dry and spray some silicon lube in there. Don't be afraid to really douse the innards with the WD40.

tuxbailey
05-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Thanks!

Good thing I have both wd-40 and silicone lube in the house.

I will certainly give it a try.

josephr
05-02-2016, 08:33 AM
possible the ratcheting system in the shifter is just worn out...you definitely got your money's worth if you've had them that long! Sora 3x9 are pretty reliable...had these on one bike before and they ran great with a XT derailleur. Shifting felt sure and solid. The only STI shifter I've heard of people having problems with are the Tiagra 4500/4600, no personal experience with them and have a buddy who's on the 4500 and they're still working.

bikinchris
05-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Typically, the grease in the shifter gets hard and stops the pawls and springs from moving freely. WD40 is the trick to soften the grease.

weisan
05-02-2016, 09:00 AM
15 years running....:hello:

oldpotatoe
05-02-2016, 09:03 AM
On my commuter bike I have Shimano Tiagra 3x9. It is from 2001.

Recently I noticed difficulties in rear shifting, mainly going from small to big. Sometimes I need to swing the level 3-4 times before it catches. I thought it was the cables, which hasn't been changed since 2001. I got new ones and replaced the cables. It shifts fine when it is on the bike stand.

On this morning's commute I noticed the same problem. So I think something is wrong with the shifter. I wonder if this is something that I can repair or should I just look for a used pair of 3x9 shifters or get the new Sora shifters:

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Sora-Shift-Levers/dp/B00IIAFQ6M

Which has pretty decent reviews.

Get some 'STI repair kit'..WD-40, then some thin, spray lube. Spray WD-40 inside shifter guts while shifting up and down..it 'may' come back. Old grease in there holds various parts down or back..if it comes back, spray some light lube in there. If not-replace.

FlashUNC
05-02-2016, 09:27 AM
I did the old WD-40/spray lube trick on my old Ultegra 6500 shifters when they were dying. Bought me another couple months, but eventually they gave up the ghost for good.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2016, 09:31 AM
15 years running....:hello:

Only 2 types of shimano STI shifters. Those that have failed and those that will.

->>>:p:):D;):banana::eek::cool:

Dead Man
05-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Ive got some RSX STIs from like '92ish that still shift perfectly

Liberal application of wd40 recently reinvigorated them

Ti Designs
05-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Only 2 types of shimano STI shifters. Those that have failed and those that will.

That line can be applied to so many things...

DFABob
05-02-2016, 10:47 AM
I'm just going to put this out there...

Wd-40 is a solvent and not a lubricant.

As someone already mentioned. You should follow up with some silicone grease if you're going to go this route.

Wd-40 should never be used on bearings. It will dislodge all the particles and create a lapping compounds. I.e. A paste that behaves lake sandpaper and wrecks your ****.

I prefer to use disc brake rotor clearer from the auto parts store, followed by some silicone lube once it has dried. This stuff does have the disadvantage of making your hoods a little "tacky" if it gets on them, but it has many other uses in a bike shop.

Wd-40 is safe for rubber, and might be the best for you in this situation, but don't go crazy with the stuff. It can cause more harm then good.

cp43
05-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Get some 'STI repair kit'..WD-40, then some thin, spray lube. Spray WD-40 inside shifter guts while shifting up and down..it 'may' come back. Old grease in there holds various parts down or back..if it comes back, spray some light lube in there. If not-replace.

I don't have a current need for it, but for future reference, what spray lube would you recommend? I have some, but I don't know if it's the right thickness for this application.

Thanks,

Chris

peanutgallery
05-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Ayyyyyyyyyyy

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/myth-and-magic-wd-40-cold-war-lube-changed-america-164008

As someone already mentioned. You should follow up with some silicone grease if you're going to go this route.

Wd-40 should never be used on bearings. It will dislodge all the particles and create a lapping compounds. I.e. A paste that behaves lake sandpaper and wrecks your ****.

I prefer to use disc brake rotor clearer from the auto parts store, followed by some silicone lube once it has dried. This stuff does have the disadvantage of making your hoods a little "tacky" if it gets on them, but it has many other uses in a bike shop.

Wd-40 is safe for rubber, and might be the best for you in this situation, but don't go crazy with the stuff. It can cause more harm then good.

Dead Man
05-02-2016, 11:25 AM

Incorrect.

WD40 is a lubricant.

It's also a penetrating oil.

It's also a solvent.

It's also a water displacer.

It's also fish bait.

It's whatever it needs to be, so long as it fits the application.

True - people use it as a lubricant incorrectly, but it most definitely IS a lubricant; where a solvent-carried light lubricant is needed.

dave thompson
05-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Incorrect.

WD40 is a lubricant.

It's also a solvent.

It's also fish bait.

True - people use it as a lubricant incorrectly, but it most definitely IS a lubricant; where a solvent-carried light lubricant is needed.
This attribute is largely unrecognized but extremely popular with those who know about it. It works.

DFABob
05-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Incorrect.

WD40 is a lubricant.

It's also a solvent.

It's also fish bait.

Taken from the wd-40 website:

Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil. Fact: Consumers have told us for years that they've caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

Humm, you had me until the fish tales.

I'll say it again. Just because it has lubricant in it, doesn't make it a good lubricant. Be careful spraying this stuff on your "bait and tackle", and your bicycle.

Dead Man
05-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Taken from the wd-40 website:

Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil. Fact: Consumers have told us for years that they've caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

Humm, you had me until the fish tales.

I'll say it again. Just because it has lubricant in it, doesn't make it a good lubricant. Be careful spraying this stuff on your "bait and tackle", and your bicycle.

Been using it on my bicycle for YEARS - as a cleaner. I do use it as a lube in my shifters - which works beautifully.

guyintense
05-02-2016, 12:49 PM
The trouble with WD-40 is it drys into a gooey mess that can really gum up the works. Use Kroil instead.

tuxbailey
05-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Well, I definitely will use silicone spray since I have it.

I also have spray disc brake cleaner as well as WD-40. I also have some PB Blaster but I think it might melt the innards of the shifter :)

So, WD-40 or Disc Brake cleaner?

dave thompson
05-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Use WD40 to blast/dissolve/remove the old grease. Brake cleaner *may* be harmful to something on your bike. After I've done that, I'll loosen both front and rear brake cable pinch bolts which will allow you to squeeze the brake levers and exposed the inside workings of the shifters. I'll dab some Phil grease on the ratchets and other working parts inside the shifters until I'm satisfied that every thing is properly lubed.

Dead Man
05-02-2016, 09:19 PM
I remember something about chlorinated versus non-chlorinated with regard to plastic and/or aluminum... IIRC, non-chlorinated is pretty material safe, chlorinated will eat your **** up.

Another note on WD40- it will eat through some (maybe even all?) gumwall sealants... So keep that crap off your tires

tuxbailey
05-02-2016, 09:24 PM
I remember something about chlorinated versus non-chlorinated with regard to plastic and/or aluminum... IIRC, non-chlorinated is pretty material safe, chlorinated will eat your **** up.

Another note on WD40- it will eat through some (maybe even all?) gumwall sealants... So keep that crap off your tires

Great tip. I will remove the front wheel while I do this.

jc031699
05-03-2016, 09:54 PM
An oldie but a goody-

Pulled from the distant recesses of our collective memories.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=128412&highlight=Shifter+wd40

That'll do it if nothing else will.

tuxbailey
05-04-2016, 06:59 AM
An oldie but a goody-

Pulled from the distant recesses of our collective memories.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=128412&highlight=Shifter+wd40

That'll do it if nothing else will.

Nice.

LegendRider
05-04-2016, 09:07 AM
My LBS's technique for reviving STI shifters is:

1. Blast internals with Finish Line Speed Degreaser
2. Re-lubricate with TriFlow aerosol

Worked for me on a set of 7800 shifters.